In search of Skoll ... [Short Story] - Completed

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

In search of Skoll ... [Short Story] - Completed

Unread post by Vephriel »

Part 1

The deep snow was crisp beneath her boots, every footfall breaking the thin icy layer that had hardened at its surface.

Vephriel trudged through the frozen landscape before her, bright green eyes narrowed against the driving snow. Her cloak did little to ward away the cold fingers of wind that blew in from the north, and her hands were growing numb inside their fur-lined gloves.

Large shadows passed overhead occasionally, making the blood elf pause and glance upwards warily. Proto-drakes on the hunt. The blue behemoths that patrolled the skies did not pose any direct threat, however she knew she was in range of their nesting grounds. There was no telling what a protective mother would do to an intrusive presence, so she erred on the side of caution and advanced as subtly as she was able. Luckily she was a great deal smaller than their prey of choice: primarily woolly rhinos and the odd mammoth.

Progress was slow at such a high altitude. The air was thin, and the plummeting temperature did not do her any favours. Jagged cliffs reared rocky faces on either side, and the fierce wind ripped at her form. She tried to conserve her breathing and movements to preserve as much energy as she could. Though her cheeks stung from the cold, her eyes burned with a fierce determination that carried her forwards.

The Storm Peaks seemed to oppose her very presence. The mountains were not her enemy, they had no sentience, however everything about them served to hinder her journey. The frigid area was hostile enough to permit only the strongest to survive. The barbaric and formidable Vrykul were one of the few races that had carved out a living in these desolate surroundings. Vephriel had skirted the borders of their villages earlier, hardly keen on a confrontation. She scoffed a little in her hood, her breath escaping as a puff of vapour. She was most certainly strong, and in the end she would get what she desired here.

Though she felt alone and uneasy without a companion by her side, this quest was one that she had to accomplish on her own. What she sought amid these towering cliffs was something far greater than any treasure she could imagine. The thought brought a smile back to her face, and she plowed on with renewed resolve.

Legend had it that a great mythical beast was known to appear in these very peaks. Taking the form of a mighty blue wolf, the entity was said to have lightning dancing across its pelt, and a roar like thunder. Some insisted that it was an elemental god that ruled the stormy skies, others that it was a vengeful spirit personified into wrath itself. Though Vephriel could not ascertain which rumour held truth, she did know that something was out there....and she intended to find it.

She inhaled deeply, and the air sent an invigorating wave of cold through her body. Her mind felt sharp and focused despite her fatigue, and excitement tingled at the edge of her thoughts.

The hours passed by and the weather slowly improved. Snowfall thinned and began to drift gently around her, flakes clinging to her eyelashes. A heavy silence blanketed the area, save for the soft steps of the solitary hunter. She had made it through the wide valley. Ahead of her the cliffs dwindled down to reveal an open plain which was her final destination.

Night had fallen upon the frozen terrain, yet the shimmering white surface reflected moonlight to illuminate everything as bright as day. Vephriel couldn't help but admire the beauty of the remote region, gazing up at a canopy of stars and shifting lights.

A sudden tremor drew her attention down from the sky, and she barely had time to move as a large shape erupted from the ground before her. She rolled sideways to put distance between herself and the attacker, muscles protesting at the abrupt movement. Her breath caught in her throat as she looked up.

A Jormungar. The giant worm twisted its muscular, flattened body in her direction. Rows of crystalline spines jutted out from its flanks, its head equipped with twin curving tusks. The creature roared to display a maw filled with rows of sharp teeth, rancid spittle spraying outwards.

Vephriel grabbed her rifle, backing up slowly while keeping the gun aimed at the monster. Her fingers were numb, her limbs cold and tired. She was wholly unprepared for the encounter and could only hope adrenaline would keep her quick on her feet.

The beast advanced towards her, slithering its massive bulk over ice and snow. It shifted its head as it moved, as if sniffing for her location. Jormungar were naturally blind, relying mostly on movement and vibration to track their prey. Unfortunately she had nowhere to hide, and even the most cautious of footsteps would be felt by the worm. It knew roughly where she was, and it was drawing closer by the second.

Swallowing against the lump in her throat, she made a quick decision and fired off a round to the left. The worm hissed at the noise, momentarily distracted by where the bullet had bit into the ground. Vephriel sprinted in the opposite direction as fast as her legs would carry her, knowing that it would not be fooled for long.

Before she had taken three strides a terrible growl sounded behind her. She knew without looking back that it was pursuing her. As she ran her practiced hands reloaded the gun, this time with mammoth cutters. The thick hide of a Jormungar would be invulnerable to regular ammunition, and she could only hope the other bullets would do at least some damage.

A cluster of trees became visible in the distance, and a risky but desperate escape plan formed in her mind. A quick glance over her shoulder revealed the worm to be much closer than she anticipated. She fired, aiming for the head. The shot connected and the Jormungar screeched in pain, halting its advance. With a burst of speed she changed direction and darted for the trees. As she neared them her long legs vaulted her upwards towards a branch. She grabbed it and swung her body up, climbing deep into the pine. Then she became perfectly still and waited, heart pounding in her chest.

The Jormungar had shaken off the pain from its bullet wound, growling dangerously. It waved its head back and forth for a moment, attempting to locate her. If it figured out her hiding place she was as good as dead - the tree was not nearly tall enough to keep her out of its reach.

The worm snapped its mouth in irritation. It made a few sweeping passes of the area, snarling intermittently. It had lost her tracks, and clearly could not detect any sort of movement on the ground near it. Eventually the beast seemed to abandon the search, roaring its frustration before burrowing back beneath the snow.

Vephriel finally allowed herself to exhale, relief washing through her.

... To Be Continued ...

Vephriel

Re: In search of Skoll ... [Short Story]

Part 2

The campfire refused to light.

Vephriel muttered darkly beneath her breath as she attempted once again to coax a flame from the meager pile of twigs. The trees in the area were small and bent from exposure to the elements, they didn't have much to offer in terms of good tinder.

She tossed the flint over her shoulder in exasperation, tugging her cloak tight around her body. Her mind wandered longingly to thoughts of her core hound and the furnace-like warmth he radiated.

"No use daydreaming Veph, you'll just have to put up with the cold." she murmured with a sigh.

Her shelter consisted of a small rocky overhang that jutted out from the mountain wall. She had been forced to climb up a few craggy edges in order to reach the narrow plateau where it was located. There wasn't much of a roof, and it hardly blocked any wind, but it was the best thing she could find. Air revenants stalked in the snowy plains below, keeping sentry over the expansive terrain. Most likely they wouldn't come after her so long as she minded her distance, but she was not about to get close enough to check. The elemental beings were relics of a time long past, yet still they jealously possessed these ancient lands. She would be considered nothing more than a trespasser if she were to make her presence known.

A shrill wind whistled passed the awning of her shallow cave, coaxing her to seek out the abandoned flint once again. She sighed heavily and resumed striking at the stubborn kindling. 'Where's a mage when I need one?'

As if on cue, sparks suddenly caught in the thin bits of wood and a tiny flame rose to waver before her eyes. She hurriedly shielded the weak fire and nurtured it until it burned brightly. The red glow washed over her face as she huddled closely to the warmth, holding her fingers up to it in gratitude.

As the twigs crackled pleasantly, Vephriel felt about in her pack for a rolled piece of paper. She withdrew the parchment carefully, laying it close to the fire so that she could see, but not so close that it would be in danger of burning. It was a hand-drawn map of the Storm Peaks that she had bartered off one of the goblins in K3.

Small red X's were scrawled in at a few various points, indicating purported sightings of the elusive beast. 'Skoll, they called him,' her mind supplied. Vephriel had disregarded most of them, having spoken to many folk in the cities and deducing fact from fiction. Still, out of the remaining locations she had gone with her instinct and chosen the vantage over the Snowdrift Plains. She tapped a finger to her lip absently. Something had drawn her to that particular point, and she was not one to ignore her hunter's intuition.

Feeling satisfied in her choice, the blood elf tucked the map away and settled in for a long vigil. She had an abundant supply of patience at her disposal, along with a fair share of stubbornness. Long, solitary watches meant nothing to her.

Time seemed to stand still in the unchanging plains below her. The eerie silence would have been oppressive to most, but Vephriel found it soothing. She gazed down placidly from her high perch, lost in thought. Loose snow was blown over the icy ground like smoke, sometimes sweeping down from the precipices above. She felt the crystalline touch of snowflakes as the wind sprinkled them against her cheeks.

Hours passed with no occurrence, the minutes bleeding together without form. Vephriel remained as vigilant as she had been at the start of her camping session, and she intended to go on as long as she was able to. Her limbs ached from sitting in the same position all night, but she ignored the discomfort.

A sharp booming sound startled her at one point, followed by a deep rumble that rolled out across the sky. She craned her neck out from the shelter and saw thick clouds gathering in the south. Flares of light blossomed within their bellies, accompanied by jagged streaks of lightning.

A storm was coming, and she suddenly knew that the time was close.

Her humble fire pit had long since wilted away to dry embers, yet she could no longer feel the cold. A thrum of excitement pulsed through her veins as she gathered her pack and stretched her tired muscles. The air seemed to buzz with a palpable sense of anticipation.

A layer of frozen snow hugged the short cliffs that she had to descend, and the rock was slippery beneath her boots. She moved carefully but swiftly, ensuring every step was solid. As she jumped down to the final ledge, she paused and thought better of landing directly on the ground. After the encounter with the Jormungar she was more cautious about the deceptively empty terrain before her.

The storm was moving quickly now, roiling clouds painting a chaotic roof over the area. Peals of thunder ricocheted off the high peaks and echoed out in dark voices. A flurry of snow came in its wake, obscuring her vision considerably. Vephriel stayed planted where she was, every instinct telling her to wait.

Then he appeared.

Skoll fanart by Akyo

Coalescing out of the snowy haze, Skoll bounded into existence mere feet before her. His brilliant blue fur seemed to glow from within, sparks of lightning crackling over his entire body. The enormous wolf growled low in his throat, the sound reverberating like thunder through the air.

She stared in awe at the beautiful, majestic creature that now stood in front of her. His eyes were like nothing she'd ever seen before. They burned with an otherworldly intensity, staring into the depths of her soul. The intelligence behind those luminous orbs left her breathless under their scrutiny.

The great beast began to prowl deliberately around the small figure before him, a blue aura emanating from his jaws. Vephriel inhaled slowly to calm her racing heart. She knelt down at his feet, head bowed in respect.

"My name is Vephriel. I'm sure you've felt my presence here already," she began, her voice strong and fearless. "I've been seeking you for a long time now, and I am truly humbled to encounter you in person."

He snarled loudly in response, though his posture was not aggressive. He seemed to be waiting for her to continue.

"You can probably sense my sincerity towards you. I mean you no harm." her expression softened then, her voice quieting. "When I first heard rumours about you, my heart ached at the thought of such a mighty being wandering eternally through these lonesome peaks. I do not know the reason for your solitary patrols, but I am here to offer you a different path...should you choose to take it."

"I am not asking to be your master, nor do I have any desire for your subjugation. I came to you in hopes of finding a comrade, a friend. I will offer my eternal devotion to you in return for this privilege."

She looked up to meet his eyes then. "Skoll, I would be honored to have you fight by my side."

The wolf regarded her silently for a moment, and that short breadth of time seemed to her an eternity. Finally he drew close, sitting before her proudly.

She approached him cautiously and extended a hand, silently asking for permission. To her surprise, Skoll pushed his head forwards into her palm, nuzzling gently. A small laugh escaped her lips as she embraced her new companion. She ran her fingers through his fur, feeling the electricity dance over her skin. There was no pain on its contact, only a pleasant static tickle that lightly touched upon her hands and arms.

A content rumble rolled out from his chest, and Vephriel could feel the vibration from it. She continued to caress him gently, reveling in the sense of peace that surrounded them.

She would never forget that night, nor all the ones yet to come.

... The End ...

Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

/applaud! =D

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I love how you write - descriptive without abusing your nearest thesaurus. <3 Can't wait to read more! Oh, and the addition of pictures is really neat!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Helio
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nessingwary (US)

Unread post by Helio »

*low whistle* Awesome! Put's my work to shame, lol
Much thanks to Saturo for the awesome signature.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I agree 100% with Edrawr, your use of words is fantastic! Also, wtb your graphics card. The crispness in the pictures is amazing! As is your eye for framing the pictures, as usual. :D Will the wait for part 2 be long? /pine

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

SHORT story? xD

WTB more, plz.
I'm out of gold, the only thing I can spare is my soul, kk? :(

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Dreadflower
Realm: Destromath

Unread post by Dreadflower »

Amazingggggggggg!! I wouldn't consider this too short of story.
Vephriel

I sincerely apologize about the wait everyone! I suffered some minor writer's block for a bit, but the final part has finally been completed. :D See the second post for updated 'chapter'. ^.^
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Eeehh!!

Teh awezomez. U haz them.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.