Most Unusual food

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Most Unusual food

Unread post by Dulanie »

We have all eaten things that are unusual for various reasons. Some we love. Some we wish we hadn't, and some we're shamed to admit. I was just wondering what the most unusual thing you've eaten was?

For me I'd have to say that it was deep fried spider spider legs. I had eaten 3 before I realized they weren't onion rings. lmao
We don't die. We multiply.
Saturo

Re: Most Unusual food

Unread post by Saturo »

As stated in another thread, dog.

I can't believe I ate something as cute as a dog!

In my defense, i didn't know that I was dog.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I haven't eaten that many unusual things, actually. (I have sensory issues with food textures, so I tend to have more trouble with feel than with taste or origin.)

The most interesting to me, though, was the calamari made from squid I caught myself.

Oh -- almost forgot. When I was growing up my family was pretty poor, so we supplemented store-bought food with the stuff we grew ourselves. We raised chicken for eggs and rabbits for meat. I loved the baby rabbits, but when they got old enough I'd help my father slaughter them.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm not exactly the adventurous type when it comes to food. I know what I like and generally stick to those things.

Probably the strangest thing I've tried was bear, which was disgusting and gamey. =/ I used to work in a Hunting/Sporting store (truly hilarious as I hate hunting for sport, but it was a job and I need one at the time). Most of the guys that worked back at the gun counter would bring in deer, elk, moose, bear for their lunches since that's what they hunted. I was bold enough to try a bit of steak once and then learned it was bear. Bleck!

Heh, my boyfriend would say I was weird for liking pickles and cheese together, but it's the best thing in the world. :D Especially if you get those small, crunchy snack pickles and wrap one in a piece of cheese. Mmm. ^^
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Oh! That reminds me of the time my brother hit a deer on the way to visit my grandmother! We had venison from it, but I didn't like it much.

On the other hand, there was a commercial fisherman who lived down the street from us when I was growing up, who would trade us trash fish for rabbit and eggs. So I have quite a taste for shark. I'm also very fond of mullet, which I'm told is only used as bait fish in some places. Smoked mullet is very good, though.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dulanie »

Speaking of Dog that reminds me of this place I used to go to about 20 years ago in Chicago. They sold footlong burritoes that were huge and awesome tasting. Unfortunately when I went there for lunch one day they were closed and found out they were closed down for serving dog in the burritoes. I have yet to taste a better burrito. /cry
Emowin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Several

Unread post by Emowin »

I ate raccoon when I was younger. I don't recall what it tastes like because I was so young. But according to my mom my sister and I loved it and ate it like it was candy. But then I ate hallipio cheese like crazy when I was a child to.
Darkharvest
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem, Nesingwary

Unread post by Darkharvest »

Have tried beer battered frogs legs, it was... interesting.
"Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive."

"He's a Theodore Roosevelt, speak softly and carry a loud obnoxious wasp." BRK
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

i ate a worm once....when i was 5
Rexham
Realm: Rexxar

Unread post by Rexham »

I generally don't like telling people, but I've had shark fin soup. My boyfriend's mom ordered it during the "meet the family" dinner. Getting indignant about a $100 bowl of soup she'd just bought for me seemed like a really terrible idea, so bottoms up.
It tastes good, but I didn't find it to be anything super special or amazing.
Pins on <Petopians> US
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Well, I always thought I was picky about food with not eating liver or Brussels sprouts or Sauerkraut. Yes, I'm a german and I don't like it! :lol: But then, when I read this thread and thought about it, there might be some stuff I tried that you people might consider "strange" which I never did.

OK, here goes...
  • Crocodile
  • Kangaroo
  • Rattlesnake
  • Ostrich
  • deep fryed grashopper
  • Shark Fin Soup
  • curled smoked strip of dogfish (some smaller shark)
  • Salanganes nest soup (pretty disgusting if you think about it)
  • Turtle Soup Added after reading it below
There may be more but they won't come to my mind right now.
*getting hungry now*
Last edited by Karathyriel on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I've always wanted to try ostrich. There's a big bird farm (ostrich & emus, and I think they have one pair of rheas) across the street from my vet. And it's not like you can't find ostrich here -- I've just never had the opportunity. Same with buffalo.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Being originally from Southeast Asia, it's strange, but I'm allergic to crustaceans -- shrimp, crab, etc. I actually used to like shrimp when I was young, but around the time I hit puberty I just couldn't hold them down any more. But I digress...

I've had monitor lizard... tastes like a mix of fish and chicken.

I like those special duck eggs. Yes, those. It's fascinating how the people on travel shows pick them apart for the camera and get all disgusted. Do they dissect their KFC too?

Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

locusts
well what can i say somthings will be odd to some while its normal in other cultures

and i dont remeber mutch of what i eat apart from exeptionally delecious things

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

...I can't even topple what you guys have eaten.
Well I ate some pancakes that were made with stinging nettle leaves....I considered it unusual atleast, even if it is quite common.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dulanie »

The most unsual things I have eaten (by "Normal" american standards) are as follows....

Turtle soup- served in it's own shell.
snake- constricters and vipers (have to be careful with vipers cause of the venom glands)
Boudan rouge - Blood sausage( yes it is made with blood)
Dog burritoes - sorry don't know what breeds, but very yummy
cat kabobs - very good and the meat is surprisingly lean
chocolate grasshoppers- any bug in chocolate is good really

I have recipes for some of these if anyone is interested.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Other people.

Yes I'm kidding... like I'd admit to that anywhere...
I've had some ostrich/beef jerky before, honestly don't know how much ostrich was in it so I can't say I like it.
I don't really eat many strange things I guess. Well, strange to me. Nothing worth sharing.

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Thanks to my grandparents who lived on farms and never to let any part of their farm animals go to waste and my grandfather who loved to hunt in the woods I've had chicken feet, chicken necks, chittlins, pig's feet, souse meat (aka head cheese), cow's tongue, any pig or cow brain scrambled with eggs, "Rocky Mountain Oysters", opossum, squirrel, turtle, frogs, raccoon, and rabbit.

And if anyones in Savanah Georgia, instead of wasting your time and money at Paula Dean's Restaruant (Down home Southern Cookin' my foot. My grandma cooks better fried chicken, corn bread, and greens than the cooks at that place) there's a shopping area that has a restaurant that serves ostrich, buffalo, and turtle meat on their menu.
Jadvya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US

Unread post by Jadvya »

I've only ever had fried alligator and venison stew, as far as exotic food goes. I'd gladly try any sort of edible meat, though. Especially buffalo or rabbit.
Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

Gotta be a banana! That s**t is exotic! It's like, from Southeast Asia!!!

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro