Guide to determining genders (The not-so-obvious way)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Saturo

Guide to determining genders (The not-so-obvious way)

Unread post by Saturo »

So, you want to know what gender your pet is? Well, be happy, because this gnome is gonna' tell you what to do!

First, you will need to go to Wetlands. As we all know, that's Alliance territory, so Horde players will need to fly to Arathi Highlands, and then run, ride or fly down to Wetlands. Alliance players have it much easier, since they can just take a flight from, say, Ironforge to Menethil Harbour.
Once you are there, you will need to locate "The Lost Fleet". This is north of Menethil Harbour, along the coast. It is easily recognizeable, as there are two wrecked ships there.

You will then need to find the correct NPCs. The NPCs you're looking for are Cursed Sailor. These are ghostly Forsaken that roam the ships and their immediate vicinity.

Now comes the painful bit. You will need to let him punch your pet for a while. Curse of The Eye (The debuff you want) seems to have a 30second cooldown, so you might need to wait a bit. After a while, you will get lucky, and your pet will be transformed. If it's new model is female, your pet is either genderless or female (They count separately, tough). Male pets will turn into male undead.

Funny trivia; Low level pets will scale down when transformed, so a level 20 or so pet will be a dwarf-sized Forsaken, and a level 80 pet will be more like a Night Elf in length. Demonstrating the effect below is Stereoptic and Gondria, both at level 80. Stereo is the normal size of a forsaken.
Attachments
wetlandsmap.png
wetlandsmap.png (711.45 KiB) Viewed 334 times
sailor.png
sailor.png (149.37 KiB) Viewed 334 times
theresult.png
theresult.png (213.75 KiB) Viewed 334 times

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Re: Guide to determining genders (The not-so-obvious way)

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I remember fighting these guys waaaay back the day. I guess that means my original hyena was female, because it turned into a pint-sized female Forsaken, which was just...silly. XD

Part of me is a bit afraid to try it out though. I'm curious, but I'd hate to go and discover that Jiaphyon, the hyena I have been treating as a male since level 34, is in fact female. >>;

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Lol, cool way to figure it out. I hope I haven't mis-named any of my pets. :o
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

bah who cares what blizz says my pet gender is they are my pets i named em! and i loves em
though i am tempted to do this when installing is finished

*thumbs up*

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I'm with Kairii here. It's a fun gimmick and shows you how your pet is coded, but ultimately, once they're tamed, they're yours to decide for within the story of your characters. My opinion, obv., which I wouldn't force on anyone. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Hehe, I agree as well, my pets are whatever gender I decide, however, the game will have determined genders for them too, and this is a way to find out.
(Any transform effect that obeys gender can be used in the same way, this is just the easier one.)

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Saturo wrote:Hehe, I agree as well, my pets are whatever gender I decide, however, the game will have determined genders for them too, and this is a way to find out.
(Any transform effect that obeys gender can be used in the same way, this is just the easier one.)
I know I know, I just never saw the point of having the game dictate it. *shrug* But to each their own. I know it can be hard to decide/figure out sometimes.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3