Pet talent Q

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Pet talent Q

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Has it been determined if the pet talents are actually going to start when the hunters do instead of at level 20????

I've never understood nor liked that the pets didn't start having talent until level 20. I really hope this was addressed but I never saw it.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Re: Pet talent Q

Unread post by Victorelle »

I would think that the talents would remain the same they start when they start it now (idk when pet talents start sadly :( )
Undra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Undra »

There were not enough pet talents to justify 2 extra points. 20-80 provided a nice even amount of points they could work with to fill the space up with. with the cap going up to 85, that's one more point hunters will get to spend in the trees. They've had a whole expansion to look at how pet talents have worked and what to fix and the talents have come a long way in that regard. I'm sure there will be some changes, but i don't think any extra points will be in our future.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I've never really been a fan of pet talents.

Having all pets put down to the same amount of DPS, it makes even less sense.

We now can freely decide wich pet to use in a raid as all the pets are doing the same amount of damage. WRONG!
Each and every pet family will dish out unique buff for the group or raid. So pretty much the raidleader will tell you what pet is needed with the next boss or, even worse, which 5 pets you have to make active and carry along into the raid.

All pets are doing the same amount of damage. WRONG!
What would those talent trees be for then? You're gonna have to skill your pet in an optimized way just like you had to with having a wolf or having your own talents be "like it's recommended".
And if we still have pet categories (ferocious, tenacious & cunning), will they really have the same DPS? Will the tenacious tree be able to boost your pets damage as well as his tanking abilities?

I need to see the new system in action before I allow myself to swoon in excitement.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Undra wrote:There were not enough pet talents to justify 2 extra points. 20-80 provided a nice even amount of points they could work with to fill the space up with. with the cap going up to 85, that's one more point hunters will get to spend in the trees. They've had a whole expansion to look at how pet talents have worked and what to fix and the talents have come a long way in that regard. I'm sure there will be some changes, but i don't think any extra points will be in our future.
Another thing I've not understood is why a pet gets one talent point per every 4 levels obtained. Why not make it every two if they still wanted them to start at level 20?????

And there are enough pet talents because at only 16 talents for MM/SV and 20 (I believe it is) for BM there are still gray - unused boxes so the abilities aren't maxed out.

I don't know. Maybe it's late and I'm just not getting it. :lol: I just haven't ever understood why pets received so few talent points when they're a vital part to a hunter.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I've always thought they should just fill the tree's out more, and give them the same amount of talent points that everyone else gets. Course that would mean they'd actually have to make the tree's worthwhile, instead of the messes they are now.

But no, Blizzard has stated that they have not done their pass on pet's yet.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:I've always thought they should just fill the tree's out more, and give them the same amount of talent points that everyone else gets. Course that would mean they'd actually have to make the tree's worthwhile, instead of the messes they are now.

But no, Blizzard has stated that they have not done their pass on pet's yet.
YET. yet is the word.
we might se dramatic changes on pet skill and their trees before cata is released. We already know that many pets will get a buff/debuff or new skill.
My hope is that we can choose what tree to place our pets in, with the trees beeing a little bit more filled out. i am however o.k with the current look of em.
I would love to bring my Gezzarak with me in raids without the great dps loss >=

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Aylfric
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Aylfric »

Not to be contrary, but I don't see why pets should get the same number of talent points as a hunter. They're part of us as hunters, not separate player characters. And the more talents per pet, the more work Blizzard has to do, simply, to create and balance them.

If Blizzard wants all pets to do the same damage, that means, I guess, that they will remove all the damage related talents from the trees. Or all the damage talents which aren't shared by all pet types.

Otherwise, I think the talents will all end up being defensive and utility talents. I think they will need to create some new talents to make up for the ones that are being removed. I think that'd work out all right.

As for when pet talents start: it isn't such a bad thing that they start after hunters. It wouldn't be bad to see them start at 15, but for totally new players, it gives them 10 levels to get used to assigning their own talent points before starting to assign their pets' as well.
Jedi8187
Realm: Firetree

Unread post by Jedi8187 »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can put any pet in any tree.
Logan Howlett (Worgen Hunter)- Big game, hunting bigger game.
Solo (Mastiff)- Worgen's best friend
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Maybe pets will lose talent trees completely.

I think I remeber reading a blue post that pets will scale with their hunters ability even more than they do now.

That could actually mean that your equipment is responsible for your pets DPS as well as your own.

Oh geez... I will stop wondering now and see what Blizzard will dish out to us when Cataclysm is ready to be served.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

Pet's will be garnering 100% of the hunter's stats, but will not be buffable. But the stats from buffs will transfer over at 100%. Keep in mind the 100% of hunter stats was prior to the beta. The only sure word we have at the moment is that pet's will not be buffable, and that they'll garner 100% from buffs to the hunter. The pet pass still hasn't happened, though.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.