Mourning the loss but not the death of two pets (I hope)

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Mourning the loss but not the death of two pets (I hope)

Unread post by Araela »

Hi all,

I have a younger sister who recently took our two family cats to the pound. She had taken them from my parents years ago, and had said that she was the only "responsible" one in the family and that she was going to take care of them. These cats are Monty and Cocoa - they are/were 12-years-old.

I'm writing because my sister took the cats to the pound after deciding she couldn't take care of them anymore. She said the financial burden was too much to have three cats. Yes, I said three. She got another cat a couple years ago as a kitten who she has decided to keep. She said Monty and Cocoa were too old and Monty was starting to get sick. She didn't want to deal with it and she dropped them off.

I only found out today, and I am absolutely heartbroken. My husband and I live in an apartment with two cats and a dog, and there was no way we could take them being at our pet allotment limit. My mother has a cat in an apartment, and could not exceed her limit of 2, nor would the other cat get along with the family cats well. My brother does not live anywhere, he couch hops. My father is living in his sister's house's basement due to the fact that my parents have been going through bankruptcy. My aunt was unwilling to take the cats. I asked around on my Facebook and called some friends and coworkers but could not find a home for them. My sister did nothing to try to find a home for them besides posting on her Facebook one time asking if anyone was interested in having two older mellow cats.

Apparently she took the cats to the pound two weeks ago, and my father and brother knew but did not tell my mother or I until today. We have had those cats since they were just a couple months old, and I hate the fact that I never got the chance to say goodbye.

After calling my sister out on my Facebook about it, she left me a rather scathing voicemail in which she called me some choice names and wished my husband a swift and prompt death in the near future. He has Cystic Fibrosis and is awaiting a double lung transplant as we speak. I know the rest of my family does not like what she did, but I'm the only one besides my husband and my mother who is willing to stand up to her. My mom has not been on speaking terms with my sister for quite some time now.

I just.. I'm completely heart broken. The cats are not listed as adoptable on the website so I am hoping that they got adopted and were not euthanized.

Monty was a fluffy tabby mix with a dark brown, black, and grey coloring. He had these huge green eyes and was extremely mellow. He would let you hold him like an infant in your arms for hours on end.

Cocoa was a bit neurotic, and had a nose fetish. She was a short hair tabby mix with big yellow/green eyes and was very playful.

I am really going to miss them both.

I wanted to post here because I know that this is a community who will appreciate the bond that people have with animals. If you could send well wishes or prayers to Monty and Cocoa, I would greatly appreciate it. I hate not knowing what has happened to them but I hope that they are in a better place.

Monty:

Cocoa:
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Mourning the loss but not the death of two pets (I hope)

Unread post by Kalliope »

*hugs* That's just awful. :/ Hopefully they got a new loving home. <3

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

I hope so too-- one with kids. They definitely liked kids.
HawkseyesX
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by HawkseyesX »

I am literally crying right now, that was so rude of her! She should be smacked upside the head! *starts ranting into a long list of terrible punishments, and you back away slowly when you hear something about a volcano*

thanks Veph for the awesome sig! :D

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

Sorry to make you cry too! My mom and I have both been crying off and on all day. I have to give props to my husband who is not only being 100% supportive but has chosen to refrain from making any reply regarding her hoping he'll die comment.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I know she's your sister and all but what a b**ch!!!

My husband is on the transplant list for kidneys so I can sort of relate to your situation in a sense. We've been waiting now for 8 years and in that time we've had a lot of scary moments when we didn't think he'd make it another year! You can be damn sure that if someone said something like what your sister said about your husband, they'd be swallowing their teeth!

I'm so sorry about your cats Araela. I sincerely hope that they both were adopted out to loving families rather than euthanized. :hug:

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

If it had been to our face, don't worry, she would have been swallowing her teeth too!

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's wait- 8 years!! I can't imagine!!! My husband is just at the point of getting listed and they said the average wait is 4-6 months, but his blood type is A+ so it might be less for him. I'll be praying for you and your husband as well!!!
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

I've decided as a way to help cope with this, that once MoP hits I'm going to get the following two cats.

Black for Monty, brown for Cocoa.

http://wow-petopia.com/look/siberiantigerblack.html

http://wow-petopia.com/look/siberiantigerbrown.html

I have always had a Star Trek stable theme, but I think having a couple different pets in this case would be more than acceptable.
Manook
Realm: Winterhoof

Unread post by Manook »

:( They will be in my prayers :hug:
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

Thanks Manook. I've decided to try to keep a positive outlook, and hope that they got adopted and are currently either with a family (or two families if they got separated) with kids where they are loved and appreciated.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

I'm sorry to hear about your cats, but then to see what your sister said about your husband, among other things -- all for probably telling her you would have appreciated any notice...

It's definitely not within my jurisdiction to say any further... but man.

I hope your cats have found a nice loving home (or two) as well. :)
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

Yeah she's a real piece of work. I feel like I should be surprised, but at the same time she pulled something similar a few years ago regarding my husband's health. Never has she just up and abandoned two animals though. I wonder what's going to happen to Luigi (her current cat) when he gets old.