Question about pets with mortal wounds

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
ibrere

Question about pets with mortal wounds

Unread post by ibrere »

I have been wondering about this for a while and searched everywhere for any place this has been questioned about as well, but I decided, in the end, to ask here.

What is the deal with devilsaurs having their mortal wounds ability "Monstrous Bite" on an 8-second cooldown instead of a 6-second one like all the other pets with a mortal wounds ability? Even though mortal wounds last for 10 seconds, would it be for better or worse that the ability has a cooldown of 8 seconds? Just find it so strange why only devilsaurs would have their cooldown longer.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Question about pets with mortal wounds

Unread post by Vesania »

Before Blizzard unified all pet abilities, Devilsaurs were the only family with mortal wounds. Monstrous Bite was never changed since 5.0.4, back in Pandaria, while any other ability with mortal wounds was added in 8.0.1, back in Battle for Azeroth. I think they never unified their CD with other families.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Vesania wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm Before Blizzard unified all pet abilities, Devilsaurs were the only family with mortal wounds. Monstrous Bite was never changed since 5.0.4, back in Pandaria, while any other ability with mortal wounds was added in 8.0.1, back in Battle for Azeroth. I think they never unified their CD with other families.
Actually, carrion birds had mortal wounds too back then, they used to be the one of the only pets that learned their ability before 20
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

worgpower wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:42 am
Vesania wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm Before Blizzard unified all pet abilities, Devilsaurs were the only family with mortal wounds. Monstrous Bite was never changed since 5.0.4, back in Pandaria, while any other ability with mortal wounds was added in 8.0.1, back in Battle for Azeroth. I think they never unified their CD with other families.
Actually, carrion birds had mortal wounds too back then, they used to be the one of the only pets that learned their ability before 20
Pandaria started to remove and unify pet abilities, so I don't consider anything after Cataclysm in such regards. Even if you want to consider that, Monstrous Bite wasn't charged since 5.0.4, back in Pandaria.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Vesania wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:09 pm
Pandaria started to remove and unify pet abilities, so I don't consider anything after Cataclysm in such regards. Even if you want to consider that, Monstrous Bite wasn't charged since 5.0.4, back in Pandaria.
Pandaria was the introduction of some buff and utility and removal of damage abilities while some pets still had some. All of that was removed in Wod which introduced raid buffs, then 90% was removed in legion, then BFA changed everything, but carrion bird kept their ability for that long
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

worgpower wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:36 pm
Vesania wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:09 pm
Pandaria was the introduction of some buff and utility and removal of damage abilities while some pets still had some. All of that was removed in Wod which introduced raid buffs, then 90% was removed in legion, then BFA changed everything, but carrion bird kept their ability for that long
Wrong, very wrong; carrion birds had Demoralizing Screech which was changed into Bloody Screech only during WoD. Demoralizing Screech was an ability that reduced enemy damage around them, initially melee attack power and then physical damage from Cataclysm rework, which was changed into Bloody Screech, an ability that applies mortal wounds, only in 6.0.2.
ibrere

Unread post by ibrere »

Ah, I see. But when it comes to the other thing: Does having the 6-second cooldown instead of a 8-second one benefit the pet or not? Because on the one hand, it could be quicker to apply mortal wounds to a new target, but on the other, I am also wondering if having the ability be used more frequently possibly have the pet get slightly fewer auto attacks in?

Although this would be a very small effect, I am still pretty curious about it.
Last edited by ibrere on Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

ibrere wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:51 pm Ah, I see. But when it comes to the other thing: Does having the 8-second cooldown instead of a 10-second one benefit the pet or not? Because on the one hand, it could be quicker to apply mortal wounds to a new target, but on the other, I am also wondering if having the ability be used more frequently possibly have the pet get slightly fewer auto attacks in?

Although this would be a very small effect, I am still pretty curious about it.
It's a disadvantage, especially in PvP, since you reapply the debuff much slower and auto attacks aren't as good compared to it.