Cat burglars!

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Cat burglars!

Unread post by Cialbi »

I figured that this was worth sharing to you all. If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to share them!
_

A week or two ago, my dad informed me that we had 6-7 new pets. Considering that we only have one family pet (a spayed dog), I was quite surprised. Apparently, a cat that we had been seeing occasionally in our backyard (setting off the dog alarm sometimes) was a she, and she had found the old cat door into our garage. So, earlier that day, my dad had gone into the garage, and nearly stepped on her litter of kittens (they move fast when clumsy humans come along). Considering that our garage seems to have been confused with a storage unit, they had no difficulty in hiding. Thus we met our cat burglar's family.

At first, only by silently opening the door a crack were we able to observe the kittens and their mother. The kittens are open-eyed already, and we're certain now that there are five of them. We started putting out cat food for them in a tuna can. The kittens will eat the food, even though their mother is still nursing them. Next came a litterbox, and upon a suggestion from an online friend, a bed. Both have evidently been used.

The next step was pioneered by my dad and brother. They devised cat toys by attaching a string to a stick on one end, and a small piece of cloth on the other. Thus, they could semi-remotely play with the kittens, and had success doing so. Then my dad discovered that their mother had a soft spot for tuna. He even got her to the point of eating out of his hand, but quickly decided that it wasn't such a good idea, since she isn't a very gentle eater.

One day, my dad suggested that I get to know the momma cat, and handed me a fork with some tuna on the end. All the cats were in the garage, as surmised by a quick peek. I opened the door slowly, and following his advise, got myself low to the ground. Soon, I was prone, with my arm outstretched with the fork of tuna. The mother at first hissed, then a battle of wits ensued. I tapped the fork on the ground as an invitation, while she stared at it. After a few minutes of sitting still, she finally crept forward, clearly tensed and ready to flee. Her kittens decided to follow her, flanking her but being careful not to outpace her. Finally, she ate the tuna, and retreated a little ways.

Having nothing else to do, I set down the fork, and fishing around with my hand, found a scrap of cloth. I then started flicking the cloth, drawing the kittens' attention. Finally, one of the tabbies came forward, came close enough to touch my hand, and then retreated. A minute or so later, a striped grey kitten leaped from behind the litterbox, then approached carefully, and batted once or twice at the cloth, then retreated. A while later, the tabby returned, and actually played with the cloth, batting, then biting and clawing at it. The kitten then investigated my hand, pecking at it curiously with it's nose. At some point, the kitten had it's side turned to me, and I made the stupid decision to try petting the cat with my fingertips. It barely even flinched, and I was even able to pluck a piece of sawdust from its fur. Later, the kitten wandered over by my shoulder, reaching the doorway and going out of sight of its mother. When the kitten finally walked away, it seemed unhurried. In the end, I got too stiff and sore from lying prone with my arm outstretched, and slowly retreated, all eyes watching me closely.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Re: Cat burglars!

Unread post by Bonita »

Thats pretty neat. I seriously love kittens.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Aww, nice :) I'm more of a dog person at heart, but even I have to admit that not often do puppies win out kittens in cuteness ^_^

Recently somebody dumped a bunch of young kittens in our church's parking lot, and they're reaally friendly. So we'll see how that turns out >.>

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Aww kittens are so curious and adorable when their young. Its very nice your all letting them stay and even taking care of them! I'm sure Momma cat appreciates the help. :)