Game Skills in Real Life. Do you Leatherwork?

Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Game Skills in Real Life. Do you Leatherwork?

Unread post by Sochi »

Last year, I was bitten by the leather-work bug. I had it in my head to produce my own archery gear, like quivers and arm guards. I practice archery and love it. I thought it would be rather nifty to have a skill like leather-work to complement it. I began by making a simple square belt pouch for my husband and even simpler mug strap. I have a quiver almost done-it needs dying and sealing, as well as lacing. It looks darn good in my opinion though.

My husband and I are thinking of joining the S.C.A. which is the Society for Creative Anachronism. In a boiled down form, they are medieval enthusiasts. They had divided the world up into kingdoms and are world wide. My big goal with these folks is to join a local archery company. I could so make the Carolingia Company of Bowmen.

http://www.carolingia.net/site/index.ph ... &Itemid=17

Anyway, I have decided that this is my newest project here
http://www.horsebows.com/Images/FunStuff/Hunter.jpg

I'm at work making a template now. I'll eyeball the leather I have at home and buy the rest of the mat(erial)s soon. I think this will go very nicely with the horsebow I plan to purchase and make a bow-quiver for, like these guys are wearing here;
http://www.horsebows.com/funstuff.htm

So, I leather-craft and am looking to skill up. Do you Tailor (sew)? Maybe you're a Rockhound? What's your in game and out of game skill?
Saturo

Re: Game Skills in Real Life. Do you Leatherwork?

Unread post by Saturo »

I engineer in-game, and I can make basic circuits IRL.

And engineering is awesome. I ran out of ammo in the middle of a fight. Guess what. I made more ammo while fighting.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Congafury
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Congafury »

i'm a herbralist/alchemist.. oh well i think i'm capable of making a herbal tea and i can pick flowers too!!^_^

That's some real skill you have there, Sochi!
Don't panic!
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

My father did leatherworking. (And like you, also archery. And also ... lapidary-y? Lapidariness? Lapidariaciousness? ... Rocks. He did stuff with pretty rocks.)

He used to let me play with his extra leather. Somewhere around here I still have the set of tools he used to press shapes into the leather, which I inherited when he died. I got a lot further with the rocks -- I did my own tumbling and jewelry-making for a long time, although like everything else that fell away when I started working the 60-hour-a-week jobs that I am now recovering from.

Right now my out of game skills involve things which are not very hands-on: web site construction, PHP, databases ... and those are my hobbies! ;)
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

Lets see.I'v got...
tailoring/leather working :belt pouches,backpacks,clothing,armor kits
inscription/engineering :drawing and designing weird stuff (I WILL build that flying machine someday)
herbalism/mining :gardening (SPRING!) and finding stone to carve
alchemy :making paint,dyes,and paper clay mush
jewel crafting : metal and stone working

As well as cooking,fishing,and first aid of course.

Haven't found a trainer for black smithing or skinning yet.
Not real interested in throwing glitter on stuff so I haven't bothered with enchanting.

I like working with my hands and I prefer to make my own gear...
Tygamoon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Tygamoon »

Hehe well I've got a bit of everything ingame with crafting. In the real word my grandpa was into controlling the local population of coyotes, muskrats, beavers, martins and I'm guessing the odd stray and violent dog. Staying with him allowed me to pick up some skinning and hunting skills. He was also an avid rock hound and you can still find him roaming the hills in his early 90s. His fingers have lost their dexterity over the years but he was known to repair the jewelry the Native American ladies mailed up to him. Those slivers of turquoise are pretty but a huge pain to get into their settings! He probably still has loads of opal that he didnt sell off on his last visit to a show. Hes also self taught on arrowhead making :shock: I'm hoping to visit this summer and learning how to do it if hes up to that.