What are you reading right now?

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: What are you reading right now?

Unread post by Ana »

Just finished the second book in the Empyrian Serie by Rebecca Yarros. SOOOOOO good... cant wait for the next one to be released.

The book is about a war collage for dragon riders... and it´s not "how to tame your dragon" like.

there are to be 5 books but only two released so far...

https://the-empyrean-series.fandom.com/wiki/Books

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Wingaard wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:25 amI like Andrzej Sapkowski. And I mean books written before 2000!, not new series on netflix :twisted:
I loved the Witcher short story collection, and have enjoyed reading the first few novels. The second season made me so angry, I haven't watched it since :)

The dragon war college sounds interesting, Ana!

Currently reading Le Guin's Searoad, half short story collection half family saga about a very small town in the usa pacific northwest. I've enjoyed everything of hers I've read, and this is no exception.

Also reading Bakic's Mars, a short story collection for my book club. I've enjoyed a couple of the stories, but it's a bit uneven overall. to be fair I'm only about a third of the way through it, and some things may have been lost in translation.

my recent guilty pleasure read was Watkins' The Persian Always Meows Twice, a murder mystery with a cat groomer/boarder as the protagonist. it was ok, but I think I've read better cat mysteries :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Best serie i read in a long time
By Sarah J Mass
A Court of Thorns and Roses
A Court of Mist and Fury
A Court of Wings and Ruin
A Court of Frost and Starlight
A ​Court of Silver Flames

It's a fantasy book serie and I can highly recommend it

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A couple that I've read lately:

- Journey to the West, translated by Anthony C. Yu. This is probably the most famous fictional novel in Chinese literary history. Published anonymously in the 16th century, it's a fantastical account of the pilgrimage of a monk, Tripitaka, and his supernatural disciples (the principal one being Sun Wukong, aka 'Monkey' of the titular 80s tv series) to India to retrieve Buddhist Scriptures. Anthony Yu's translation is the labour of a lifetime and is probably the best. His extensive introductions and footnotes are optional but they give wonderful insight into the intentions and wordplay (incredibly complex wordplay!) of the original author. It's very long and spans 4 volumes, and their encounters can start to feel a bit repetitive (even though it was a written novel, at times the story format feels like it was influenced by oral tradition) but I found it really worthwhile. I was surprised to find that the original story was often every bit as irreverant and silly as the tv series. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in literary history and early novels.

- In the Lives of Puppets by T.J. Klune. This author is well known for writing queer literature with a fantasy or sci fi twist. His previous novel, "The House on the Cerulean Sea" is a feel-good favourite of mine. This new novel is a kind of post-apocalyptic Pinocchio tale. I enjoyed it a lot, though personally didn't find the end satisfying. Others may disagree. T.J. Klune's works are definitely recommended for anyone interested in thoughtful queer fairytales, mostly with a male-male romance.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
OnyxHydra
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde); Feathermoon (Alliance)

Unread post by OnyxHydra »

Ana wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:07 pm Best serie i read in a long time
By Sarah J Mass
A Court of Mist and Fury

These are some of my favorite books to read lately. :D I've reread them probably close to a half dozen times now as well, lol, though I often skip the first book on rereadings because of Tamliin lol. A lot of people don't like Silver Flames, but it's probably my favorite of the series, probably because I feel like I can relate to Nesta's struggle.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

OnyxHydra wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:55 am
Ana wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:07 pm Best serie i read in a long time
By Sarah J Mass
A Court of Mist and Fury

These are some of my favorite books to read lately. :D I've reread them probably close to a half dozen times now as well, lol, though I often skip the first book on rereadings because of Tamliin lol. A lot of people don't like Silver Flames, but it's probably my favorite of the series, probably because I feel like I can relate to Nesta's struggle.
without any spoilers I actually quite like Tamlin.. sometimes ;) - I hope the new books will reveal something more.. cant write to much doe to spoilers aleart

did you read her other series too?
A throne of Glass?

im on book 8 now.. but i like the court serie better...

I will read the cresent series after :D

OnyxHydra

I've been in debate if I want to start any of her other series, and I've been too busy to read lately. However, I think I will eventually get around to reading her other ones. :)

Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series is also something I've been super into lately.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I quite enjoyed the Throne of Glass series!
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Anyia wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 am I quite enjoyed the Throne of Glass series!
I finished it... it was ok but I like ACOTAR better... there will be more TOG and ACOTAR books i heard so we might get some closing on some characters

Julie Kagawas books - starting reading this
Talons
Rogue
Soldier
Legion
Inferno

Im only on book 1 - . Dragons hiding in human form spying on humans, trying to avoid a human grp formed to killed dragons. Also dragons who fled/rebelled against the dragon order Talon... soooo good
A little bait for it
"To the outside world Ember Hill is an ordinary girl, but Ember has a deadly secret. A dragon hiding in human form, she is destined to fight the shadowy Order of St. George, a powerful society of dragonslayers.
St. George soldier Garret is determined to kill Ember and her kind. Until her bravery makes him question all he’s been taught about dragons.
Now a war is coming and Garret and Ember must choose their sides – fight to save their bond or fulfil their fate and destroy one another."

I really like it so far

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Alice in wonderland meets A midsummernight dreams meets The Borg.. comfused? dont be read

Iron Fey: The Iron King / Winter's Passage / The Iron Daughter / The Iron Queen / Summer's Crossing / The Iron Knight / Iron's Prophecy / The Lost Prince / The Iron Traitor

not sure if there are more but they are awesome. im on book 3 now by Julie Kagawa

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

oh, that does sound interesting, Ana!

currently reading Rothfuss' Narrow Road Between Desires. I've only read the first Kingkiller novel, as I never warmed up to Kvothe. I really loved the Slow Regard of Silent Things though, and am enjoying this one as well.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

There are soo many books recommended here which is not avalible on my ebook app :roll:

5 books i read recently which i liked

Author Leigh bardugo
Shadow and Bone
Siege and Storm
Ruin and Rising

Author Rebecca Ross
Divine Rivals
Ruthless Vows

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'm interested in reading the Shadow and Bone series--I just finished reading her Ninth House which was enjoyable.

Also finished Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See which was...ok. I think I had this idea in my head of what I wanted it to be.

Currently reading a couple of light-hearted fantasies. Nix's Frogkisser! is for our book club and has talking Royal Dogs for all the canine lovers here. Baldree's Bookshops & Bonedust is a prequel to Legends & Lattes which I loved.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Today i finished Evie Marceaus Scarlight .. sooooo goood . 5 stars. The next book Scarbound is first released to my ebook app the 23rd of january...6 days from now.. I WANT TO READ IT NOW :D

could´t find neither Nix's Frogkisser nor Legends & Lattes or Bookshops & Bonedust ... i need a kindle subscription too.... but i have like 500 books on my TBR list :P

OnyxHydra

Started rereading the Immortals After Dark Series by Kresley Cole
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Have like 500 books on my tbr list.. what did I do
..listened to the dramatized version of the A.C.O.T.A.R series

Sooooooo what it. Man that was a fabulous ride. Amazing voice actors :headbang:

not sure if this is considered spam but i remove it if it is.. I can offer 30 days free of ebooks to anyone who can use storytell.. just use this link.. only will work for one... but if more need i will generate more referal links but i am starting with this one

https://www.storytel.com/signup?consuma ... r=41210982

let me know if its spam or it doesnt work and i can generate more links

just note that “A Court of Frost and Starlight” in the dramatized version is in the wrong order.. the "right" order to listen to them is

“A Court of Thorns and Roses”
“A Court of Mist and Fury”
“A Court of Wings and Ruin”
“A Court of Frost and Starlight”
“A Court of Silver Flames”

in the dramatized version the link “A Court of Frost and Starlight” is last which is wrong

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

just picked up a copy of Smith's Gorky Park from a local little free library. it's a bestselling thriller from my childhood that I've never read, that begins with some murders in Moscow.

this month's scifi/fantasy book club selection is Tchaikovsky's Children of Time which is about, among other things, a race of uplifted spiders!

Night Voices, Night Journeys is a collection of Cthulhu mythos short stories translated to English from the original Japanese.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Adeline Colton was cursed. Everyone in Georgia knew the devil walked her farm, and maybe they were right, because each month she had . . . dreams. Visions.. of creatures which her small town and her pappa called devilfolk. Her dad told her to walk circles around the house, to sing songs, to protect herself... She did them with her brother. When her brother came home from the war he told her that none of the creatures their daddy told them about were real.. but she still saw them... Her brother thinks she is insane and needs help

Moving to New York did not help.. her visions turns out to be the truth.. but what does that mean for her, for all mankind and for the future?

The Prince of Prohibition & The Veil of Violence

By Marilyn Marks

not sure if there will come more books.. still not done with the second one to know if there will be more

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Was recommended
Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

might be for someone but nope nope nope... it´s booring, slow moving and totally predictable.. not reading the entire series

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Made it through the first book out of 3
Daughter of no worlds by Clarissa Broadbent.

It's not bad but it's another typical 3 books build up... granted one of the better ones but moving on to a not 3 book serie... they seem to follow the same pattern

A person realativly unknown/un important is suddenly thrown into events/suddenly discoverca rare ability or something similar. Falls in love with/works with/becomes friends with someone who is the total opposite/a person from another fraction/land/lvl of society. The headperson goes through alot of tests/trails/experiences sometimes with a personal downfall for then in the end to turn off alright and the head person finds forever love/reddems themselves/saves the world/community/etc

Or maybe I just been really unlucky with my recommend books.

Hope next one will be better