Intimidation. Wooo.

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Intimidation. Wooo.

Unread post by The Insect Man »

Any mileage in campaigning for BM's freebie to be bestial wrath? surely that's more on a par with explosive shot.
Doth777
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: US Agrammar

Re: Intimidation. Wooo.

Unread post by Doth777 »

I agree, I found intimidation as the "spec-defining talent" to be very underwhelming. MM and Surv both have special shots that do good dmg and are used every fight, be it solo or groups/raids. Intimidation doesnt fit that bill, it isnt flashy/showy, it isnt very exciting for a new player, and it has a significant cooldown as opposed to the other 2 tree's specialties. I really think Bestial Wrath should've been the lvl 10 special, it defines the BM tree more than anything else, and you could have The Beast Within, Intimidation, and Exotic Pets be later key talents to pick up.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Doth777 wrote:I agree, I found intimidation as the "spec-defining talent" to be very underwhelming.
Seriously. "Your pet stuns the target" is considered the defining characteristic of a Beast Master? I thought it was our BIG RED KITTY and BEASTS ONLY WE COULD TAME, either of which I'd rather have over freaking Intimidation.

Speaking of Beast Mastery, it looks like the talent is still the level-60 or so end talent. Least we won't have to wait longer for it, though being able to take the level-12 Exotics running aorund would be nice, and all of the new Spirit Beasts Blizz hinted at (unless all of them are above lvl 80 or something).

tramani
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: dragonblight
Location: sholazar basin , i have a little place there called the avalanche

Unread post by tramani »

im raiding icc 10 hc now (not with my hunter , with my warrior ^^) and our hunter is BM , he never uses intimidation , and he never stops nagging how crappy it is =P
Undra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Undra »

Intimidation is a pet leveling skill. click that and you'll never pull the mob off your friend. In that regard, it's the perfect thing to give a 10 because they will be using it until they cap.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

For the record, I've used intimidation on some raid trash mobs for an interrupt when there's either no other option or people are being clowny. It's rare, but it happens.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I use intimidation fairly often, when I accidently gain too much aggro. My albino devilsaur, for all his awesomeness, is bad at keeping aggro. I use it all the time soloing, but in dungeons? Never. I get begged by tanks who don't know what they're doing or who are even a little laggy to turn growl off, even though it often means mobs attacking the healers. So why would I use INTIMIDATION, the spell that GIVES YOUR PET AGGRO, in a dungeon? The other two talents are all-around good, they make sense being what that tree is all about. I agree that BW should have been the talent, not intimidation. BW gets used ALL THE TIME. It also increases damage output, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the other two talents somehow increase your damage or something.

This makes me feel like my favourite tree is about being a jerk and forcing your pet to take all the damage while you run away and hide. Yes, that's sort of what all hunters do, but this makes me feel more like I'm casting misdirect on my pet and then FD. Not nearly the same, but it's how I'm feeling at the moment.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Undra wrote:Intimidation is a pet leveling skill. click that and you'll never pull the mob off your friend. In that regard, it's the perfect thing to give a 10 because they will be using it until they cap.
It's neither a core mechanic of the tree nor a defining characteristic of the tree. All of the other classes, and even our other two trees, get a skill that's the meat of what playing as that spec is all about. Beast Masters aren't known for making a mob dizzy and grumpier at our pet, we're known for HUGE BLOOD RED UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUTS OF DEATH. Intimidation is an emergency button you hit when you or someone else needs to keep their butt from being chewed off.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Ellaran wrote:HUGE BLOOD RED UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUTS OF DEATH.
Not really unstoppable. Two autoshots and it's dead.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope

Saturo wrote:
Ellaran wrote:HUGE BLOOD RED UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUTS OF DEATH.
Not really unstoppable. Two autoshots and it's dead.
BM hunter pets don't drop that fast, unless the shooting hunter works for Blizzard.

YouTube Edition

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

Saturo know's that, she is just commenting that most pet's are fairly fragile.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:Saturo know's that, she is just commenting that most pet's are fairly fragile.
Yah, I meant it more that you can't call them UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUTS OF DEATH, they really are not that powerful.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:Saturo know's that, she is just commenting that most pet's are fairly fragile.
Not with the buffs. Pets don't die to AoE except in rare cases (last boss of Gundrak comes to mind), and if they're being focused in PvP, they hold up better if they're not a dps pet.

YouTube Edition

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yes. If it's tenacity, it takes three shots instead of two.

Kalliope

Saturo wrote:Yes. If it's tenacity, it takes three shots instead of two.
Then you're doing it wrong and not popping defensive cds/getting your pet out of there.

(Fair enough, if you're going up against SHADOWMORNE, they MIGHT die that quickly and there's nothing you can do. But not everyone has that kind of gear, so saying all pets die that fast is ridiculous.)

YouTube Edition

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Kalliope wrote:
Not with the buffs. Pets don't die to AoE except in rare cases (last boss of Gundrak comes to mind), and if they're being focused in PvP, they hold up better if they're not a dps pet.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. DPS pet's, or ferocity, can and should spec into both lick your wounds and heart of the phoenix for PvP, which keeps a ferocity pet active a lot longer then anything the other two specs can bring to the field.

As far as the AoE goes, in PvE you're right. There are certain insta-gibs that will murder your pet in very short order if you don't call them back, but knowing when to pull them back is important. As for PvP, it all depends. If some one focus's on your pet, then yea it's dead. But from AoE, it depends. I've had pet's in the thick of things with Mend Pet ((And lick your wounds for ferocity)) still go down from the sheer amount of AoE flying around. But your milage may vary, I suppose.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yes, because evidently that 500 or so DPS from the pet is far more important than dealing damage. Or did you mean ALL defensive talents, which is... Cower?

Pets are laughable in PvP. Your impression of a strong, unkillable pet only means that your enemies so far haven't done AoE in it's proximity.

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Eh, I wouldn't say pet's are laughable at all, just to be honest. Sat, you've admitted yourself that you aren't BM, and don't see the joy in it. My pet's are forces of destruction in PvP, and they have gotten a good deal more durable since being able to get a portion of the hunters resilience. I just have to make sure I know where they are at pretty much all times. The 'problem' with the damage split between hunter and pet is that you have to focus both on one target to get the full effect. Spreading it out is still effective, just not as much so.

Kalliope

Saturo wrote:Yes, because evidently that 500 or so DPS from the pet is far more important than dealing damage. Or did you mean ALL defensive talents, which is... Cower?

Pets are laughable in PvP. Your impression of a strong, unkillable pet only means that your enemies so far haven't done AoE in it's proximity.
Palla already covered the two big defensive cds for ferocity pets (who are basically glass cannons). For cunning, cornered is passive and bullheaded is good for getting a snared pet out of harm's way. Tenacity has last stand, which is a massive lifesaver, and a ton of passive +healing from blood of the rhino (40% bonus on a fully specced tenacity pet, 50% for a BM hunter's).

And that doesn't even count the pets' racials.

YouTube Edition

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

So in order to have my pet alive, I need to spec into what I consider useless, like Bullheaded, and run with a turtle?

Sorry, I just won't do that.