Guitar Hero Dead

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Guitar Hero Dead

Unread post by Arwyn »

The game franchise with one of the coolest peripherial has been discountinued by, gasp, Activision Blizzard.

The reason:
“Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing’s Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011.”
I wonder though exactly what they mean by "declines in the music genre"? It sounds like they're saying that the new artists of today have songs not good enough to be used.
Saturo

Re: Guitar Hero Dead

Unread post by Saturo »

Well, that sucks. Guitar Hero was fun, even for people who suck at it, like me! Declines in the music genre... sounds like they either don't like music or people weren't buying enough Guitar Hero's.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I believe "declines in the music genre" is referring to the music genre of video games. Guitar Hero, Rockband, and the likes aren't selling as well as they used to.

If the product isn't making more than the money it costs to produce it, there's no sense in continuing to develop it. That's common business sense. I believe the music games have been on the decline for the last year or so in terms of sales.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Sounds stupid to discontinue it anyway. When people realize that the Kinect sucks they'll just flock back.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Well music games have been selling less the past few years so I can see why they did this.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

I'm still mad at Guitar Hero for censoring the Dead Kennedys song Police Truck. >:\

Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

The music games had a good run. After DJ hero came out, I really started to feel like they were stretching themselves a good distance further from the original win concept that started the craze. There will be other crazes... chances are good it won't involve a medium where you may reuse your guitar hero controller, but you never can tell... For me its time to set it next to other fond controllers, light guns, power gloves and various gimmicy concepts of yore.

I'm still holding my breath for virtual reality.... and a Tron MMO that uses said technology.... and relies heavily on interaction with Olivia Wilde... yeah :D
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Couldn't agree with you more Epicfail about the music games. They've pretty much run themselves into the ground. Rockband 3 is the only one that's come out with something slightly innovative.

And it's not a bad thing to cancel something that's not making money in a business. :P
The Guitar Hero games will still be around, people will still play them, there just won't be new ones.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Unread post by Galahandra »

Well only thing I didn't like with Guitar Hero was the actual lack of music I liked appearing on the games :p