Worried sick about my cat

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Worried sick about my cat

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ichabod isn't doing well. Over the past week or so we noticed a drastic decline in energy and personality. He was spending a lot of time by himself in the basement, and he didn't seem to be eating or drinking.

I was so terrified from losing Dexter last year that I didn't hesitate and booked a vet appointment right away. I could tell there was something wrong with him, and I wasn't willing to wait. He was originally supposed to go in on Saturday but last night he seemed really lethargic and I got them to bump it to today.

He was just brought in and they have no idea what's wrong with him or why he isn't eating. They did blood tests, urine tests, checked him out. At the moment they're not sure what it could be, but they can do more tests. The visit today with the tests is already going to be almost $1000, and the only thing they can do is keep him there for a while, force a tube down his throat and hook him up to IV to get him to eat and drink, and do more tests and hope he recovers. It's going to be over $100 a day for that treatment, but I don't know what else to do. We're letting them do a few more things, maybe x-rays to see if there's something wrong inside. They also said they're going to look into the possibility of feline leukemia.

I'm just a wreck over this though. My boyfriend and I are extremely tight on cash, we don't know how we'll even afford today's visit let alone the additional tests and treatments that are going to have to be done. I'm so scared of losing him, I don't know what I'll do. We've barely had him a year now, he's a young cat, he was always healthy and affectionate. I'm just scared right now. Ichy came to help heal the wound of losing Dexter, and if I suddenly lose him as well, I can't even think about it.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Re: Worried sick about my cat

Unread post by Chimera »

I really, really hope he improves, a young cat shouldnt show any of these signs by normal standards so i hope, whatever is ailing him is found in the tests and can be fixed :( :hug:

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Vephriel

More testing, and they can't figure out what's wrong.

We can't afford to have him stay there in the hopes it could help when they're not even certain what the problem is or if he would even get better. We're just going to have to hope he recovers on his own. My boyfriend's bringing him back home now, we have some food and a syringe so when I get back from work I'll try feeding and watering him myself. It's all I can do.
Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

Dear god, Veph :S
I am so sorry you're going through this. :(
I hope your baby improves. With you being his mommy, he'll feel comfortable and secure, I'm sure <3

brb going to hug my kitties

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)

Vephriel

My boyfriend and I just had a long talk after phoning the vet.

They suspect he might have cancer or feline leukemia. They would have to put him through a great deal more tests and needles in order to see for sure, but even then they might not be able to help him.

I don't want him to suffer, I don't want him to go through that stress and pain needlessly. This is the hardest thing to do, but we think it will be for the best to have him euthanized on saturday.

The last thing I want is for him to go through what Dexter did, suffering and in pain at the end. I feel like falsely extending his life for a short amount of time is just too selfish to consider, even though it's breaking my heart knowing he'll be gone in just two days time.

I'm going to spend the next two days just holding him and making sure he's comfortable and loved. I'll go in and stay with him until he's gone. He's in my lap right now and I've just had tears streaming down my face all night. It's so difficult to do this, but we both feel it's the right thing.

Thank you for listening, I feel so helpless right now but I just need somewhere to put all this down.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

That's so awful, Veph. :-( I had a kitten at one point that I only just grew fond of when I learned that she had Leukemia. Leukemia is a disease that they can live with without too much suffering, but it'll shorten their life to a few years.
Losing a pet is horrible. Spend as much time with him now as you can and make sure to remember that you're doing the right thing. He'll be happy instead of lasting longer and deteriorating further.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Hes gorgeous.. soso adorable and soft.. even though his life is short, im sure he would want no other home then yours to live it in if he had a choice *comforts*

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Vephriel

In some ways this is both easier and harder to bear. I feel at peace knowing that he won't have to suffer at the end, that he won't just have to slowly break down. I can send him off without pain and know he was as comfortable as possible until the end. Seeing Dexter die in my hands while choking and struggling to breathe was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, and that's giving me strength to know this is right.

It's harder because now I just see it looming over me, I look at him in my lap right now and know that he'll be gone soon, and that it will be because of my decision. He's here right now, I'm petting him and hearing his weak little purr, and he's tangible and in my reach. But that's not going to last much longer. I feel like I'm holding a ghost, and it's tearing me apart.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I'm sorry to hear this he looks like hes a pretty cat. D:
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Maybe this is why he came to you, to give you closure. :/

I'm so sorry, Veph. :cry:

:hug: Ichy :/

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I can't imagine what it would be like to have to put down a pet, I feel so sorry for you.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I am so, so sorry Veph! I wish there was something more I could do for you other than just give my condolences over this thread. I went through a similar experience with my kitten Auron two-three years ago so I can sympathize with how you must be feeling at this moment.

If I had the money available, I send you some in a heartbeat so your kitty could get the extra tests done. You mentioned that they weren’t positive it was leukemia without running another test. Is there a possibility he might have ate something poisonous? I really hope that whatever it is, it’s not leukemia and can be treated. I’d know I’d want to be able to rule out every other possibility before making the choice to put him down.

Keep us posted. I’ll be keeping you and Ichabod in my thoughts.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

:(
My kitty is like my child, I raised him from 4 weeks old when no one else in the world wanted him. I couldn't even imagine having to put him down.

Veph, I wish I could hug you so tight right now. Like Niabi says, I hope it's treatable and that everything turns out for the best. *sends hugs your way*

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I really wish you and Ichabod the best. I hope it will turn out that it was nothing but some bad days and he'll be up purring and demanding something to eat.
However it will be, he was loved and treated as good as possible and I'm sure that's the most important thing, knowing you did what you could and he was loved as he deserved it.
:hug:

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Fri May 25, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schwert
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: [[US - Proudmore]]

Unread post by Schwert »

I teared up a little...which is a hard thing to do.

I can only imagine the pain you're going through right now and I honestly don't want to. It hurts even thinking about seeing somebody lose such a companion.
However, you're doing the right thing. If it's indeed something that can't be fixed as the vet said it's best to not let him suffer.

Just give him as much love and attention as you can. He knows you love him.
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

Veph.. I lost my cat to feline leukemia. What you are doing for him is the right thing to do.. no more pain.. no more suffering.. just a peaceful sleep. It is the right thing.

I'm so sorry.
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
Kelarese
Realm: Sentinels-RP

Unread post by Kelarese »

I know there isn't anything I can say that will make the pain go away. But what I will do is leave you with this.

Never Good-Bye:

The road that always seemed lonely
And you were always there
There was never a maybe or someday
I knew you would always care

Waiting at the door
Or looking from your perch
Rolling around on the floor
Or pouncing from the birch.

And even when I was sad
You touched me with paw or nose
Saying, I'm here, be glad
And to my heart I would hold you close.

But now the journey ends
And holding you my heart cries
From Heaven I know your love you'll send
For this is never good-bye
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

I really do not know what I would do in your situation Veph. A few of my babies Ive raised since they could fit in the palm of my hand. I would be devastated.

I really do hope you feel better soon. =(
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I'm sorry, Veph. We went through this a few years ago when one of ours had kidney failure. In our area we have an animal shelter that provides free euthanasia for terminally-ill pets.