Rare Pets: Your Thoughts

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
aed71689

Rare Pets: Your Thoughts

Unread post by aed71689 »

DISCLAIMER (or whatever you want to call it): Before I begin, I want to let y'all know that I was going to post this on Wowhead's Hunter Forum board, but since this is a pet-specific forum board, I posted here.

I enjoy taming rare beasts; I really don't know why, it's just something that I enjoy. Anyway, I've recently came across someone, in-game, that told me that I didn't really tame Sarkoth (a scorpion from Valley of Trials), that I actually tamed a ordinary scorpion, and just used it's name. Well, I really did tame Sarkoth, but for some reason, his words got to me, so I abandoned him.

Anyway, this brings me to my point: do you think it matters what other players think? Do you think I should re-tame Sarkoth, and continue taming rare beasts?

NOTE: So far, I have Timber and Snort, the Heckler.
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Re: Rare Pets: Your Thoughts

Unread post by Rarako »

It was so much nicer back when rares had an elite tag, IMO. Tame what you like, if someone want's to be a jerk there's not much you can do about it. I love the thrill of taming a rare or hard to get beast (just check my stable if you have any doubts XD ). If I can get a skin easily or go after a more complicated mob, I like to go about it the hard way I feel like I've accomplished something. People tame what they want to because they want to, don't ever let someone belittle how you like to play. If they feel the need to criticize then tell them that they can pay your subscription fee, until they do you'll play and tame whatever you like.
I say if you liked it, go back and get your Sarkoth, or try something new if you like like Bjarn or the Strider Clutchmother. What ever you do, do it because you want to. :)

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!

aed71689

You're right, I shouldn' have worried about it.

Anyway, I'm thinking about taming a regular beast, like a cat. Which skin should I go for, though?

NOTE: the first topic is still open for discussion, as well as my new question. So feel free to express yourself!
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Rarako »

What skins do you like, or do you want a a pet that's a bit of a challenge? :twisted:

aed71689

Well, how about this: which skin(s) do you like?

You see, I'm not really sure which skin I want, to be honest. Maybe if my fellow hunters tell me which cat skin(s) they like, I can choose which cat to tame.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

aed71689 wrote:Well, how about this: which skin(s) do you like?

You see, I'm not really sure which skin I want, to be honest. Maybe if my fellow hunters tell me which cat skin(s) they like, I can choose which cat to tame.
Well you'll probably end up having every single cat skin listed here, as everyone prefers different skins. XD I for one simply adore the Ghost Sabers. ^^
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Well, there are plenty you can get that everyone will know are true rare spawns, from the spirit beasts to Krush to Aotona and Old Cliff Jumper and more.. that's probably one of the reasons I try to collect unique skin rare-spawns...
Account has been closed at user's request.
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Rarako »

I personally love to go for skins that are hard for my characters to get, like ones that are found in the opposite faction's areas. Like if you're and Alli try for a lynx in the Blood Elf area, a lion, or a tiger. If you're a Hordie go for something like the Ghost Saber, Nightsaber, or Moonstaker. Gives you a bit of a challenge. Personally I love the white on black tiger skin Darkshore and you don't tend to see it to often, same with any of the lions.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

You can prove him wrong, you know!

If you check your WoW Armory page, then go to your Talents and Glyphs page, you can right-click and View Source/View Page Source (depending on browser).

You can then look at the source code on the page, which clearly states which NPC each of your pets are.

As a snippet, here's the source from my chimaera, in case anyone ever claims mine isn't a raid mob:
family="Chimaera" familyId="38" icon="ability_hunter_pet_chimera" lvl="80" name="Talisman" npcId="12803" npcName="Lord Lakmaeran"
So you can tell him to do this if he doesn't believe you! Regardless, I've never seen anyone with Sarkoth. I love the skin, personally. And just because a mob is rare in the wild doesn't mean it's a rare pet; in fact, I think some of the rarest pets are the most common skins. You rarely see anyone running around with a standard vulture, lioness or gray wolf; everyone has a Humar or a Bangalash. "Special" isn't special, because we all try to define our uniqueness with the same pets! :lol:

So really, just tame what you like!! Some people like the challenge of a rare or elite tame, others just click with a certain skin. Don't let people get to you!
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Acherontia wrote:You can prove him wrong, you know!
Yeah, knew there was a way to actually see this. The pets keep their wild coding so you can go back and see, hence why _NPCScan goes off for hunter pets.

Person was just a griefer, imo.

aed71689

I didn't think I'd get many people to post, but I appreciate all of your opinions!

Oh, and I have another question: how would you know the gender of your pet? Do beasts in this game have a gender (with the exceptions that I've seen)? For example, the skin that Rarako linked looks nice, but how would I know which gender it is? I mean, I don't want to give a male cat a female name. :P
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

aed71689 wrote:I didn't think I'd get many people to post, but I appreciate all of your opinions!

Oh, and I have another question: how would you know the gender of your pet? Do beasts in this game have a gender (with the exceptions that I've seen)? For example, the skin that Rarako linked looks nice, but how would I know which gender it is? I mean, I don't want to give a male cat a female name. :P
The gender of your pets is completely up to you. :D I've always thought of Gondria as a male (though it's a female name) and Loque'nahak a female. Most of the time I don't decide my pets' genders until I know more about their "personality".

There ARE some tameable beasts that have a given gender even after taming (one of my Petopian hunter's pets has a gender, can't remember which one). However, you'll never even see the beast's gender unless you mess around with some addons. Shadowed Unit Frames has an option to display an unit's gender, don't know about any other addons. So I wouldn't stress about it, as in the end it doesn't matter at all - hell, you can decide that your pet doesn't have a gender at all if you want! :D
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Well I'll be...

I downloaded it and roamed through the options and found the Sex bit for pets.

King Krush, Lord Lakmaeran, Diseased Black Bear and Shattered Hand Warhound don't, tamed anyway, have a gender.

Skoll, however, shows as male.

Go figure O.o
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

You can also try getting a transformation spell on your pet. For example, there's some ghosts in Wetlands that will transform you and your pet to undead sailors. A genderless pet shows up as female, and a male one will become a male player.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

A genderless pet shows up as female, and a male one will become a male player.
I did this for ALL my pets, and was shocked to find that Loque'nahak, Mate of Harkoa (who is female) was female too. 0.0 I did not know female meant genderless, so thanks for that. xD

Skoll came up as male for me. :3

I personally love the Panthers of STV (I went to Jaguaro Island to tame one of the hardcore stealthy ones, no different to the normal ones, just that they have their own island, which I think is pretty nifty <3). Once my Swift Zulian Tiger drops in ZG for both my boyfriend and I, I want a Tiger Huntress to celebrate. =D

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yeah, that's the way the game was coded. 0=genderless/female, 1=male. It's an odd way to code it, but it works, I s'pose...

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

The quest in the Wetlands does not apply an accurate gender effect to a hunter's pet. I know this for a fact because when I was leveling Tahlian up as a night elf way back in the day, I had Humar the Pridelord when I did that quest, who is, very obviously, a male lion. The spell in that quest turned his model to a female undead. So unless Blizzard is confused on which gender of lion has a mane...the spell, I think, uses the female undead model for something like 90% of the pets out there.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Well for your first question, I'm sorry to say that you just encountered a Class A WoW Asshole. I don't know why this guy would doubt you, why it would matter to him, or why he'd feel the need to rain on your parade, but there you have it. CAWAs just can't help themselves.

I agree with the others, get the pet you like. Browse this list if it's a cat you want, or these ones if you want one with a unique skin. I'll add my own little story though: I have the Strider Clutchmother, the Ghost Saber, the Spirit of Atha, and Skoll. Yet the pet I can't let go no matter what, because I'm so attached to him, is a regular grey raptor. Who cares that he isn't "special" or "unique"? He is to me.

As for gender... I dunno, it comes to me fairly quickly when I start thinking of a name. There are some patterns - my raptors have always been male and my tallstriders tend to be female. Beyond that, it's on an individual basis. I go with what feels right or what the pet was pre-tame (Loque, for example, is male pre-tame. Not all pets are defined, though).

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

Yeah never care what anyone says about your pets :) they are rare to you and people who have more then one braincell
the thrill of the hunt is the best thing about your pets and if your a RPer it helps your story more
I will never ditch a pet just cas some idiot doesnt know much about the game they are my pets it has nothing to do with anyone else ideas
and for teh cat issue now this list might be long but these are the cats i love due to skin
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... black.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... ngold.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... white.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... ender.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... riped.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... ndark.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... white.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... ghost.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... ellow.html

like i said long list :p but they are just my personal favs each to their own ya know :)

and as for gender meh up to you really isnt it depends on the name
like my skoll is a girl even though everyone says the she is a male :)

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

I understand exactly where you're coming from. That's why I only tame unique skinned pets... the spirit beasts, Aotona, The Kurken, the albino Dino. I don't really care if it's rare or exotic, just unique. I would LOVE if Blizz let rares and elites have some distinguishing mark about them. Whether it be something as simple as a silver frame around their portrait, or an extra attack. I think with all the headaches we go through finding and taming those beasts, there should be a way of letting everyone know we tamed Takk instead of a regular raptor.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us