Thrill of the tame!! The rush! Missing :(

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
stirea
Realm: al akir

Thrill of the tame!! The rush! Missing :(

Unread post by stirea »

Hey everyone! I’ve Been playing wow since wrath! As a hunter! When taming a spirit beast made you feel famous back in the day and made you proud of your tame, time, and commitment. The rush! Omg

Now does anyone else feel like they don’t get a mini panic attack (time slows and your shaking like a leave) when that beautiful noise of npc scan picks up a spirit beast, and you manage to claim it!

I just feel like blizzard need to introduce another form of ultra rare and hard to get pets! (time-lost proto drake rare) something to make you feel amazing once tamed!

The cataclysm pets where fantastic!
The purple wolf from WoD was fun!

Example: new slime family! (Ability, coats enemy in slime slowing them ) Collect different slimes around the worlds to form a cat slime (like the mount)

Sorry for this if you don’t ask you don’t get! Just want the thrill of the tame again! The rush! Thank you! Stirea!
Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Re: Thrill of the tame!! The rush! Missing :(

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

While I absolutely adore this idea, Unfortunately my taste buds have been soured by any sort of concept for extremely rare pets due to Nah'qi. As its basically an example of what you suggested in the worst physical way possible (To cut it short, Taming Nah'qi is tied to a 1% drop chance on mythic amirdrassil)

Though I wouldn't mind some more challenging or tricky hunts like the molten front spiders or the spirit porcupine trio, Maybe it could be something like a Heavenly Gold Cloud Serpent that you need to kite while jumping from platform to platform to lower its HP enough to tame, Maybe it could be like degu in a way where you need to keep a certain distance or it will use a powerful ranged attack that will blow you off the platform and loose the kite.

Also there are still some pets where you can get a big ol adrenaline rush, The Sholazar Trio is a prime candidate, But there are others!
Zetsoban

Unread post by Zetsoban »

I enjoyed tracking down the Spirit Beasts of this expanion, Bloodgullet and Sul'raka. I liked how Sul'raka was stealthed and you needed to follow the tracks. Quite a nice way to ensure other classes won't kill it like back in Wrath.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Yeah, unless there is a way to make it so that other characters can’t see and interact with it, having something that takes 18 hours to respawn isn’t a fun hunt. And if no one else can see or interact with it, then there is no point to it being a long respawn timer.

I would rather Blizz come up with creative tames or challenging tames than games that require luck and immense patience. To me, it isn’t fun to wait for hours and hours for something to spawn, just for some random person or a jealous hunter to kill it.
Dysphoria
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Dysphoria »

stirea wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:01 am Now does anyone else feel like they don’t get a mini panic attack (time slows and your shaking like a leave) when that beautiful noise of npc scan picks up a spirit beast, and you manage to claim it!
I agree that the last few expansions (since Cataclysm really), have significantly lost the thrill of the hunt for rare pets. I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember when I first tames Rak'Shiri back in Vanilla after having camped for 18 hours straight as a level 57 and being ambushed by stealthed cats and worrying about other players coming in and ganking her....the nerves, the thrill once I achieved the tame! I do miss this experience. Rares are just not rare any more (unless they are artificially limited like Nah'qi). Now everyone has Loque etc. I would really love future expansions to go back to having at least a handful of TRULY rare and unique looking pets to tame for hunters that want to put in the time/get lucky.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Dysphoria wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:57 pm
stirea wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:01 am Now does anyone else feel like they don’t get a mini panic attack (time slows and your shaking like a leave) when that beautiful noise of npc scan picks up a spirit beast, and you manage to claim it!
I agree that the last few expansions (since Cataclysm really), have significantly lost the thrill of the hunt for rare pets. I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember when I first tames Rak'Shiri back in Vanilla after having camped for 18 hours straight as a level 57 and being ambushed by stealthed cats and worrying about other players coming in and ganking her....the nerves, the thrill once I achieved the tame! I do miss this experience. Rares are just not rare any more (unless they are artificially limited like Nah'qi). Now everyone has Loque etc. I would really love future expansions to go back to having at least a handful of TRULY rare and unique looking pets to tame for hunters that want to put in the time/get lucky.
I have tamed a few pets on my main that are truly rare, not necessarily rare npcs, but I’ve never seen people run them.

I have the following truly rare beings

- Anima gorged feaster, the ghostly mana Ray that’s so random cuz it’s only from a random side quest

- the purple ice bear, haven’t seen to many people run with it since they are unique to skinning and it’s a repetitive grind for a single tame

- ivory cloud serpent, since no one can get slivers anymore, the ivory cloud serpent is practically a extremely rare pet, even rarer than the rajani warserpents

- the shiny empowered wyrmling, it’s only found in a single map of niffen digs, the shine makes it stand out, I haven’t seen a single hunter use one

I want the pale soulseeker and the yellow magma Shalewing. They are so rare that I haven’t seen one forever and one ever. Only one hunter has tamed the yellow magma Shalewing, I tried to go after it, but gave up since I’m too busy and don’t want to sit around a camp for hours. Most rare npc pets have lost their flair of what made them special. I only see Bms running spirit beasts and it’s honestly sad. I wish rarity for cool hunter pet looks could be restored so we have a good trophy for our stables rather than a trend, but what I listed are truly rare and still obtainable
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

As always, first I apologize for my "English", you know...

Then, with the topic, it is true that SL we feel quite orphaned in love for pets, I personally was very disappointed that they did not include a spirit pet, especially given the plot of Ardenweal, the seeds of Loa, God Wild and so on.

It's true, they gave us cool things, mechacats, undead dogs, and so on.
But there was nothing "funny" to tame, no challenge.

Here in DF we have taming dragons, we have challenges like daughter Loa, in the emerald dream (ok yes, it's a small challenge, but a challenge nonetheless) and we have thorn animals and we have DUCKS.

I think that in DF we can't complain.
Even with the fire owl's bad move, even with that, DF for lovers of hunters and pets, we can't complain.
Cassady
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Cassady »

Dysphoria wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:57 pm I agree that the last few expansions (since Cataclysm really), have significantly lost the thrill of the hunt for rare pets. I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember when I first tames Rak'Shiri back in Vanilla after having camped for 18 hours straight as a level 57 and being ambushed by stealthed cats and worrying about other players coming in and ganking her....the nerves, the thrill once I achieved the tame! I do miss this experience. Rares are just not rare any more (unless they are artificially limited like Nah'qi). Now everyone has Loque etc. I would really love future expansions to go back to having at least a handful of TRULY rare and unique looking pets to tame for hunters that want to put in the time/get lucky.
I think part of the reason rares don't feel rare anymore is just because there are so many of them! The game has so many zones with so many rares that they are a dime a dozen. I agree that most hunters will have Loque or spirit beasts in their stables and I think at this point taming them is a rite of passage.
worgpower wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm I have tamed a few pets on my main that are truly rare, not necessarily rare npcs, but I’ve never seen people run them.

- Anima gorged feaster, the ghostly mana Ray that’s so random cuz it’s only from a random side quest

- the purple ice bear, haven’t seen to many people run with it since they are unique to skinning and it’s a repetitive grind for a single tame

- ivory cloud serpent, since no one can get slivers anymore, the ivory cloud serpent is practically a extremely rare pet, even rarer than the rajani warserpents

- the shiny empowered wyrmling, it’s only found in a single map of niffen digs, the shine makes it stand out, I haven’t seen a single hunter use one

I want the pale soulseeker and the yellow magma Shalewing. They are so rare that I haven’t seen one forever and one ever. Only one hunter has tamed the yellow magma Shalewing, I tried to go after it, but gave up since I’m too busy and don’t want to sit around a camp for hours. Most rare npc pets have lost their flair of what made them special. I only see Bms running spirit beasts and it’s honestly sad. I wish rarity for cool hunter pet looks could be restored so we have a good trophy for our stables rather than a trend, but what I listed are truly rare and still obtainable
So I tamed the Contaminated Shalewing yesterday and it was definitely my most fun tame so far in Dragonflight. It was quite the ordeal seeing if you could get to the phase where it can spawn and then trying to tame it before people kill it and that's assuming it even spawns in the first place. There were a lot of failed attempts but its not as bad as it seems since you can do an attempt every hour. So to answer the OP: the thrill of the tame is still out there!!
Attachments
Contaminated Shalewing.jpg
Contaminated Shalewing.jpg (812.03 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Cassady wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:46 pm
Dysphoria wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:57 pm I agree that the last few expansions (since Cataclysm really), have significantly lost the thrill of the hunt for rare pets. I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember when I first tames Rak'Shiri back in Vanilla after having camped for 18 hours straight as a level 57 and being ambushed by stealthed cats and worrying about other players coming in and ganking her....the nerves, the thrill once I achieved the tame! I do miss this experience. Rares are just not rare any more (unless they are artificially limited like Nah'qi). Now everyone has Loque etc. I would really love future expansions to go back to having at least a handful of TRULY rare and unique looking pets to tame for hunters that want to put in the time/get lucky.
I think part of the reason rares don't feel rare anymore is just because there are so many of them! The game has so many zones with so many rares that they are a dime a dozen. I agree that most hunters will have Loque or spirit beasts in their stables and I think at this point taming them is a rite of passage.
worgpower wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm I have tamed a few pets on my main that are truly rare, not necessarily rare npcs, but I’ve never seen people run them.

So I tamed the Contaminated Shalewing yesterday and it was definitely my most fun tame so far in Dragonflight. It was quite the ordeal seeing if you could get to the phase where it can spawn and then trying to tame it before people kill it and that's assuming it even spawns in the first place. There were a lot of failed attempts but its not as bad as it seems since you can do an attempt every hour. So to answer the OP: the thrill of the tame is still out there!!
I almost tamed it the other day, it got nuked even when I tried reminding my group like 10 times. I would be happy to create a group with anyone who could help, but very unlikely
Cassady
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Cassady »

I was pugging it up but didn't talk to my groups about the tame because I didn't think they would cooperate though I am sure a guild run or hunter only run something like that could work. I think you only need around 10 people to get to Affected Wildlife
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Cassady wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:45 pm I was pugging it up but didn't talk to my groups about the tame because I didn't think they would cooperate though I am sure a guild run or hunter only run something like that could work. I think you only need around 10 people to get to Affected Wildlife
Yeah that’s the thing. I try to do it solo but it doesn’t work out or appear
Janie81

Unread post by Janie81 »

I found tracking down the Spirit Beasts of this expansion, Bloodgullet and Sul'raka, to be enjoyable. I appreciated the stealth element of Sul'raka and the need to follow tracks, which made it a nice way to ensure other classes wouldn't kill it like they did back in Wrath.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

As always, I apologize if I don't understand something, you know... I don't speak English well and I have to use an automatic translator to help me.

Well, I have felt the emotion of the hunt a lot this expansion.

First I left the character I used for raid, in the gutter, at the beginning of the expansion to tame Biryuk with my hunter, since when I arrived at the Taivan missions with the paladin, I immediately decided that I wanted to tame his cousin, another good boy.

The excitement of waiting for it with the addon and PvP activated at the beginning of the expansion was incredible... when the Addon made my heart skip a beat, and when I tamed it... it was almost orgasmic because a warlock was coming for my low hunter ...and just 2 seconds after taming him I died from a chaos bolt...
And after waking up from that death, I headed out to hunt for Rustlily and the same thing, the stalking and emotion were indescribable.

Something similar when I was waiting Drakewing, although the expansion was already advanced, when the addon warns you and you run to look up...

Although nothing compares to having my wooden bear as soon as the patch is opened and running to take it out.

For me it has been an expansion full of excitement about hunting, excitement about running around looking for special things (baby bears and baby dragonhorses), excitement about having the chance to get lots of cool animals for my alters (lesser dragons), and excitement about getting some companions I had been dreaming about for years (drust animals).
Hazzal
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Hazzal »

I definitely miss the thrill of the rare tame. It was something I looked forward to with every new expansion.

I really hope we get them again but NOT like Nah'qi who was is tied to mythic drops. I like the ones that keep me in the world and on high alert.