Hunter QoL Suggestion WoW Forum Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kaydia
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Hunter QoL Suggestion WoW Forum Thread

Unread post by Kaydia »

Hey, everyone!

I posted a thread about a couple of quality of life improvements for Hunters on the U.S. WoW forums. I chatted with Wain about them a few days ago, and he asked that I put the link here when I posted. Feel free to add to the thread. The more feedback for the devs, the better!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... ons/601341
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Hunter QoL Suggestion WoW Forum Thread

Unread post by Wain »

Great post, thank you ! :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Goblinoid

Unread post by Goblinoid »

Been a lurker for a while. I'd love to post my suggestions but it won't even let me reply to the post. So I'll go ahead and throw them here:

Giving back pet specialization choices would really add diversity as to what pets people will use. Right now I mostly see ferocity or spirit beasts in any sort of raids or dungeons. It wouldn't really hurt since all family skills were normalized.

Getting rid of Hunters Mark would create less bloat for hunters. Putting another % bonus damage ability on the GCD really feels bad when you're grabbing small mobs.

Mayyybe make the Animal Companion talent baseline for BM hunters? It keeps their flavor and helps diversify a talent branch.

Stable slot filters. Name searching. Type sorting. Stuff to help reduce stable clutter would be really nice.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Agreed on pet specialization. Seriously, nobody wanted forced specializations. Muffinus went on his Twitter account and brought it up, and the response was almost one-sided; people want to CHOOSE, not be FORCED. Being forced into using the only two acceptable specializations meant that a huge chunk of possible pets were essentially worthless to have out at any time aside from sitting in trade chat. In raids, as you've pointed out, people either use a Spirit Beast (the only tenacity pet worth using anymore), or a feral pet purely for the Primal Rage ability. One guy on Twitter made a good point about why having selectable pet specializations back was that you can train a dog to do either role in real life. Something about how it can protect its master, be vicious towards intruders, and be helpful to others. Yet, in WoW, they can only be the latter as Dogs are sadly Cunning specialization only. Not all dogs are exactly the most helpful or protective (see Chihuahuas), and some fill multiple or all roles (seeing eye dogs), but one thing is objectively true; not all dogs are exactly the same. They aren't only Cunning in real life, so why should they be in WoW?

Let's also not forget that almost any animal in real life can be all three specs; crocodiles are tenacious, ferocious, AND cunning beasts (evolution agrees, don't bother them about it), cats are fierce and protective of their own property, and are quite clever when they're not lazy little turds sleeping for 70 hours a day, and bears are durable, smart, AND terrifyingly fierce when enraged. You can make this argument towards almost any living creature, and most likely for most extinct ones before the Cambrian explosion. Hell, even chickens can be ferocious, tenacious, and cunning; how else would they slash the farmer's ankles, protect their chicks from weak predators, and learn how to escape their coop at night when it's locked? Pets of all kinds in real life can literally fill all three niches.

As for baseline Animal Companion, I agree under the assumption it works like MM's Lone Wolf; it can be activated by choice for those who want a second pet, but can also be disregarded by those who only want one. Like, keep the first stable slot empty if you want a single pet, or put a pet in that slot to split the damage between two pets. No significant DPS differences either. I personally love the double pet aspect, so I'll always have two so long as they don't remove it.

Finally, for Hunter's Mark, I think it's fine. You won't really need it on smaller mobs unless they're priority burn targets. We do need a shorter GCD though. since EVERYTHING aside from Bestial Wrath is on the GCD.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Kaydia
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Kaydia »

Goblinoid wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:26 pm
Getting rid of Hunters Mark would create less bloat for hunters. Putting another % bonus damage ability on the GCD really feels bad when you're grabbing small mobs.
One of the macros I made in Vanilla was:

/cast Hunter's Mark
/PetAttack

Even though we haven't had Hunter's Mark for a while, I still open up combat with the macro so my pets can start beating on things while I get into a better spot where I'm less likely to aggro things. It's super handy. (I kept forgetting to change the macro and take the /cast out.)