Color Changing MINIPets Return

For discussion of the upcoming 5.2 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Color Changing MINIPets Return

Unread post by Kalliope »

Pets whose color schemes change each time they are summoned have returned. Older pets with this behavior now have it back, as well as some newcomers.
(Source)

That's minipets! Neat. :D

EDIT: More details from WarcraftPets:
Existing non-wild pets that changed colors each time they're summoned will be able to swap colors again. There will be a few new color-changers too.
Last edited by Kalliope on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Color Changing MINIPets Return

Unread post by Wain »

Only secondaries did that before, so I wonder if that means every pet ever captured as a secondary may start doing it (if multiple colours are available). I've painstakingly captured many secondaries as specific colours since 5.1. If so that's a horrific number of pet battle hours down the drain. I really hope that's not how they're doing it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope

Oh no, that would be awful. D:

YouTube Edition

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

On second thoughts, maybe they just mean the very few that were always colour changers, like that worg pup from Blackrock, and, of course, the dragon kite!
Kalliope

That's a much happier idea! Clinging to that hope! :lol: I was very sad to see my worg turn black-only; it's why I wanted that dark brown skin for Hector before it was ever in game. <3

YouTube Edition

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I'm not at all happy about the implications of this... horrified actually, and for the same reason Wain mentioned. I've really gone out of my way to tame specific skins for each pet and quite a lot of them have been as secondaries. To have the hours of effort thrown away really feels like a slap to the face for those who care about it. And I know it seems like a minor thing, but I think a forum of hunters that obssess over the perfect pet skin would probably understand more than the average player.

I'm trying to tell myself to wait and see. The statement is still vague enough that I can hope that some of my pets will escape unscathed. On Warcraftpets they implied that it would only affect non-wild pets, though I did not see anything in the blue posts myself specifying that.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I agree with Wain and peanutbuttercup -- I've collected all sorts of specific colors. Some, I've been saving to use a Battle Stone on, just because they're so dang rare - like the "magma" style Stripe-Tail Scorpid.

I don't want that work to disappear!

Or the Tundra Penguin, which has two different models... one a "macaroni" penguin, the other a more traditional one... I don't want my pet to polymorph each time I summon it! Let me choose one!
Kalliope

Good news, everyone!

According to WarcraftPets (and by extension, the official patch notes, which were updated):
Existing non-wild pets that changed colors each time they're summoned will be able to swap colors again. There will be a few new color-changers too.

YouTube Edition

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Kalliope, that was the post I saw last night as well, which was why I said the original patch note was vague. I really would like to see it officially spelled out in a blue forum post at some point (I don't check battlenet so if that has happened there, then I haven't seen it). And if that is the case, then I don't think it's a bad thing. While I wouldn't mind the option of a color stable Worg Pup, for example, it was a color changer for so long, I'd probably just leave it that way too.

I wouldn't even mind some color changers in the wild as long as was specific feature of that pet. Like if they had a "rainbow moth" or a "chameleon lizard," something like that, where the implication is that it will always change colors.

I think those of us who like collecting pet skins get a little panicky because we do things like spend 8 hours trying to get things like a rare gold-colored Gold Beetle, and our nerves are frazzled. :) But now that I think about it, it would make sense that this shouldn't affect wild caught pets because they'd JUST made them stable (mostly) in the last patch, so it would make no sense to suddenly reverse that.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

As a side note...

The other changes that they've hinted at in tweets and such (lesser coins from matches, etc), plus the other changes in the patch notes, would seem to make it now worthwhile even for the non-collectors to go ahead and get at least one team of pets to level 25.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Kalliope

peanutbuttercup wrote:Kalliope, that was the post I saw last night as well, which was why I said the original patch note was vague. I really would like to see it officially spelled out in a blue forum post at some point (I don't check battlenet so if that has happened there, then I haven't seen it). And if that is the case, then I don't think it's a bad thing. While I wouldn't mind the option of a color stable Worg Pup, for example, it was a color changer for so long, I'd probably just leave it that way too.
Ah yes, I totally agree with you there - it was definitely vague. And I just double checked the official patch notes; the update was NOT made there. WarcraftPets could have the inside scoop, but they could also be speculating. Time will tell!

YouTube Edition

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Ughhhh why can't they just leave this stuff alone! -_-
ImageImage
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I wonder if WCP has more info than those patch notes then, or if they're interpreting them that way. Hmmm.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Equeon wrote:Or the Tundra Penguin, which has two different models... one a "macaroni" penguin, the other a more traditional one... I don't want my pet to polymorph each time I summon it! Let me choose one!
It comes in both models? I thought it just had two colours of the one model! I swear I've only seen one model.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Wain wrote:
Equeon wrote:Or the Tundra Penguin, which has two different models... one a "macaroni" penguin, the other a more traditional one... I don't want my pet to polymorph each time I summon it! Let me choose one!
It comes in both models? I thought it just had two colours of the one model! I swear I've only seen one model.
I can confirm. The macaroni penguin is basically the same model as the regular, but it's shorter and I think squatter.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

*Eye twitch* ... But... but... I spent HOURS hunting for a rare warp stalker mini pet in purple! HOURS. D:

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Snowy wrote:*Eye twitch* ... But... but... I spent HOURS hunting for a rare warp stalker mini pet in purple! HOURS. D:

Pretty much my problem right there.
ImageImage
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Great.....so, all the time I spent hunting rares of each color, with good stats were WASTED??!!!?? Thanks, Blizz. That's freaking great. This is not fair.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Teigan wrote:Great.....so, all the time I spent hunting rares of each color, with good stats were WASTED??!!!?? Thanks, Blizz. That's freaking great. This is not fair.
Woah, chill guys! We don't know this. In fact WCP said it was only old, non-wild pets. We don't know if they have more info than we do or if they just assumed that was the case. But I think it may well be likely that they only mean OLD pets that changed colours, like the dragon kite and the BRS worg pup.

But there's always the chance they mean all the pets that changed colours in 5.1 Let's just hope not and wait till we have more info.
Kalliope

Wain wrote:
Teigan wrote:Great.....so, all the time I spent hunting rares of each color, with good stats were WASTED??!!!?? Thanks, Blizz. That's freaking great. This is not fair.
Woah, chill guys! We don't know this. In fact WCP said it was only old, non-wild pets. We don't know if they have more info than we do or if they just assumed that was the case. But I think it may well be likely that they only mean OLD pets that changed colours, like the dragon kite and the BRS worg pup.

But there's always the chance they mean all the pets that changed colours in 5.1 Let's just hope not and wait till we have more info.
Yup, what Wain said! We don't know anything for sure yet, so don't panic!

YouTube Edition