10.2: Bugs and Suggestions

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

10.2: Bugs and Suggestions

Unread post by Wain »

UPDATED 20Oct 2023

Taming bugs
  • For the thornbeast taming quest: turning in a bear heart awards the wrong Thornspeaker Ritual Knife, so we can't create and tame a thornbear. - Last checked 04 Oct.

Could retain NPC name after taming
For a full list of suggested pets that should retain their names (including from older content), see this page.
Miscellaneous updates
  • The hunter Dire Beast ability, when used in the Emerald Dream, summons Vanilla-era models, which (given the differences in artwork age!) look a bit jarring. Traditionally, this ability was given some beast appearances that match the zone or continent, but that hasn't happened in Dragonflight (same issue in other DF zones).

Wrongly Classified?

Suggest to make tameable
NPCs with unused or unique looks: Other NPCS:

Noteable missing appearances
Almost every new look from this patch is available somewhere (other than an unmanageable number of owl combination looks, of course)! 💙
Just mentioning some unused magma creature looks from 10.1, since their models are also used in the Dream, and some skunks and flame cats that may not be intended to be tameable.

Two looks for the new faerie dragon model that don't seem to be available on tameable creatures (or at all, in the case of the blue one with purple feet).
Two unused shalewing looks from 10.1. There are magma shalewings in the Dream that could maybe use these looks: Molten Leadspike (rare) and Dreadfire Sporebat. There's also the blue magma shalewing, which isn't currently tameable but does exist on Karokta.
The green and purple magma cobra looks are still unavailable, and there are tameable magma cobras in the Dream. But these are unusual colours are may not be so easy to fit in.
Maybe there's a reason that flame cats aren't tameable.
Any skunk other than green. The four colours listed here exist on potentially tameable NPCs. The white and blue-black don't seem to be used.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 10.2: Bugs and Suggestions

Unread post by Wain »

Look suggestions for existing Dream NPCs

- The Sawscale Viper in the Dream would look good with these looks, since they both look like shadowflame cobras! Essentially, these use the blue skin, with a red glow over the body, and either blue or red glow for the sparks/flames.

- The Scavenging Pincher hermit crabs in the Dream use the exact same set of looks as a bunch of different hermit crabs around the Dragon Isles. I presume they were all just cloned and kept the same details. There are a vast number of unused hermit crab look combos, so could the ones in the dream perhaps receive some novel combos? Especially ones that look a bit more mystical? Here are some that might fit well in the Dream (click on the image to view the details):

Suggestions for additional creatures for the Emerald Dream
These are just my thoughts on things that would fit well in the Dream, with an emphasis on looks that aren't currently available or tameable.

An emerald scorpion, same skin as the new scorpid mount. The skin is already available for the wild model too.A rare magma hydra would be a perfect fit for the fire druid areas.
A dark red vulpin was never used in Ardenweald but would look just as good in the Dream. The less mystical red vulpin was also never used in Ardenweald.
This arcane wyrm is a very old model now, but it's an ethereal model that would still probably look good. The yellow and green looks were never used, but look perfect for the Dream.Yellow arcane wyrm variant.
This emerald hippogryph is the only unused gryphon colour from this model and looks like it would fit in the Dream. But currently its skin is only available on the Emerald Hippogryph mount.ImagePerhaps not, but did the art team also make a non-mount version of that new green waveway skin? The mount version was used on the Coral-Stalker Waveray. The bright green skin would be perfect on the waverays in the dream, if it exists (it's not in the game database).
Kööna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin - US

Unread post by Kööna »

I noticed this wasn't mentioned in the original post, but the blue Fae darters would make a really nice new pet. The only blue ones were dead NPCs. :(

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Also PLEASE can we have a way to tame the Green, Gold and Blue Cloud Serpents? they are counted as tameable but because they are set as 'friendly' we can't tame them. It can be something like the 'roar' emit that we can do with the gryphons.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Gonna suggest some skins and models that haven't had their chance, and would thematically work well with this patch.

Untameable Looks and Unused Models
Birds of Prey
- Nightmare Roc would be a spectacular rare mob. The nightmare isn't gone for good, just repressed. A little leakage is fine!
Carapids
- Greater Gorms are just large bugs, yet were left out throughout all of Shadowlands. Some can talk, but they were HEAVILY engorged on souls. Most are mindless bugs.
- Gormlings were fairly well received, looking like little bunny caterpillars. With skunks being added to the mix, critter models are absolutely fair game.
Crabs
- I'm not going to list all the unused combos. There's a lot, and there's one hermit crab in the Emerald Dream that uses all of the currently tameable hermit looks. Put a dozen or so new ones out there!
Devilsaurs
- Royal Zandalari Devilsaurs, aka Rezan. We can tame a loa that uses Kimbul's model, so this isn't out of the question.
Lesser Dragonkin
- Added in Warlords of Draenor, these googly-eyed fairy dragons were a perfect option to add to the Lesser Dragonkin models. Sadly, they have been forgotten and neglected.
Moths
- There are a few dozen unused color combinations of the original moth model. I'm sure these could be squeezed in to the dream somewhere.
Stags
- Stags and Does have a select few unavailable colors. The green variants were available in a part of the Emerald Dream, but only druids can get to them. Move them over to the dream we can all visit! These were added!
- Windsteeds. Teased many times, and taken from us in Shadowlands (I do like the bird horses, but still). These things deserve a spot in the dream.
Toads
- Loa toads. The few in island expeditions have been overlooked for too long. It's time to give a pass to island tames, which are home to this unique toad appearance. We can tame a loa lookalike now, after all.
Turtles
- There are several spiked and non-spiked dragon turtle colors that could easily be added around the coasts in the dream, rather than reusing Dragon Isles tortoises found elsewhere.
Worms
- Grubs, fanged grubs, and spiked grubs. Critter models are NOT off the table, and these have been wanted for a long time. Now is the time.
- Blood Worms. Granted, this is only available if you mess up the G'huun fight, it'd still be a VERY welcomed addition to blood beasts.
Bramble Beasts
- The database shows several tameable bramble beasts. Don't tease us; just let us tame these like we could on the BfA beta. Most of these were added! Still need the Bramblewing model on a tameable beast though!
Gastropods
- Slugs and snails should be made tameable since we literally have the option to tame snails right now.
Woodpeckers
- These could work well as birds of prey. I mean, they're NOT birds of prey, but they'd fit in that class just fine.
Mandragoras
- Personal bias aside, these would fit nicely in the dream. There's already one in the dream, but it's still an elemental. Flip the switch!
Razorwings
- The unloved Korthian beast that was never made tameable for unknown reasons. It uses the same animations as wyverns and wolfhawks, so why not just put them in the feathermane class?
Wilderlings
- We are getting cat raptors with 10.2. There's no reason that we can't have wolf dragons too.
Last edited by WerebearGuy on Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

My only suggestions are add the new Green-purple-blue fey dragon, replace some colors on other npcs or make a second variant to the dreamers, and add the black one as a variant to the crazed fey darters, another suggestion, make baby models unkillable, they’re too cute to die
Kööna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin - US

Unread post by Kööna »

(Edit: Suggested a non Emerald Dream hunter pet)
Last edited by Kööna on Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for all your thoughts here :)

Just to note, I mostly made this as a thread to jot down my thoughts as I investigated the new zone, and the thoughts of everyone else are very welcome. But please only mention stuff that is related to the Emerald Dream and not a wishlist of wanted tames from other places :)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I have a few more suggestions regarding the zone
- make the fire cats tameable, they make a great candidate, if fandral fire scorpions are tameable, they should be tameable too
- add the yellow dreamsaber variant to dreamsabers in the dream bough as they’re only called dreamsaber, they all fit
- let us tame firehawks again, I had to let go of my tame due to the family removal, they are a great fit for this patch
- make pineshrews and folyas tameable, If we can get skunks, we should get them too
- add the white bristlebruin as variant to one of the peaceful bristlebruins
- controversial request, make dreamtalons cats, they don’t feel right as they are in raptors
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Firehawks might’ve been removed for lore reasons. Aside from those transformed from dragons, a true fire hawk has a lifespan of about 48 hours. Yes, we have the mounts, but they typically aren’t based on the lore anyway.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Added Molten Leadspike (rare) to the list of NPCs that could retain their names.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

More suggestions from me.

-Give the orange and dark red variants to the sporebats in the zone
Vaart

Unread post by Vaart »

Since Blizzard keeps adding more rodents (namely the skunk and rock mouse), I'd like to suggest the Wolpertinger. It looks like it comes from the Emerald Dream and it's model has never been available to tame.