Poll: Taming pets

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

How do you explain taming something in RP?

My hunter always rescues baby animals and raises them
22%
My hunter uses some sort of pet-taming magic
8%
My hunter just tames them
10%
My hunter just sorta stubles upon them and they become her/his companion
30%
I don't RP really....
15%
IDK
2%
Other
13%

Total votes: 60

Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Poll: Taming pets

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Okay... so I was wondering...
1) if this is the right place to post this... :?:
2) how do you explain how your hunter tames things? Does he/she just adopt them when their young and raise them (if so... how do you explain your hunter taming a spider or devilsuar? :lol:)? Does he/she just sorta stumble upon an animal and it just sorta becomes his/her companion?

I want to see what answers you guys have, 'cuz I don't really know how to explain it myself, and I like doing stories about my hunters and various tames... :?:

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Re: Poll: Taming pets

Unread post by Dakonic »

I love how so many people answered but noone replyed. lol
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

:P Yeah lol

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I chose the three because they all apply.

I have got many young baby pet and raised them up.
There are some I swear it was magic that I got them.
And yes there were many I also completely stumbled up.
Each pet has their own story that's told. :D

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Dragon616
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight

Unread post by Dragon616 »

Well, is kinda hard to do when I can't remake my hunter yet, but Marrok's first pet found him, a Wolf, then later he'll probly find a young Kurken explaining the smaller size, and finally hes going to hunt for Skoll.

Let sleeping foxes lie...

And a huge Thank You to Ket Shi for the awesome Avatar and Siggy!

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

Dragon616 wrote:Well, is kinda hard to do when I can't remake my hunter yet, but Marrok's first pet found him, a Wolf, then later he'll probly find a young Kurken explaining the smaller size, and finally hes going to hunt for Skoll.
My Skoll's name is Marrok. :)
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
Kryte
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Kryte »

It depends on the hunter, and on the pet. I really can't narrow it down more than that. For example, I had a hunter whose wolf was just the family hunting hound that tagged along with her on her adventure.
Ayani
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Ayani »

I chose other. When my hunter tamed Shy-Rotam, it was saving a tiger that was over 4000 years old, so not a baby. =)

Another pet I had a lil rp thing going with was my wolf, who got bugged and could not retrieve from the stable, since I had seen Snarler many times in Feralas, never killing her, I simply asked her to join me and she agreed!

Amazingly enough, I think all my pets have some back story of some sort =)
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

My hunters don't really do "tame magic" or the baby saving or stuff like that. Usually, they set out for some famous variety of beast, and when they find them they make them their companions by way of befriending. Usually they bring a treat, too.
This was easier back when we had loyalty. I'd compare loyalty to the friendship-bond with my pets.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

"y helo thar mr poochy ^_^ wud u liek 2 gu & du stuf w/ me? y/n?"

"y!"

"lolk"

Rynoh has tamed RandomPet!

Helio
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nessingwary (US)

Unread post by Helio »

With Evaliir... His taming usually involves trapping and/or physically tackling the beast... ending in lots of cuts and bruises on both sides as the hunter proceeds to exchange beatings with a wild animal to a point where he forces the beast into submission.
Much thanks to Saturo for the awesome signature.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I didn't really see an option that fits Aoani, the only character I think of in an RP way... Aoani is very humble and shy, and she's totally overwhelmed and awed by the beauty and strength of beasts. When she tames a pet, in my mind she befriends them. She spends days letting them get familiar with her presence before even attempting direct contact, then starts to bring food and such - showing them that life can be easier with her. She talks and sings too. It's a slow process, but in the end the animal is familiar with her and has chosen to travel with her.

Edit: Saturo, I agree with you! I miss loyalty so much. Besides, it wasn't hard to have your pet stay loyal, I always have mine well fed. If I start seeing that yellow icon and don't have food, I make a beeline for the nearest vendor.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

I just started playing my hunter, and I don't play on an RP realm, but I do have backstories for her. Not really specifics on my pet tamings, but I'd imagine that it would be similiar to what Sarayana and Helio said. Either wrestle/fight (not to harm) the beast until it finally submits, or spends days and days trying to coax it into becoming your companion.

I think with my rare spawns that I actually camped I would have stories of them waiting, being patient, taking time to talk to the animal and getting it used to my presence. Whereas Nukk (my red raptor) I think the story would be similar to fighting, or maybe finding him and nursing him back to health.

There are all sorts of ways to explain how your hunter befriended their beast, just be creative.. but make sure it's believable. :)
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Most of the time my main, Nanyana, stumbles upon a beasts that gets her attention, be it a marking, or something about its personality. As a Beastmaster, she considers her pets more like friends rather than pets, and it shows in her way of taming (or rather befriending). The only time she uses traps is when she's trying to befriend something that would bite her head off in a heartbeat if she let it - freezing them gives her time to show them that she's in no way a threat and they can start getting to know each other.

Nanyana's taming progress also involves her taking off all her armor, as the weight would just make things harder if things went really wrong, and she believes that by showing that she trust the beast enough to not bring any equipment with her, the beast will also relax a lot sooner.
Kurapika
Realm: Norgannon

Unread post by Kurapika »

You know, I never thought too much about the tame itself. My hunter basically finds her pets when she hears them calling to her. It's not so much an audible cry as it is a strong feeling to head to a particular area. When she gets there she knows who it is that calls, and using the tame magic that all hunters learn she calls the beast to her side.

Kinda corny, I know. ^_^
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

When I RP how my hunter tamed a specific pet it is along the lines of a shamanistic vision quest for a totem animal much like the native americans do.
We don't die. We multiply.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I chose two: My hunter just sorta stubles upon them and they become her/his companion and Other. I use a combination of both. For Rhyela, she uses a "mind-link", or a telepathic communication with whichever beast she is wanting to tame. For some beasts, she has to convince them to join. Others she simply tells her story and they agree to travel with her for their own reasons. But in one way or another, the creatures come to see her as a friend, and of course Rhyela feels the same way about them.

Rhyela's first endeavors as a hunter brought her to The Barrens in Kalimdor. She was awed by the sheer size of the place, and how vastly different the landscape was in comparison to her home in Teldrassil. She immediately fell in love with the lions she saw, but there wasn't any particular one she felt an attraction to. But then, her huntress companion Verdantia told her of a mythical white lion by the name of Echeyakee who would only come to the calling of a special horn. She knew his location when she saw it - a large pile of bones with many lions in the vicinity. And so, Rhyela waited at that spot, waiting for the chance to meet this lion. Finally, a Forsaken arrived. Rhyela was very wary and ready to defend herself if he made any move against her, but he didn't. As she watched, the Forsaken retrieved a horn, and as it sounded through The Barrens, she was stricken with awe at the lion who approached - it was Echeyakee, without a doubt. The Forsaken nodded at Rhyela, and Rhyela took the opportunity to contact Echeyakee's mind to plead with him to join her. After hearing her story of how she was a fresh huntress just beginning her travels, and had been looking for a friend, he was moved to aid her and become the lifelong friend she sought. She thanked the Forsaken, and with her new friend Tetsusaiga at her side, they began a lifelong journey together.

For a creature like Apollyon (King Krush), who I envision as very confident and perhaps even arrogant, it was a very tough challenge. But finally, after struggling with his amazingly powerful mind and will, he realized her power and what she had to offer, and agreed to aid her. I want to make it clear that she didn't force him to go with her, but she had to prove to him that she was worthy in his eyes as a master, or better yet, friend. After all, he is the strongest beast in Sholazar, and only the strongest partner will do for him. :D After fighting alongside her in many battles, he can see that she fights with the ferocity of a devilsaur, and he holds the utmost respect for her.

Then, there's Sheldon. He's an easy-going, light-hearted turtle. All it took to win him over was some gentle pats on the head and some fishies. He's more like a loyal old dog than anything, and loves Rhyela to death. He's taking a break right now at Rhyela's request, but they agreed to meet again soon. Sheldon, loyal as he is, will be waiting for Rhyela when she comes back. She might have to bring a fish, though. ;)

Dante (Loque'nahak) was tolerant of Rhyela's presence when they first met. But he, like King Krush, was very powerful, and when she attempted to contact his consciousness with her mind, he was offended and tried to attack her. But, he was a bit wiser and less haughty than King Krush, so he perceived her good intentions and agreed to lend his power to her, and travel at her side.

With Shikon, she was a gentle soul wandering Zul'Drak without a purpose because of memory loss upon the death of her living body. When Rhyela found her one day, she could sense Rhyela's fondness for creatures, and was drawn to her. Rhyela didn't think twice about welcoming the gentle, ethereal tiger into her heart. Shikon hopes to one day remember what brought her to Zul'Drak, but in the meantime, she is just overjoyed that she doesn't have to be alone anymore.

Rainey had an adventurer's heart and was bored with Darkshore. When Rhyela showed up, it was a golden opportunity to finally go out and see the world. Rainey had felt obligated to remain in Darkshore due to her two young fledgelings, but Rhyela convinced her that they were old enough to fend for themselves, so Rainey joined. Rainey loves traveling with Rhyela because she gets to travel all over Azeroth. She's spunky and rambunctious, but loving and kind, almost like Rhyela herself but in a tallstrider body.

/cheese

:)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Whenever I'm writing about a tame, I like to think of it as a bond created out of mutual respect by both hunter and beast. This could be accomplished in a variety of ways, of course. I don't like to use the typical scenario of finding an injured animal in the forest and nursing it back to health sort of thing, rather I prefer just a natural means of getting to know one another even if it takes a long time. I'm not as partial to using a form of magic or spell simply because I have that old fashioned notion that a companion should be by its master's side because it wants to me and not due to an outside force. Hmm, not sure if I explained my thought process at all, sort of hard to describe. x)
Talonsan
Realm: Aegwynn (Alliance) Nesingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Talonsan »

For 3 of my pets, yes. For two of them no.

Andi was a cub wandering the ruins in northern Darkshore when he found her.
Talonsan found Betrayal while raiding a Blood Elf town in Eversong Forest and raised him. Unfortunately, he was stolen from him during his excursions in Outland. Just recently did he get word that he was in the Botanica. After a solo raid upon the place, the two are now happily reunited.
Fenris was just a pup when Talonsan discovered him. He has grown alot over the course of adventures.
Skoll and Nightshade both were tests of strengths. He knew if he was to gain the loyalty of these two, it was going to take patience and much skill.

Just my quick two cents :roll:
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Mostly, it's a baby animal. Timber was an exception (see fanfiction/therapy session).
Tir, (Ressan the Needler) for example, Grys found as a baby who had been rejected by his mother due to his albino coloration. She had to take him in, since he didn't, as an albino, have much of a chance in the wild.
Kyndri, who has transitioned from Ghostsaber to Loque'nahak, was a kitten. Now, I have not idea if this totally violates lore, but..my idea for her, and to explain Ghostsabers is that with Harkoa's drive to save her kittens, she has managed to move them far away from Zuldrak, to somewhere much safer. If you've done the Zuldrak Harkoa questline, you'll notice that the Redeemed Kittens of Harkoa are actually Ghostsabers. So, Teigan found one of Harkoa's redeemed kittens wandering the Ruins of Darkshore, mewling and looking for her mommy. So, naturally, Teigan took her in. Fast forward to the Basin. Kyndri the kitten has come into her own, carrying on the line of Harkoa and Loque'nahak's poor semi-disembodied kittens.
The rest of the pets have less developed story lines. These are the better ones.