Got an question about mastery.

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
OrcdudeofEreder
Realm: Ereder

Got an question about mastery.

Unread post by OrcdudeofEreder »

Ok i'm an bm hunter and wanted to know should i use reforge an put master on my gear, cause no one answering me on my server.
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Got an question about mastery.

Unread post by Sarayana »

I honestly haven't thought much about it, I haven't worried about reforging my hunter's gear yet... but I would think the BM mastery is worth it. I'd start with any extra hit you might have, and perhaps sacrifice some crit since we have that in abundance now. I'd probably also invest in some haste though, since I seem to recall that haste affects the speed of our focus regen.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

Frostheim at WHU reckoned that reforging haste for mastery was a good deal, but reforging crit for mastery was not.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

The Insect Man wrote:Frostheim at WHU reckoned that reforging haste for mastery was a good deal, but reforging crit for mastery was not.
Oh ok. What's the explanation?

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I actually did the opposite. I was WELL over 60% crit before reforging it into mastery. Now I'm closer to 50%, but am still over. I also reforged my hit down to 8% (ish). It seems to have helped. I may need to reforge my pvp gear too, actually; my damage is UTTER crap right now.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

The Insect Man wrote:Frostheim at WHU reckoned that reforging haste for mastery was a good deal, but reforging crit for mastery was not.
I'd like proof of this because thats not what he said about haste when I read it. BM needs the haste for Steady shot to be shorter.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

With the newly reduced hit cap, I plan on reforging some hit to mastery fairly soonish. With the stam->AP conversion gone from the SV tree and hit changed to a blue gem, another suggestion I have seen is to use agi/hit gems in blue slots and reforge away additional hit rating to compensate (with gear being replaced so soon I'm not going to worry about replacing any existing gems, but it is something to consider for anyone gemming new gear).

Haste and crit, I'll probably leave alone for now. I like silly levels of crit in SV, and haste directly increases focus regen as well as reducing steady shot cast time.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

I reforged all of my hit to mastery, got a pretty good bit of mastery boost (and all from gear, too, just from my armor, rings and trinkets I had nearly 13% hit rating). Was thinking of reforging some gear crit and using crit gems, but I like having a ton of agility now.

Sekhmet
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Sekhmet »

With too much crit, though, you begin to hit diminishing returns. I had 53%ish crit pre-patch and wound up with nearly 90% post. A friend of mine and one of the greatest hunters on my realm told me that anything roughly over 55% was useless and wouldn't make me hit any harder, better, etc. He recommended I reforge for haste or Mastery.

I reforged a good chunk of that extra crit away for Mastery (I'm a Survival hunter) as well as 3% hit and im sitting pretty at 17.13 Mastery.

So, yeah, I'd recommend looking into Mastery. Definitely.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Taluwen wrote:

I'd like proof of this because thats not what he said about haste when I read it. BM needs the haste for Steady shot to be shorter.

You want proof?

http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/ ...

Read it yourself, it's not hard as it's on the front page.....

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
swordoath
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by swordoath »

Mastery seems really strong in a BM build from what I've seen. My advice is to use blue gem slots for hit (since hit gems are blue now) and go over the cap, then reforge Mastery off hit to bring hit back down to the cap. This means that you (A) stay at hit cap, (B) get the slot bonuses for blue slots you were possibly missing pre-patch, and (C) get some mastery bonuses.

Credit for awesome signature to the awesome Vephriel

Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Frostheim has his advice up on WoW Insider now. This may have been the post Spiritbinder was referring to (as it's on WHU as well), but his advice is that mastery is better than both crit and haste at level 80.

He also points out that gemming for hit is likely still a bad idea, since you're generally going to be giving up Agi for it rather than crit or haste.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

I think it's an issue of balance.

I reforged my haste to mastery until I hit 20% haste, and am leaving it there. Crit is still at 58%, and I'm leaving that alone for now.
Account has been closed at user's request.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Nimizar wrote:Frostheim has his advice up on WoW Insider now. This may have been the post Spiritbinder was referring to (as it's on WHU as well), but his advice is that mastery is better than both crit and haste at level 80.

He also points out that gemming for hit is likely still a bad idea, since you're generally going to be giving up Agi for it rather than crit or haste.

Mr Frosts post on wowinsider was made after I made my 1st post, where he had only worked out that mastery was better then haste. It looks like master is better than crit too which is nice considering it gives us more options for refordging

Slickrock wrote:I think it's an issue of balance.

I reforged my haste to mastery until I hit 20% haste, and am leaving it there. Crit is still at 58%, and I'm leaving that alone for now.

I know I'm sitting at a rather high amount of crit atm but I still turned my haste into mastery over crit. As BM, I find the more crits my pet does the more invigoration procs I get, the more focus I get. I find this helps allot in pvp as some times a well timed retreat due to lack of focus can turn back to an assault. Mainly because as your pet is chewing on a mobs butt it's crits can give you the focus you need to turn around and unload.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­