Chickens! (New chicks!)

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Chickens! (Update: Hawk Attack)

Unread post by Lupis »

They do, but the yard is so big that chain link (what we used) would be very expensive to use as a roof. Plus there's a tree in the middle of the yard. xD We're going to put up a bunch of stakes and try putting up tons of fish line, which is supposed to be the best for keeping hawks away if you can't put up full netting. They apparently see the stuff glinting in the sun and stay away. Clearly we don't have enough up already. >.> Only if that doesn't work will we just put up netting, but we'll resort to that if we must.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

wow the hawks you get sound like dicks.
Electraa
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bronzebeard

Unread post by Electraa »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:They do, but the yard is so big that chain link (what we used) would be very expensive to use as a roof. Plus there's a tree in the middle of the yard. xD We're going to put up a bunch of stakes and try putting up tons of fish line, which is supposed to be the best for keeping hawks away if you can't put up full netting. They apparently see the stuff glinting in the sun and stay away. Clearly we don't have enough up already. >.> Only if that doesn't work will we just put up netting, but we'll resort to that if we must.

That's understandable, the only reasons I don't have chickens myself is because I'm a rather broke person, and I have cats that love to kill bird like creatures.
Nasty, but adorable kitties they are.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

cowmuflage wrote:wow the hawks you get sound like dicks.
The hawks around here are… Uh, very good at being hawks. xD Which means they're excellent at hunting. I'm honestly surprised we've gone this long without a serious hawk attack. The only one we had before was a small one hitting Elliot, but he was fine. This hawk, according to my mother, was HUGE. (We have a LOT of hawks around here. There's a nest in our yard.)

Not that I blame or hate the hawks. That's just what they do. We basically provided them with a buffet and then put a thin wire mesh over it. They're hungry birds, of course they'll attack what's right there. At least they're not like weasels and raccoons- or dogs and foxes- because those guys will kill every single chicken in a coop and not touch a single one after they're dead. (Also don't blame them. They're predators, that's what they do. It's an instinct.)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

LupisDarkmoon wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:wow the hawks you get sound like dicks.
The hawks around here are… Uh, very good at being hawks. xD Which means they're excellent at hunting. I'm honestly surprised we've gone this long without a serious hawk attack. The only one we had before was a small one hitting Elliot, but he was fine. This hawk, according to my mother, was HUGE. (We have a LOT of hawks around here. There's a nest in our yard.)

Not that I blame or hate the hawks. That's just what they do. We basically provided them with a buffet and then put a thin wire mesh over it. They're hungry birds, of course they'll attack what's right there. At least they're not like weasels and raccoons- or dogs and foxes- because those guys will kill every single chicken in a coop and not touch a single one after they're dead. (Also don't blame them. They're predators, that's what they do. It's an instinct.)
Foxes are nasty when they do that. They could at least eat them, it's kinda a waste of food. XD We have a hawk that lives around here always see it hunting in the mangroves outback. Always gets attacked by seagulls when ever they nest there. The seagulls also are like nearly twice it's size XD

Hawks are not that big here well not big enough to catch a chicken anyway but big enough to chase my old cat around the park next door back when he was alive. :lol:
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Poor Frida, she's my favourite. I really hope she's okay!
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Re: Chickens! (Update: New chick)

Unread post by Lupis »

Emeris has been devoted to a pair of eggs for a few weeks now. It was at first a problem - we realized a few days ago that she had a horrible case of Red Mites, which are a bit like ticks but will cover your chicken by the thousands. They can eventually kill a chicken despite how small they are, and are the worst on brooding hens. Luckily, emergency treatment (some non-toxic bug repellent stuff and lots of wood ash) seem to have done pretty well in limiting their numbers…

Just in time, too.

Only one of them hatched, but we're really excited that we can raise our own flock's chick- and for once, this chick won't be an orphan. We think it's Java's egg, with either Elliot or Caesar as the father.

It's way more exciting than I ever thought it would be, to lift up the chest fluff of Emeris and see a peeping little chick hiding under her fluff. ^.^

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Re: Chickens! (Update: New Chick)

When it grows up would that make it easy to find out who made it? Like would it share bits of it's parents looks? Unless both your males look the same then never mind me XD
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Yeah, it should be easier to tell when it grows up. It's really hard to tell when they're chicks- all we know is that it's white and has a few black spots on its head.

I'm just impatient. xD

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Yeah, it should be easier to tell when it grows up. It's really hard to tell when they're chicks- all we know is that it's white and has a few black spots on its head.

I'm just impatient. xD
Fair enough, I understand. Why can't they grow faster!
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Awww omg its so cute. I've never thought chickens cute until this thread. I especially love the REALLY fluffy ones, I just want to pet them. They look so soft.

Schwert
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: [[US - Proudmore]]

Unread post by Schwert »

MORT.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Two days old and the chick is melting hearts. It loves Emeris. Most of the time it's tucked up under her fluffy wing, but every now and then it will emerge to play, though, which it does by climbing on top of Emeris and sitting on her back. We also got to see Emeris teaching it how to eat.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

/tickles the little chick. ~ Oh, so cute!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I love hawks (favorite bird!), so while I feel bad for poor Frida Kahlo, I can't hate the hawk. I do hope she's doing alright now, though!

The new little chick is ADORABLE! And I agree with everyone else, your chickens are beautiful! I have been fortunate to see many breeds - our state fair has a building dedicated to fowl (chickens, ducks, turkeys, etc.). There are some beautiful birds out there. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

A chick and her yeti.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Re: Chickens! (Update: Hawk attack... again.)

Unread post by Lupis »

Two new pictures, and some sad news- apparently our hawk proofing STILL wasn't enough, and we lost poor Joan (or Jett, I forgot which bird was which >.>) to a surprisingly small hawk. It did prove to me that I can deal with blood and gore, though, without freaking out or having any real emotional response at all. I think I'm a robot.

Poor Joan before the attack. Ah well, we're bound to lose a few! At least it wasn't one of our favorites, as cruel as that sounds. I'd have cried if the hawk had grabbed a Silkie or one of the original few.

In other news, the "little" chick is growing up. We're quite sure it's a roo, so we won't be keeping him. He's quite an odd looking bird- like a Sussex with the black neck, but somewhat barred, and with a black head.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

Noo :(
I liked her, such a pretty bird.
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Aw, poor girl. I can't blame the hawk too much, though, I'm sure they see a veritable buffet walking around and who can blame them for trying? Still, sucks that you lost one. :(

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Rhyela wrote:Aw, poor girl. I can't blame the hawk too much, though, I'm sure they see a veritable buffet walking around and who can blame them for trying? Still, sucks that you lost one. :(

Oh, I certainly don't blame 'em. And hey, that hawk got a nice Christmas dinner. Can't hog all the goods for ourselves.

My dad was really pissed off and was saying how he'd "Kill that hawk." I was extremely upset by that and made it clear that no such thing will happen.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising