Petopia forum downtime

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Petopia forum downtime

Unread post by Wain »

Our forum will be going down for some updates, most likely within the next 24 hours. Our current board software is more than a decade out of date and it's starting to show incompatibilities with the software of the server it runs on, so we badly need to update it! I've been putting this off until BfA was well underway and traffic had dropped.

I hope the update will be smooth and we'll be up and running again quickly. Maybe it'll take just an hour or two. But if there are ongoing problems I'll post something on the Petopia home page, and also tweet about it.

After the update the forum will look different. Our current default theme doesn't exist in the new board version, but someone has created a similar one that I can install. It will also look generic and it may take some time for me to even get the Petopia logo back (or maybe I'll be able to enable it right away).

I may also be able to install other themes for those who prefer them. Perhaps a dark theme? I'm unsure about "Lucid Lime" - does anyone still use that?

Anyway, aside from the downtime issue, the main point I wanted to convey is that it's possible things may look a little rough to begin with, but I'll work on improving the look once the software is updated and running smoothly. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Petopia forum downtime

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oooh, this will take some adjusting after having the forum looking one way all these years, but I'm looking forward to it. I'd love a nice dark theme!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Test. It seems to be working again. :)
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I'm feeling like quite the nub for asking, but how do I see which threads have new posts in them? There used to be that tiny yellow thing next to the title that I could click to instantly get to the new post, in addition to it letting me know that there was stuff unread there.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sorry, I'm not sure yet :( . I'll add it to the list of stuff I have to get working with this new software.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

It's not quite as easy to see now but the text document icon is a slightly different color on unread vs read. Working on mobile now

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Vephriel

Oooh, this is looking slick so far. :D

One thing I'll comment on, the greyed-out signature images are throwing me off a bit, they feel like big clickable links with how they highlight with an outline and it's a bit distracting while scrolling through a thread and unintentionally hovering over them. Other than that though everything's looking really nice, and I'm excited to see what other themes we can find for this layout.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 am Oooh, this is looking slick so far. :D

One thing I'll comment on, the greyed-out signature images are throwing me off a bit, they feel like big clickable links with how they highlight with an outline and it's a bit distracting while scrolling through a thread and unintentionally hovering over them. Other than that though everything's looking really nice, and I'm excited to see what other themes we can find for this layout.
I noticed that too. It's weird :/ I'm looking into it.
Vephriel

No rush, I'm sure there's going to be a lot of little tweaks to go through during the initial conversion. :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I do like how it's removed the side bar--makes it much easier to read on mobile phones.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wain wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm
Vephriel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 am Oooh, this is looking slick so far. :D

I noticed that too. It's weird :/ I'm looking into it.
It's this Subsilver theme I installed. It was setting the signature to an opacity of 0.6 and I don't know why. I've modified it to not do so.

Unfortunately this theme is no longer one of the defaults (only Prosilver is) and is made by someone else to mimic the original. If it wasn't for the sake of keeping the board looking similar to how it was I'd remove it. The author credit at the bottom had a link to a Russian online store in it (I deleted that too!), and that made me a bit worried, even though this theme is published on the phpBB site and seems to be highly regarded.

What do you think? Make this theme the default, or move to the blue, default "Prosilver" theme? (You'll have to switch it in your user control panel to compare).
Vephriel

This one does have a nice touch of familiarity - sort of like the character model revamps of WoD. It's recognizable, but with a shiny new coat of paint. I like it and think it works nicely as the default, but if there's too many oddities I'm sure it would be fine to try the other one.

(also with the signature thing fixed I have no real issues currently!)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Vephriel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm This one does have a nice touch of familiarity - sort of like the character model revamps of WoD. It's recognizable, but with a shiny new coat of paint. I like it and think it works nicely as the default, but if there's too many oddities I'm sure it would be fine to try the other one.

(also with the signature thing fixed I have no real issues currently!)
I agree with this :)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I also just added a "Prosilver SE" theme that is greyer than the default Prosilver and is rather nice. I haven't got the forum icon working with it yet. I added the Petopia logo and it works very nicely :)

This theme is by the same person that worked on the old Subsilver, I think.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for your comments and feedback so far :) I'm going to lock this post so we can centralize all feedback. Please post on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26016&p=610828#p610828

Thanks! :)