Cataclysm Build 12759 Hunter Changes

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Cataclysm Build 12759 Hunter Changes

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Removed.
Last edited by Adam-Savage on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saturo

Re: Cataclysm Build 12759 Hunter Changes

Unread post by Saturo »

I don't want 30% ofmy damage from my pet in MM! My DPS will be gone five seconds into each fight! -.-

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Survival

* Misdirection's transferred threat is no longer permanent and will fade after 30 sec.
o.0

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

20-30% for BM, not for MM or SV Sat. And 30% is about right. I'd prefer it to be around 40%, but at least we have Kill Command to make our pets a bit more interactive now.

And Sara, that was something they wanted to start doing, to make tanks actually care about threat. None of the current threat transfers will be permanent anymore.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

oh wow. very cool. i realy hope they do the whole get pet2-5 in one level. i saw earlier it was like at 25 u get 2 slots, then at 40 you get 3. 60 you get 4 yadayada.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Tenacity 70% armor of my Armour goes to the pet for Tenacity. That's pretty sick. What are the numbers now for the amount of Armour it gets ? I think it's 34% right now for Ferocity.
Last edited by Adam-Savage on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarayana

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:And Sara, that was something they wanted to start doing, to make tanks actually care about threat. None of the current threat transfers will be permanent anymore.
Oh, so it's not only hunters? Good. If they're changing the whole mechanic and balancing content around that, I'm fine with it. Thanks Palladia. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:20-30% for BM, not for MM or SV Sat. And 30% is about right. I'd prefer it to be around 40%, but at least we have Kill Command to make our pets a bit more interactive now.
In general, we want pet dps to be 20-30% of player dps.[/quote]

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Could a beta hunter experiment with the multi-calling abilities to see how they interact with dead pets? Having to revive a pet just to dismiss it would be annoying, but being able to call all 5 before having to revive one would encourage sticking equivalent pets in at least a few slots.
Ibliisce
Realm: Thrall - US - Horde || Arcadia

Unread post by Ibliisce »

They need to extend the range on KC a couple yards, I'm having issues with a pet being "out of range" for it when it's obviously close enough to melee it and be hit in return, even when I call it back and send it in again to compensate for dancing or Devilsaurs being Devilsaury. At least it's actually working at this point, though.
Zeilla8
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ravenholdt EU

Unread post by Zeilla8 »

Nimizar wrote:Could a beta hunter experiment with the multi-calling abilities to see how they interact with dead pets? Having to revive a pet just to dismiss it would be annoying, but being able to call all 5 before having to revive one would encourage sticking equivalent pets in at least a few slots.

I tamed Slaverjaw and he died shortly after. I tried to revive him, but it said 'you already control a pet' I tried to call him and it said 'your pet is dead' >.< I had to go to the stable master and put Slaverjaw into the first pet box and then I could revive him.

WoW Hunter vids, Vlogs and Cooking!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeilla8
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Nimizar wrote:Could a beta hunter experiment with the multi-calling abilities to see how they interact with dead pets? Having to revive a pet just to dismiss it would be annoying, but being able to call all 5 before having to revive one would encourage sticking equivalent pets in at least a few slots.
More data for you:

With 5 pets and Call Pet 1-4, I called my raptor and let him die. Then I successfully called my crocolisk, then my wolf (using Call Pet).

Then I tried to call my raptor again (with Call Pet). I did the call animation and got the error "Your pet is dead." When I cast Revive Pet, the animation ended early and I got the error "Your pet is not dead."

Using Call Pet # explicitly gave the same behavior.

I headed back to the Stable Master and played around with various solutions for a while, and the only solution I was able to find that allowed me to revive the dead pet was to:
  1. Call a living pet.
  2. Open the Stable Master.
  3. Move the living pet into the inactive slots, which causes it to despawn.
  4. Move the dead pet into the active slot that the living pet had occupied. This effectively summoned the dead pet to me, although it is still dead and therefore not visible.
  5. Use Revive Pet.
Voila! Living pet.

My guess is that a dead pet is breaking Call Pet right now. The fact that I can call my croc and wolf while my raptor is dead, however, is a good sign that Blizzard intends the behavior you'd like.

Edit: And now I'm going to go post that on the beta bug report forum. I really wish they'd fix the in-game bug reporting tool.
Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Mania wrote:My guess is that a dead pet is breaking Call Pet right now. The fact that I can call my croc and wolf while my raptor is dead, however, is a good sign that Blizzard intends the behavior you'd like.

Edit: And now I'm going to go post that on the beta bug report forum. I really wish they'd fix the in-game bug reporting tool.
As I posted on the blog, I think requiring us to revive a dead pet before we can replace it with a different one will likely work better, particularly if the alternative is a flat ban on using Call Pet in combat. (Not being able to use Call Stabled Pet to rearrange pets in combat, sure. But not being able to use Call Pet itself? That would be terrible).

Another option would be to just allow us to dismiss and call dead pets, but that would still encourage pet stacking (since a 2 second Dismiss Pet cast is a lot faster than a 10 second Revive Pet cast).

My core concern is that I see any system that encourages us to have more than one of the "same" pet in an active slot as a bad idea, which means balancing the opportunity cost of Revive Pet vs Dismiss Pet + Call Pet correctly (or else disallowing dismissal of dead pets altogether).
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Nimizar wrote:
Mania wrote:My guess is that a dead pet is breaking Call Pet right now. The fact that I can call my croc and wolf while my raptor is dead, however, is a good sign that Blizzard intends the behavior you'd like.

As I posted on the blog, I think requiring us to revive a dead pet before we can replace it with a different one will likely work better, particularly if the alternative is a flat ban on using Call Pet in combat. (Not being able to use Call Stabled Pet to rearrange pets in combat, sure. But not being able to use Call Pet itself? That would be terrible).

Another option would be to just allow us to dismiss and call dead pets, but that would still encourage pet stacking (since a 2 second Dismiss Pet cast is a lot faster than a 10 second Revive Pet cast).

My core concern is that I see any system that encourages us to have more than one of the "same" pet in an active slot as a bad idea, which means balancing the opportunity cost of Revive Pet vs Dismiss Pet + Call Pet correctly (or else disallowing dismissal of dead pets altogether).
Ugh. It's completely unfair that warlocks can summon any pet they want and hunters have never been able to. The push seems to be toward a variety of pets for hunters, so I'm hoping that Blizzard can work out the kinks in the system and allow us to call any of the five from our ACTIVE pets. If people want to stack five of the same pet (or same type of pet), that's their choice. But hunters who take better care of their pets will have options between up to five.

They'll just have to allow us to dismiss dead pets. Kind of a messy fix, but it's like we're carrying their body off the field of battle to bring them back to life later...

Regardless, call pet should continue to work in combat. It makes no sense to block it. Just make the dismiss cast interruptable and possibly add a cast to the summon (and make THAT interruptable).

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Zeilla8
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ravenholdt EU

Unread post by Zeilla8 »

Kalliope wrote:
Nimizar wrote:

Ugh. It's completely unfair that warlocks can summon any pet they want and hunters have never been able to. The push seems to be toward a variety of pets for hunters, so I'm hoping that Blizzard can work out the kinks in the system and allow us to call any of the five from our ACTIVE pets. If people want to stack five of the same pet (or same type of pet), that's their choice. But hunters who take better care of their pets will have options between up to five.

They'll just have to allow us to dismiss dead pets. Kind of a messy fix, but it's like we're carrying their body off the field of battle to bring them back to life later...

Regardless, call pet should continue to work in combat. It makes no sense to block it. Just make the dismiss cast interruptable and possibly add a cast to the summon (and make THAT interruptable).
I definately think they'll get it fixed. This is just a bug in the Beta. The idea is that we can call any of our 5 active pets, as Blizz said in several blue posts and Blizzcon last year. And as far as comparing us to warlock pet abilities, at least we can name our beloved pets. Wouldn't change that for any rezzing or calling we could do in combat. ^^

WoW Hunter vids, Vlogs and Cooking!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeilla8
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I usually prefer my demon names to my pet names. How can it get any more badass then Thogzazt!? Fog-ass! Hehehe...

Warlocks consider their minions tools. They are disposable. If one of them dies, they summon a new one and that's that. A hunter has a strong bond with his pet. I don't think it's as simple for them to kick the dead wolf away and whistle for the cat instead. :D

Kalliope

I'd be seeing it more as a hunter has five loyal friends at his/her side. Just because one falls, it doesn't stop the next from jumping into the fray. Our pets still won't be disposable like warlock pets, as they shouldn't be. Just think of having an army in your pocket instead of just one loyal buddy. ;)

YouTube Edition

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Yeah but the thing is Kalli when a warlock pet dies I don't really see it as dying. The corpreal form it took is dead but it didn't die die- just went back to whatever plain the demons live on.

Atleast that's what I tell myself when Ghaalum is murdered by alliance :(

regardless Call Pet should work WITHOUT Dismiss pet, and opens up a little window. Perhaps as you said have a casting time or allow it to not be used in Battlegrounds/Arenas at all.
Kalliope

Ryai wrote:Yeah but the thing is Kalli when a warlock pet dies I don't really see it as dying. The corpreal form it took is dead but it didn't die die- just went back to whatever plain the demons live on.

Atleast that's what I tell myself when Ghaalum is murdered by alliance :(

regardless Call Pet should work WITHOUT Dismiss pet, and opens up a little window. Perhaps as you said have a casting time or allow it to not be used in Battlegrounds/Arenas at all.
Mind you, dismissing/calling a hunter pet back is a legit strategy for arenas, so I'm only talking about active pets 2-5 not getting called in, if we're talking limitations here. And yet, I still don't have an issue with us having access to multiple pets in there, though I'm sure I'll wish I hadn't said that if I have to res four pets between matches. (Erk...sorry Orpheus.)

Basically, the main benefit we'd gain from such a change is that our opponents wouldn't be as inclined to focus our pets down, because they'd know that's not a viable option with four more waiting in the wings, regardless of type. And yet, if a hunter is careless with their pets, I could see this remaining as a strategy to counter them.

(I didn't address this earlier, but I do agree, Z; I still haven't leveled a warlock yet because I prefer choosing my pets and their names. I have mixed feelings about the ones forced on me.)

YouTube Edition

Sarayana

Zeilla8 wrote:And as far as comparing us to warlock pet abilities, at least we can name our beloved pets. Wouldn't change that for any rezzing or calling we could do in combat. ^^
I created a warlock on another server to goof around on when servers were slow to come up one time, and the server gave me an imp named - I wish I was joking - Zeptik. Of course I could have loads of fun with summoning macros and all that, but I mean.. COME ON! Seriously, Blizz? :shock: :? :roll:

I know that I'll be rerolling my worgen warlock if I get a name like that.