Cross Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon!

What do you think about this?

This is great! I'll pay, no problem!
9%
I love the idea, but paying for it since I already pay for WoW is really dumb.
91%
I hate this!
No votes

Total votes: 43

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Cross Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon!

Unread post by AdamSavage »

The following below is NOT a blue post. It's player post.

I found this on the bnet forums.
Platinum membership

We at Blizzard are proud to announce the new platinum membership option. With a mere $25 increase to the price of your subscription you will have access to the following.

-Random Dungeon Finder (Platinum): You will be immediately put in first in the queue in front of all non-platinum members.

-Faster Flight Services (Platinum): The flight speed for all flight taxis has been tripled for you and your alts to see the wonders that Azeroth has to offer, at triple the speed!

-Dance studio (Available to Platinum and Gold members): You will have access to the dance studio services, so get out on the dance floor and learn from the best teachers from around Azeroth!

-New Haircuts: We understand the need to distinguish yourself from the plebs, so we've added over 100 new hairstyles available to Silver, Gold and Platinum members!

-Mount rental services (All premium membership levels): Tired of someone else lording a mount over you such as Invincible or Drake of the West wind? Well no more! With this you will be able to rent any mount in the game so long as you remain a premium member of any level!
Last edited by AdamSavage on Sat May 21, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

EDIT - Scrapping my original knee-jerk reaction in favor of the following:

I don't see an actual blue post in there, just a player "requote."
Last edited by Kalliope on Sat May 21, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

97.4% sure it's fake, Kalli.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope

Yeah, my bs detector went off when the blue post wasn't immediately visible. Mostly posted in order to say "hey, this smells fake."

Moral of the story: just because it's picked up by the blue tracker (not that I even saw it there, even though I looked, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt), it doesn't make it true. Please review accuracy before spreading rumors. :) If something is from a non-Blizzard source, please specify as such.

YouTube Edition

AdamSavage

Kalliope wrote:Yeah, my bs detector went off when the blue post wasn't immediately visible. Mostly posted in order to say "hey, this smells fake."

Moral of the story: just because it's picked up by the blue tracker (not that I even saw it there, even though I looked, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt), it doesn't make it true. Please review accuracy before spreading rumors. :) If something is from a non-Blizzard source, please specify as such.
I said I FOUND it via the blue tracker. This blue post is what lead me to the above link. So here is how it happened. I click on the blue tracker post. I read the player post, then I noticed the blue post directing the player to the the battle net thread. Then 2 post down I found what I posted. Conclusion: Technically I did find it via the blue tracker. ;)

EDIT: Removed some text due to misunderstanding/misread.
Last edited by AdamSavage on Sat May 21, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Kalliope

I didn't say you BSed anyone; I said the original post you made was misleading because there was no actual blue post in the link you gave.

Thank you for the second link, as that one DOES have a blue post. Couldn't find it attempting to look the other way. :)

It still doesn't have a link to a blue posting that original text, which was what I was looking for. The post might very well be accurate, but the original post, theoretically made by a blue, should be findable SOMEWHERE.

YouTube Edition

AdamSavage

Kalliope wrote:I didn't say you BSed anyone; I said the original post you made was misleading because there was no actual blue post in the link you gave.

Thank you for the second link, as that one DOES have a blue post. Couldn't find it attempting to look the other way. :)

It still doesn't have a link to a blue posting that original text, which was what I was looking for. The post might very well be accurate, but the original post, theoretically made by a blue, should be findable SOMEWHERE.
*sigh* Fixed my original post. Got rid of any mention of a blue tracker. Added a disclaimer indicating that the post below is NOT a blue post.

Purple is the new color for today

Dr. Who Video!

Sookie
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Arthas

Unread post by Sookie »

Every response to this feature I've seen so far is varying degrees of 'no way hell would i pay for this feature blizzard, what are you smoking you idiots?'

I gotta agree on this one... what the heck is going on with their staff... seriously...
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Sookie wrote:what the heck is going on with their staff... seriously...
They're being pushed to make more money, and I believe the main portion of the blame lies with Activision.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope

AdamSavage wrote:Purple is the new color for today
Do we really need to start with this again? This is a rhetorical question. Moving on....
Saturo wrote:
Sookie wrote:what the heck is going on with their staff... seriously...
They're being pushed to make more money, and I believe the main portion of the blame lies with Activision.
This is the sort of thing that is going to drive some players off. Activision is moronic for not seeing it. It's bad business to piss off the customers.

YouTube Edition

AdamSavage

Kalliope wrote:This is the sort of thing that is going to drive some players off. Activision is moronic for not seeing it. It's bad business to piss off the customers.
It is, I'm wondering why they haven't said anything yet, the player are mocking them at this point. My post above is a good example of it. Sadly, based on what I've seen so far.

Dr. Who Video!

AdamSavage

Here is something I found on the bnet forums following a link from a blue post.
I really wish the old forums were up.

Someone had done a write up about when the game started that the profit Blizzard made from our $15 a month was around $5 per sub per month. After the changes in the in game GM staffing, consolidating servers, etc, this person showed that the profit per month per sub was around $9 a month. He had all sorts of graphs and numbers and where the sources were, almost all of them from official Vivendi/Activision Blizzard/Blizzard investor and accounting reports.

And do not think for a moment that developing this feature wil be a massive undertaking. For one thing it is already developed. Go into game, go to your friends list and a Real ID friend, right click their name and you will see, disabled by default, an invite to group option.

The point is that the real work was done way back in Wrath when cross realm dungeons were implemented.

And let's not forget, our monthly subscription fee is suppose to pay for content development. And yes, in game features are just as much content, as they are CONTAINED in the game, as are killable mobs.

For those who wish to disput the above statement I will refer you to Blizzard's own words...

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article. ... geNumber=1

Why does World of Warcraft have a subscription fee?
World of Warcraft is a unique entry in the relatively new but very popular massively multiplayer online game genre. Unlike a traditional PC game, World of Warcraft is designed for ongoing growth, with exciting new content being added regularly.

In addition to benefiting from regular expansive content updates from our ongoing live development team, World of Warcraft has its own dedicated server infrastructure and internal support staff.

Also, this goes against what Blizzard has said they wanted to do. Yes, Blizzard is a for profit company and I want them to make a profit. However, I do not wish to be charged twice. My subscription fee helped pay for the development of this so paying for it again is being double charged.

Not to mention a game has two models to choose from. Microstransactions, and yes, paying for a premium service for a game is a microtransaction, or a subscription fee. Blizzard chose a subscription model. Now they want to have both.

Let me direct you to Rob Pardo's comments on this very subject. I'll even highlight the relevant points...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... f-Warcraft

Blizzard's Rob Pardo has criticized micro-transactions in MMOGs, saying the increasingly prevalent payment system is unfair to gamers in subscription-based games like World of Warcraft.

Pardo, the senior vice-president of game design at Blizzard, made the comments during the Q&A session following his GDC address entitled "Blizzard's Approach to Multiplayer Game Design." According to a WoW Insider transcript, Pardo was asked if Blizzard had considered implementing micro-transactions in World of Warcraft. "We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach," he replied. "We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW."

"Outside resources don't play into it - no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it," he continued. "What you get out of micro-transactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing it later."

When it was suggested micro-transactions might make it easier for casual gamers to maintain pace with more serious players, Pardo said, "They aren't going to be the ones spending the money."

You notice his comment on the level playing field ONCE INSIDE WOW? That means because they chose a subscription model, each customers game experience and potential to do things should be the same as anyone else because we all pay the same.

This "service" will change that. It will no longer be a level playing field. Someone who pays extra money will have access to do something easier in the game than someone else.

Dr. Who Video!