A guide to taming Arcturis!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Hafoot
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

A guide to taming Arcturis!

Unread post by Hafoot »

Guide on how to catch Arcturis

Hey fellow hunters :mrgreen:

I found these forums through a post on http://www.outdps.com and seeing as I've been using petopia every now and then to find cool looking rare beasts to tame I thought i'd upload a guide that I wrote a little while back for catching Arcturis.

First of all if you don't know who or what Arcturis is, he is the rare spirit beast bear, there's a picture of him here:

Arcturis

This spirit bear was added in 3.3, so far there are four tameable spirit beasts in WoW, these are;
Gondria
Skoll
Loque'nak
Arcturis

Going BM

Unfortunately you must have the the talent Beast Mastery to tame spirit beasts which involves speccing fully into BM. At the moment BM isn't really competitive for raiding, but I have a feeling it soon will be. In the mean time I've picked up an arena PVP BM spec to mess around with. I've uploaded my spec here Link

Note: It might be worth picking up a PVE BM spec to start off with as when you tame him he will be 75, and I assume most hunters will run random heroics to level him up.

Where to find him

(Arcturis spawns in the red circle, ignore the blue and green areas, that's an addon)

So far there's only one known spawn for the bear, which is just north of Amber Lodge in Grizzly Hills (around 31,56). I camped on my flying mount hovering above the slope that leads down to the river. It's worth noting that there's a rare mob called Seething Hate which is part of the meta for Frosbitten that can spawn nearby too.

Camping the bear

Now you've got the area sussed it's only a matter of time until this awesome pet is yours. If you don't have the addon _NPCscan I would go and download it as it will come up with a warning and play a sound when a rare mob is nearby. I also put the following macro on my bar and spammed it occasionally to see if anything came up.

/cleartarget
/tar arcturis
/tar seething hate
/tar grocklar
/tar Syreian the Bone
/stopmacro [noexists]
/tell Hafoot Found %t

This will whisper you when you target any of the mobs on the list (arcturis and the 3 rare mobs in Grizzly Hills). Obviously replace Hafoot with your name.

From what i've read he's on a minimum 6 hour respawn timer, so if you find his corpse then tough luck, you'll just have to come back in 6 hours or so. I would recommend early morning camping when there's not many people questing, as low level players can easily bump into him and kill him. Unfortunately I think he sometimes walks around directly next to an Alliance quest giver by the river. I managed to tame him at 3:12am game time.

AND DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR CURRENT PET IN THE STABLES BEFORE YOU GO HUNTING.

When you finally find him, put a Freezing Arrow between you and the bear and tame him, simple as that. Be careful you don't attack him, a full raid geared hunter could easily kill him by accident.

He's very rare, so you must have patience if you are thinking about camping him. Note: He has the same abilities as the other spirit beasts and is more of a collecters pet than a raw dps pet.

Hope this thread helps someone out there.

Happy hunting!
Darthchun
Realm: Altar of Storms

Re: A guide to taming Arcturis!

Unread post by Darthchun »

Thanks for the guide!
I'm a SV hunter ATM, but a beast master at heart. I really hope Bm makes a come back to raiding scene soon, although I just started to really enjoi my SV build too.
Never tamed a spirit beast, I ought to try it just for fun. The spawn timers always make me cringe. I hav the Ghost Saber of darkshore, he's nice, but not a spirit beast.

Good hunting!
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Excellent guide. Probably won't use it myself, but great work nonetheless.

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

If it helps? I use a coordinate add on, and read in a few places that he spawns in Grizzly Hills at 32.56. It's right where he spawned when I tamed him, so I can confirm the coord.

And if you use NPCscan, you can add him with 38453

Good Luck anyone trying for him; he looks really nice fighting with you. :)
nidever
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by nidever »

Thank you for the guide. I have not tried to tame any of the spirit beasts yet. I am actually undecided if I like them or not. If I decide to tame one, Arcturis would be the one.
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Very good guide, but im not sure how i will win another players wanna tame him too - everyone will try to take aggro and then he will die. :(

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Khishay
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: US Trollbane

Unread post by Khishay »

Well, when you get into the debate about fighting over Arcturis when other hunters are there... It's more like what the hunters there do rather than strategy. If someone else is there, and wont leave, the bear will probably die. The only thing you can do is not give up and keep hunging.

Considering there's only one spawn locations: Should the new hunter arrival give up and leave? Do you try to muscle other people off the spot? Is it appropriate to steal aggro after one has already started the tame?

I suggest looking in the off hours when no one's there. If someone's there, might as well do some random heroics or something until later when it's open.

Also, very nice guide! I wish I had it when I was camping Arcturis myself.

My Dragon Cave...

Thanks so much to Ket Shi for the signature!

Jroaeyl
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Jroaeyl »

Great guide. Thanks.

This is the only spawn point. Others claim there is another one but have yet to prove it with a screenshot.

Also, the newest version of npcscan already has Arcturis, so no need to manually add him. Happy hunting!
Attachments
arcturis.jpg
Troo
Realm: Undermine

Unread post by Troo »

My suggestion to anyone arriving at the spot after other hunters are already there... make friends. :)

Only twice did I arrive when no one else was there. In the interest of keeping things polite and honest, I wasn't about to even attempt a tame if it showed up and I wasn't the first one there, even if they were cross faction. Just ends up with a dead bear and more competition later.

The one time I showed up and was all alone, another hunter showed up and was showing signs of attempting to tame it (setting freezing traps all the time to save the cooldown time) and I kinda made it known I wasn't happy about it. After some hostile time we actually kinda became friends on that hill. Between him and a few other hunters I would see there daily, we formed a sort of network of spawn time info for when we were offline. Had an agreed upon rule that if it spawned while we were there it was fair game for all to attempt the tame, but no one would attempt to kill it. I lucked out and Arcturis happened to spawn during one of the few hours I was all alone on the hill and it was one of the longest, most stressful tames I've ever done.

A couple of things that I picked up while chatting that I hadn't thought of before, nor have I attempted.. but most of the hunters were going to all start out their tames with an arcane shot or something of that nature to try to get and keep his aggro attention even if other people tried taming while they were. That way, even if other people decided to kill it rather than lose it, you could still get the loot if you were the first person to shoot it. Setting your freezy trap as often as possible could save you that split second it takes for that cooldown to tick off before you can cast your tame skill. Being polite helps the situation a lot. Even if you have to give up a tame to someone else, that's one less hunter that's gonna be standing on that hill with you next time it spawns.

Prepare to spend a lot of time solidly sitting in that one spot on that one hill while watching tv or something.. or to get really really lucky.
Orni
Realm: EU Krag'Jin

Unread post by Orni »

I got him today :D

Was actually really easy. I got 74 with my hunter alt yesterday so I put them at his spawn spot at night and logged on today at 8:00 am and stayed there (I tabbed out of wow but still heard the sound) so 2 hours later _NPCscan went off and I switched into WoW and here he is :D

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Orni wrote:I got him today :D
Congrats. :D

Hafoot
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by Hafoot »

Grats on getting him, he's worth the wait! Your UI is quite neat aswell.

P.s. Taming from the spellbook :lol:
winny
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by winny »

Here's me with Arcturis.
Dont forget to remove the creature cache every time you seen him with another char in Dalaran or so, if you have NpcScan.
Happened me twice, and when I logged my hunter I forgot to reset it.
Ah well I thought, he isnt there I will logg of to play with some other char.
When I was loggin at the 3sec it was left, some blue thing appeared on my screen....OMG it was him!
I hit the cancel button as quick as I could and tamed him right away.
Just wanted to say, you also have to be lucky.

So good luck to you hunters that want to tame him...you will get him!
winny
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by winny »

and one thing, Orni may I ask what add-on you use for getting the diablo kind of mana/health bar?
and grtz on taming him :)
Orni

Unread post by Orni »

winny wrote:and one thing, Orni may I ask what add-on you use for getting the diablo kind of mana/health bar?
and grtz on taming him :)
Zork UI (search at wowinterface.com)
but I also reccomend using virtual plates along with it.
You have to modify the UI through the lua files since there is no graphical configuration menue but that's even better in my opinion.
donbondave

Unread post by donbondave »

xxx wrote:Zork UI (search at wowinterface.com)
You have to modify the UI through the lua files since there is no graphical configuration menue but that's even better in my opinion.

hey whats the addon to display your current aspect? the thing in the lower right hand corner of your screen?
Orni

Unread post by Orni »

donbondave wrote:
xxx wrote:Zork UI (search at wowinterface.com)

hey whats the addon to display your current aspect? the thing in the lower right hand corner of your screen?
Power Auras Classic
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

I have tamed Arcturis and found him several times by now(5 times i think). And so far only below Amberpine. ive been checking the other two spots also to comfirm em but nothing so far.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
infetka
Realm: Kul Tiras

Unread post by infetka »

Ah it's a great guild

i'm so sad about my exotic pets which are staying stabled cuz when i reach 80 i switch to marksmanship
i had the white devilasaur, and two of the hellhounds, my poor babies
i so want to tame a spirit beast but...why should i when he'll be sleeping in the stable all the time

i really hope blizzard change smth about BM cuz now it's kinda weak for raid and heroik
Orni

Unread post by Orni »

infetka wrote:Ah it's a great guild

i'm so sad about my exotic pets which are staying stabled cuz when i reach 80 i switch to marksmanship
i had the white devilasaur, and two of the hellhounds, my poor babies
i so want to tame a spirit beast but...why should i when he'll be sleeping in the stable all the time

i really hope blizzard change smth about BM cuz now it's kinda weak for raid and heroik
As much as I like Spirit beasts ... like my Arcturis.
I think they should instead turn BM into a PvP build, a strong PvP build.

Spirit beasts shouldn't be an own family. They should instead be unique beeings within their family.
This way everybody could get them and they won't be the same anymore ...