A peculiar question!

For discussion of the upcoming 5.1 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

A peculiar question!

Unread post by Albain »

Has anyone on the PTR yet posted a query to Blizzard as to the 7-8 exotic rarespawns going in along with the 100+ other rares in 5.1? It seems to me to be a horrible and unpleasant tease to put these exotics into 'Vanilla' areas, when you can't hope to tame them til 69.

With exotic pets offering no real bonus that other classes can't already do by then, such as kings, moving exotic to a lower taming rung might be a fairly easy thing to do.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: A peculiar question!

Unread post by Kalliope »

Those exotic rares are no different than any other lowbie exotic pets. They've existed for years and never been tameable at their level.

In fact, some of the new exotics make it possible to tame MORE families at level 69 than before (looking at the shale spiders here in particular). So it's already a buff. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Re: the exotics, keep in mind...

Chimera is exotic, and 90% of them are below level 69.
Core Hound is exotic, and the only white one is level 10 or so.
Worm is exotic, and almost *all* of the non-Jormungar ones are below level 69.
Devilsaur is exotic, and most of them are level 55.
There is *no Silithid* above level 60.

We're already quite used to most of the exotics being below that level. :) As Kalli said, this gives us more options on taming them when we're only level 69. Heck, if the list is to be believed, there's still a rhino out there somewhere...
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kurasu wrote:Re: the exotics, keep in mind...

Chimera is exotic, and 90% of them are below level 69.
Core Hound is exotic, and the only white one is level 10 or so.
Worm is exotic, and almost *all* of the non-Jormungar ones are below level 69.
Devilsaur is exotic, and most of them are level 55.
There is *no Silithid* above level 60.

We're already quite used to most of the exotics being below that level. :) As Kalli said, this gives us more options on taming them when we're only level 69. Heck, if the list is to be believed, there's still a rhino out there somewhere...
Indeed. Only Devilsaur above 55 is the one in Netherstorm. He's level 70.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

I am perfectly aware of how many there already are, but deliberately adding more, especially the likes of shale spiders, who offer Kings (and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to offer that buff when everyone else can), might suggest intentions other than 'bwahahahaha suffer'.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Junrei wrote: Indeed. Only Devilsaur above 55 is the one in Netherstorm. He's level 70.
King Krush and King Dred. ;)
Kalliope

Kurasu wrote:
Junrei wrote: Indeed. Only Devilsaur above 55 is the one in Netherstorm. He's level 70.
King Krush and King Dred. ;)
And Tyrantus is actually level 71. xD
Albain wrote:I am perfectly aware of how many there already are, but deliberately adding more, especially the likes of shale spiders, who offer Kings (and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to offer that buff when everyone else can), might suggest intentions other than 'bwahahahaha suffer'.
Not really. Cats and spirit beasts no longer bring their buff (now mastery) until level 81, so this is a fair tradeoff in terms of how many buffs hunters will have access to at 69.

YouTube Edition

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Shale Spiders atm only appear in the mid 80's on live. Would you like to wait to mid 80's for one or get one as soon as you hit 69?

Thats pretty much what Blizz is doing for us. They're taking mobs that are far beyond lvl 69 that are exotic and giving us accessible ones, while also giving more experience and gear dropping rares for the lvlers out there who seek to hit certain lvl milestones faster. Also something to remember, not all the exotics fit in zones that well, are currently Northrend, Deadwind Pass, and late Outlands.

I've gone through the full list of non-pandarian tames and it appears to me the only exotics that are getting lvl downgrades are Shale Spiders. That's excellent news for people who want Shale Spiders before the mid-80's. Burning Crusade is not bundled with the original WoW so now people, who are trying the game out, and dont want to buy WotLK and Cataclysm just to get a Shale Spider will no longer need to. On that note, im frankly excited to see more high-lvl only exotics be found amongst the lower lvls. Shale Spiders arent rare to begin with anyways.

All their colors are common depending on if you have MoP or not (green is still rare if you dont have the expansion) so its not hurting anyone to do this. I cant grasp why theres complaints about this when it doesnt affect play style in any way, since they are throwing old colors into the lower zones opposed to ones we havent seen yet. If you dont want to tame them, then just kill them for exp and move on :3 They'll respawn in a few hours, as most if not nearly all 1-60 rarespawns do now and you'll be just that much closer to taming them.

Blizz isnt trying to tease us. They're just giving flavor to the zones, giving them more rares for people to gain exp off and giving people access to pets that are far too high for a lvl 69 to tame. Everyone else proves a strong point that most exotics have several, if not their entire family or most of their family, found in 1-60 zones. Which has been going on for many many years. Its never been a fuss before and lvling is easier then hell now if you have friends, or a high lvl char that can farm JP or Honor for heirlooms, mix of both of those for even faster JP/Honor farming and/or running your lowbies through dungeons..

Joining a lvl 25 guild either just for the perks or for the social environment, or both will help you lvl faster and give you access to the helm, cape, and legs if you can grind the gold for them which is actually really easy to do if you pick up gathering professions and use them as you are questing through the world (which also gives you exp, herbing and mining for extended periods of time can really move your exp bar quickly). Its also not a race. No ones forcing you to tame these creatures. That is your choice. And your choice to dictate how quickly you want to lvl.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

Xakaal wrote:Shale Spiders atm only appear in the mid 80's on live. Would you like to wait to mid 80's for one or get one as soon as you hit 69?
I have. On multiple hunter alts. I've got six. Likewise waited for devilsaurs, and spirit beasts; waiting until they're at level to get them, over and over and over. As the point of my original query has been lost, it seems I'll do it myself.
Kalliope

It seems as though those responding are of the mind that waiting until 69 is okay, especially since TBC is included with basic WoW now.

YouTube Edition

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Albain »

And I'm of the mind that it really doesn't hurt to ask. Which I've done, and if/when I get a response, will pass it along.
Kirsten
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Kirsten »

Junrei wrote: Only Devilsaur above 55 is the one in Netherstorm. He's level 70.
King Krush is 80, I think.
Kalliope

Kirsten wrote:
Junrei wrote: Only Devilsaur above 55 is the one in Netherstorm. He's level 70.
King Krush is 80, I think.
75. :D

YouTube Edition

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Xakaal wrote: I've gone through the full list of non-pandarian tames and it appears to me the only exotics that are getting lvl downgrades are Shale Spiders.
Just a correction here: on the list, there are three rhinos. And IIRC, the lowest level rhino is level 70. So there's a possibility still!
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Kurasu wrote:
Xakaal wrote: I've gone through the full list of non-pandarian tames and it appears to me the only exotics that are getting lvl downgrades are Shale Spiders.
Just a correction here: on the list, there are three rhinos. And IIRC, the lowest level rhino is level 70. So there's a possibility still!
Awesome :3 i was only going by what has been found right now ^^ I dont have the PTR so i havent bothered with the big lists of datamined names ^^;; I guess i shoulda kinda specified which list i was going off of xD

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I think this is just a away to make more skins accessible and making more beasts to be available at lower level zone, thus the buff as well, esp if the beast is non exotic.
evil950510
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by evil950510 »

I think also whatever one else is missing is that rares are not only there for taming, If your a non hunter then most people see them as an exp boost or better loot. I know it is a shock to say this on Petopia, but these rares are here for everyone not just hunters and I think this is what Blizzard had in mind when they placed these exotic low level rares.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

evil950510 wrote:I think also whatever one else is missing is that rares are not only there for taming, If your a non hunter then most people see them as an exp boost or better loot. I know it is a shock to say this on Petopia, but these rares are here for everyone not just hunters and I think this is what Blizzard had in mind when they placed these exotic low level rares.
Of course. I've personally always loved the xp boon that rares present to leveling alts. Unless I'm really, really attached to a particular rare, I won't feel remorseful or guilty for killing them while I quest on other characters. The experience and loot is honestly worth it, and it's a big reason behind them being there. A lot of these new rares are wonderful for hunters though as a lower level alternative for some skins we previously couldn't tame until higher. I also love the individual personalities rares develop by gaining a name, special location, or behavior.

I think we can easily appreciate all the benefits rares have to offer, it doesn't have to be one side or the other. :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Vephriel wrote:
evil950510 wrote:I think also whatever one else is missing is that rares are not only there for taming, If your a non hunter then most people see them as an exp boost or better loot. I know it is a shock to say this on Petopia, but these rares are here for everyone not just hunters and I think this is what Blizzard had in mind when they placed these exotic low level rares.
Of course. I've personally always loved the xp boon that rares present to leveling alts. Unless I'm really, really attached to a particular rare, I won't feel remorseful or guilty for killing them while I quest on other characters. The experience and loot is honestly worth it, and it's a big reason behind them being there. A lot of these new rares are wonderful for hunters though as a lower level alternative for some skins we previously couldn't tame until higher. I also love the individual personalities rares develop by gaining a name, special location, or behavior.

I think we can easily appreciate all the benefits rares have to offer, it doesn't have to be one side or the other. :)
I honestly think this is part of the reason they are doing this. Levelling will be that much quicker now.
Kalliope

Vephriel wrote:

Absolutely!

I also think it's a method of balancing the population of lowbie zones, since the ones with more rares are likely getting more visitors than those without.

YouTube Edition