Search is temporarily out of order

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Search is temporarily out of order

Unread post by Wain »

I'm currently rebuilding our board's search index, which is why search won't work currently. I'm just unsure how long it's going to take, so when it became obvious it might take a few hours I decided to post.

The reason I'm doing this is because the old search was too restrictive and counted a lot of useful search terms as "too common" to allow. Like, you couldn't even search for "spirit beast" :P Hopefully the allowed search terms will be a bit broader after the rebuild.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Search is temporarily out of order

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Thanks Wain, looking forward to it!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It's apparently still going. Which makes me think it's actually not working, though we have nearly 600 000 posts for it to index!

I'll leave it overnight (here in Australia) and if it's not done in the morning I'll stop it and look at switching to a different search backend.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It apparently worked, or at least 99% worked. It was still running this morning, so I cancelled it but it said it had indexed all but a few hundred posts (out of nearly 600 000). So, search may miss those posts (whatever they are), but I suspect they're particularly large or troublesome ones anyway and were probably causing the indexing to hang.

One current issue with the new search backend is that the minimum word length is now 4 characters, instead of 3. That isn't a huge deal, but means it won't search for some relevant terms, like 'cat' and 'dog'. I'll see if that can be fixed.