Shattrath and Dalaran portals

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
azurelith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage(alliance)/ Bronzebeard(horde)

Shattrath and Dalaran portals

Unread post by azurelith »

Sorry if this has been posted before. I just read this over at MMO-Champion

"Beta Build 13066 - Portals removed from Shattrath and Dalaran
Blizzard doesn't want you to use Shattrath and Dalaran as portal hubs anymore, the latest beta update removed all the portal to the cities and replaced them with class trainers. "

My response to this.... they better add them into the other major cities......

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Shattrath and Dalaran portals

Unread post by Makoes »

I think what they are trying to do now is prevent the whole major city lag issues where to many players where in one city and it causes alot of latency issues. Also, possible that they are trying to bring back more use for mage ports...even though they do get alot of port requests.
Having class trainers though is a nice step, I haded having to travel to another city just to train or re-spec.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Nope, this is the first thread on this that I've seen; only just now spotted the news myself on MMO a few minutes ago.

I think this is a way of guaranteeing that the old world is where everyone will be come Cataclysm. The only thing I'd like to know is whether the CoT port will remain.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Kalliope wrote:The only thing I'd like to know is whether the CoT port will remain.
I'd be surprised if that one got removed, given that it requires faction rep to use in the first place. Also, without the portal to Shattrath from Dalaran, it won't be all that useful anyway. The closest teleport "exit" in Outland would be the Black Temple via the neck piece, which is still a long haul from Shattrath.

My speculation aside, confirmation would be welcome!
Kalliope

Anyia wrote:
Kalliope wrote:The only thing I'd like to know is whether the CoT port will remain.
I'd be surprised if that one got removed, given that it requires faction rep to use in the first place. Also, without the portal to Shattrath from Dalaran, it won't be all that useful anyway. The closest teleport "exit" in Outland would be the Black Temple via the neck piece, which is still a long haul from Shattrath.

My speculation aside, confirmation would be welcome!
I'd actually meant the CoT port in Dalaran, but the Shat one would be good to know about too. :D

YouTube Edition

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Kalliope wrote:I'd actually meant the CoT port in Dalaran, but the Shat one would be good to know about too. :D
Oh oops. I never remember that one, I keep hopping through to Shattrath and talking to Zephyr whenever I need to get down to Tanaris.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

hm, i dunno what i think of this.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

It's probably a good idea even though it involves a bit of slight inconvenience to players. This way, the player base will, theoretically, be spread out over the capital cities and not conglomerated in two which will result in server performance being better and overcrowding be not such an issue.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I honestly think that you should only be able to visit a class trainer in your own personal Capital City. Makes sense more for lore purposes possibly

There are tons of night elves but only 1 or 2 in Darnassus at a time. This would fix that.

just an idea ~ Perhaps a new Racial that allows a 2nd hearth to be permanatley set to the Home Capital City
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Kittykat »

Royi wrote:I honestly think that you should only be able to visit a class trainer in your own personal Capital City. Makes sense more for lore purposes possibly

There are tons of night elves but only 1 or 2 in Darnassus at a time. This would fix that.

just an idea ~ Perhaps a new Racial that allows a 2nd hearth to be permanatley set to the Home Capital City
This actually makes a lot of sense.

Think about it: Death Knights already have this with their "Death Gate" (sort of) since that's the only way to get DK training.

Druids have a similar deal with Teleport: Moonglade where they can train, and get a free taxi to their home cities.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Anyia »

Kittykat wrote:Druids have a similar deal with Teleport: Moonglade where they can train, and get a free taxi to their home cities 10 minute coffee break.
There, fixed that for you. ;-)

Can you tell I'm looking forward to not having to rely on flight paths in the old world?
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Hmm, though I suppose it's a bit inconvenient, overall I'm pleased that they decided to do this. I'd much rather have the world seemed 'lived in' once more, so hopefully this will promote a bit more life into Azeroth itself. x)
Kryte
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Kryte »

I like the idea of a racial hearth in addition to your normal one. I'd love to see more activity in the "other" capital cities (except Exodar. Exodar can burn).

The removal of the portals makes sense. You couldn't really teleport around Outland or Northrend, and the portals were probably made with the understanding that you would need to "leave the action", so to speak, in order to perform more mundane tasks like auctioning and training. It would be terribly irritating to go down to the Blasted Lands and THEN to wherever it was that you were before every single time. Now that the action's back in Azeroth, however, these portals serve as more of a "cheat", so to speak.

I don't mind the idea of them being removed TOO much... until I think of the prospective characters I'll have to level from 60-80 WITHOUT them. =/
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Eh for me, it's just a matter of inconvenience, but at least they stuck class trainers in there. It would've been annoying for a player leveling in Outlands to have to fly through the Dark Portal just to get to a city for training. Mages could rejoice now. X)

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Kalliope

That's a great point, Aleu! Cause that WAS vastly annoying.

I guess even if I only use the Dalaran port for myself, it's handy to have, just on principle, regardless of whether it's practical or not. After all, it's decent for pet hunting. :)

YouTube Edition

Noba
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Noba »

Do you guys think they will make the boats(or zeps for horde) a bit zippier between the 2 continents now that portals aren't an easy option for non-mages?
wildstormz
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shandris

Unread post by wildstormz »

They might have to increase the flying speed and ground mount if this gunna be end of it!< Also they might add a new hub somewhere else where it not that important worry about lags.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

a few thoughts on this...

Mages just made out.

Engineers will be making those wormhole devices. (something to do on Slick tonight). Hopefully with the specialization removals, engineers will be able to craft both.

Dalaran and Shatt are gonna be empty..

Those who paid money recently for the Kirin-tor rings just got hosed. (And, ESPECIALLY those who paid a lot for Jaina's Locket).
Account has been closed at user's request.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Royi wrote:I honestly think that you should only be able to visit a class trainer in your own personal Capital City. Makes sense more for lore purposes possibly

I do see this making a lot of sense, actually.

And seeing people spread out will be a breath of fresh air, in my opinion. :3

Hopefully they wont all stay in goldshire though....

@wild: They arent making a new hub because all the stuff in Cata is in the old world. Vanilla WoW never had hubs where portals were. If you read some other notes previously, they are making the new epic flying be 310% flying, which will be 5k gold.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I am a bit excited to hear that there isnt a "central hub" for the new Azeroth. For ally it will likely end up unofficially being IF (out of habit since thats where the AH used to be when there was only 1), but who knows, maybe Darn will make a HUGE underdog comeback. Its still my favorite city and it will even contain a Worgen district :)

I dont think those that paid for those Dal rings got 'hosed' ~ the type of people who bought those probably had a lot of extra gold anyways, Free ports to random places always have their benefits. In Dal there is still going to be the Ka'luak fishing derby that the port could be useful for, or a quick way to get to Northrend (if you're not a engineer) if you want to go look for more rares or the TLPD or something.

I'm hoping for being able to make those other 2 engineer transporters too, it would be nice to have Gadgetzan, Everlook, Toshley's Station, and K2 all ready to rock it if needed.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~