Starting to like MM again

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Starting to like MM again

Unread post by Worba »

Well, I was kind of in the doldrums about MM for a while since 4.0 - trying to weave the new aimed shot into a rotation was like trying to parallel park a semi, and chimera shot seemed too simplistic.

But after some helpful tips from Kalliope I think the new setup is starting to grow on me. :)

The main difference was simply leaving aimed shot out of my rotation save for the procs - this felt very natural since I also play a fury warrior, e.g. treating aimed shot like bloodsurge/slam, and letting arcane shot be the new workhorse. It's funny how such a small seeming change would have such an impact but it did - now I can mix in plenty of shots and still get my chimera shots off fast enough to keep serp sting going throughout, and best of all my DPS went up probably 15-20%.

I'll need more time to try all this out but I like what I've seen so far.

Thanks Kal! :D
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Starting to like MM again

Unread post by Sarayana »

It's funny 'cause the thing that made BM feel like it had a natural "flow" to it again was to include arcane shot. In setting up my bars I had completely overlooked it! :lol:

Glad to hear you're liking it! I specced into SV as my second spec because I was kinda sick of how MM was so cooldown oriented, but now it sounds more proc focused like SV, so I'm not sure... Either way, I'm focusing on getting comfy in BM before deciding what to do with my other spec.

But now I know who to pester seek out if I decide to go MM. :lol:

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

BM is still my fave but MM is my secondary. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Yay!!! :D I'm glad it helped. :) Considering that I just felt things out on my own, I'm especially proud of myself for figuring things out efficiently! :lol: Marks is definitely more proc-oriented now, but once I settled into the flow, I adjusted quite quickly, moreso than to survival (at least pre-patch; I have yet to mess with it on Kallimon post-patch).

I'm still working out what feels right as BM; hopefully we'll get VoA on my server again soon so I can play with it a bit. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I haven't raided yet since the patch, but when I do heroics, I find the BM "rotation" very intuitive. Well, now that I know what to do when I'm waiting for KC to come off cooldown and I don't need another steady. ;)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

As far as I can tell, the main thing to adjust to as SV post patch is that Arcane comes in as a replacement for Aimed and is focus rather than cooldown limited. Thrill of the Hunt becomes more significant as well, since it can affect our choice of whether to hit Steady or Arcane as a filler shot. I haven't actually tried it though - been running around taming extra pets, and when I do hit a dungeon it will likely be as BM.

I think getting used to balancing Arcane usage against Steady (or Cobra when we get it) is going to be key to adjusting to the new focus system. It's kind of the equivalent of the old decision on when to switch to Viper, only as small, frequent decisions, rather than as an occasional big one.
Kalliope

Nimizar wrote:As far as I can tell, the main thing to adjust to as SV post patch is that Arcane comes in as a replacement for Aimed and is focus rather than cooldown limited.
Ooh, arcane and ES are unlinked now? Interesting change; I should have picked up on it when ES went baseline for surv.
Nimizar wrote:I think getting used to balancing Arcane usage against Steady (or Cobra when we get it) is going to be key to adjusting to the new focus system. It's kind of the equivalent of the old decision on when to switch to Viper, only as small, frequent decisions, rather than as an occasional big one.
Yes, this. The way we worked with mana was silly. Took us a while (especially toward the end of LK) to burn enough mana to need to go to viper, and when we WERE in viper, we tended to be in it for a while (look at evocate for comparison). This system seems a lot more interesting in terms of decision-making.

YouTube Edition

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Kalliope wrote:Yay!!! :D I'm glad it helped. :) Considering that I just felt things out on my own, I'm especially proud of myself for figuring things out efficiently!
And so you should be!

Lazy* people like me need enterprising people like you. ;)

*Although I do write my own addons and stuff...
Kalliope

Worba wrote:
Kalliope wrote:Yay!!! :D I'm glad it helped. :) Considering that I just felt things out on my own, I'm especially proud of myself for figuring things out efficiently!
And so you should be!

Lazy* people like me need enterprising people like you. ;)
We all have our place!
Worba wrote:*Although I do write my own addons and stuff...
And THAT sort of enterprising is definitely not my area. :lol:

YouTube Edition