Pathfinding + 310%?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Pathfinding + 310%?

Unread post by Acherontia »

Okay, math inc--but not from me. I'm terrible at it.

Does the 310% flying skill in Cataclysm actually stack with anything, like Crusader, Pale Horse or our talent Pathfinding?

If so, what speed (total) will Pathfinding hunters fly at, and what speed total will Crusader/Pale Horse dudes fly at? (10%/20% bonus speed talents, respectively)

I can never remember if they're additive or multiplicative, and wasn't sure if they're used on top of the new 310% speed anyway. The info regarding it talks about "your fastest mount speed" so I wasn't sure if it was capped now.

(Please don't post about current 310% flyers--I'm talking about the skill in Cataclysm, not current mounts!)

Thanks for any info!
Slickrock2
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Pathfinding + 310%?

Unread post by Slickrock2 »

I doubt it. If you aren't at 310 it still might work.
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Yeah I'm fairly certain we won't be "speed capped" with the 310% skill. However, I've no idea if it's additive or multiplicative. There's a major difference between the two at 310%, so it'd be interesting to know. /lurks in thread as more savvy folks answer the question. :lol:

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

I believe it's multiplicative.

280 x 1.1 = 308%
280 x 1.2 = 336%
310 x 1.1 (10%) = 341%
310 x 1.2 (20%) = 372%

If it is, there you go.

...Why do we, for two talent points, get half of what pallies get, for free?

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Raydex-of-the-dawn wrote:...Why do we, for two talent points, get half of what pallies get, for free?
Because Pallies are the cheapest and easiest class of WOW. They have the best benefits and the best loots. They have the most "cheap" spells to use during PVP and can completely dominate any class if the pally knows how to play correctly. It is basically that the Blizzard-Gods favor them higher than all other classes combined.

~This is why my 2 main characters are a Hunter (obviously) and a Paladin. I love the paladin but I almost feel like I'm cheating sometimes when I'm soloing things or PVP'ing :)

Paladins are quite fun, if you haven't played one before you should try it. It is the only class where I actually enjoy tanking with (have raided as a Druid (in BC) and a DK tank before)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Playing a paladin is easy. Playing it well? That's tougher.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Yeah, I got my ret to ~77 and stopped because it just felt too cheat-ey. And I didn't find it fun in the slightest. Spinning around sparkling madly, fine, but spamming the same few abilities over and over was meh. After me & a 75 ret destroyed and corpsecamped a full t9 druid (back when that was cool), I stopped playing it.

It's so full of win that it's cycled back to fail.

One of my biggest pet-peeves is when my ret guildmate (who's a good player & a nice guy in general, don't get me wrong) starts complaining about rets and their weaknesses. I always want to just yell "SHUT UP. JUST SHUT UP. YOU'RE A -RET-. Play a REAL class and then get back to me."
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Raydex-of-the-dawn wrote:I believe it's multiplicative.
I haven't copied my paladin over to the PTR since she got her 310 mount, but I don't think they will change that mechanic. I can confirm that currently it's multiplicative.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

The Guild perk of 10% mounted speed stacks on top of path finding I believe as well.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Beginning of Aug, when I was on the beta with my 310 proto, the guild mounted bonus worked. Therefore I assumed it worked with Pally and DK speed increases. However, as for it working with Pathfinding? I'm not sure, I never put points in that XD

However, beta things change. As soon as I'm able to test out pathfinding and 310, I will update my post.

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

If it works with Pale Horse/Crusader, it would be:

280 x 1.3 = 364%
310 x 1.3 = 403%

Unless they're multiplied and then multiplied by the next, instead of being added together then multiplied.

280 x 1.1 x 1.2 = 369.6%
310 x 1.1 x 1.2 = 409.2%

punctuation
Realm: Stormrage

Unread post by punctuation »

I can't say if this will apply once Cataclysm hits, but if mount speeds work the same then as they do now:

Speed increases based on talents (Pale Horse, Crusader, Pathfinding) do not stack with each other. One of them (whichever is the highest) does stack, however, with mount speed.

Now, the stacking is multiplicative, but it's weird, because there's an extra 100%.

For instance, crusader aura with a 310% mount actually makes you go at 392% speed.

That's because the amount shown on mounts and talents boosts your normal movement speed. So a ground mount boosts your speed by 60%. That is, you go the 100% of normal movement speed + 60% = 160%. An epic flyer boosts your normal movement speed (100%) by 280%, so you actually move at 380%. If you have the super-fast epic flyer, you're actually moving at 410%.

Now, the talented auras boost whatever your movement speed is on a mount. So then...

Crusader + On a Pale Horse, for a 310% mount:
410 * 0.2 = 82% boost from crusader + 310% boost from mount = 392% boost
Therefore, with Crusader or On a Pale Horse and a 310% mount, you're actually flying at 492% base movement speed.

For Pathfinding on a 310% mount:
410 * 0.1 = 41% boost + 310% mount boost = 371% boost
Pathfinders on a 310% mount actually fly at 471% base movement speed.

Does this make sense? So at this point in the game, the fastest anyone can go is 492% base movement speed. That'd be a DK with On a Pale Horse and a 310% or anyone with a 310% mount and the pally aura active.

Now, once the guild perks go live, I'm not sure how the 10% movement speed one will affect this. I'm assuming it will stack, so that even a paladin will now go faster with it, but I'm not sure how it will stack or when it will stack. (That is, if the two extra boosts add together first and then multiply to the mount boost, or if one extra boost multiplies to the mount boost and then the other extra boost multiplies to the new mounted+extra boost.) Maybe I'll test that once everything calms down, after Cata.

I hope this helped!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

A Pale Horso didn't affect fliers the last time I checked, though. D:

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

punctuation

Saturo wrote:A Pale Horso didn't affect fliers the last time I checked, though. D:
On live servers, On a Pale Horse has the following effect:
On a Pale Horse wrote:Apply Aura: Mod Mounted Speed % (ground + flying)
Value: 10
Again, not sure about the Cataclysm version of the spell, but as it has been on live, it's affected all mounts, ground and flying.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Hmm... Then it's something specific about the bonegryphon. That one's speed isn't buffed. It's a known problem tough, according to GMs.

punctuation

Saturo wrote:Hmm... Then it's something specific about the bonegryphon. That one's speed isn't buffed. It's a known problem tough, according to GMs.
The DK-only flying mount? That's surprising. Isn't that mount the one that changes according to the flight skill you have? So you can buy it with regular flight and have it go 150, but if you buy epic, it turns into 280, and if you get a 310, it goes to 310? That's weird, then, that On a Pale Horse wouldn't work with that mount, since that mount already does funny things with speed...
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

You think it would be worth 5000g for this though? I'm thinking of just waiting a year to get the Violet Proto Drake, but I dont know what kind of difference it would truly make
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Royi wrote:You think it would be worth 5000g for this though? I'm thinking of just waiting a year to get the Violet Proto Drake, but I dont know what kind of difference it would truly make
You can't. After the patch, no mount is 310% anymore. You have to buy the skill. Also, it's effectively 4000g if you buy it from a faction you're exalted with.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Karrosh
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Rumstag on Nesingwary.

Unread post by Karrosh »

Sarayana wrote:You have to buy the skill. Also, it's effectively 4000g if you buy it from a faction you're exalted with.
D'oh! I wish I had read that before I ran off and trained it in Dalaran...
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Basically if you didn't have a 310% mount before this patch, you're going to be paying. It's only for those who already obtained one, they got the free flying speed. As of now even if you go farm for one of those mounts or earn the Violet Proto they'll only be at your highest learned riding speed, so no freebie 310.