Slapperfish's World Boss Soloing Escapades

Slapperfish
Petopia Artist
Realm: Kilrogg, Wyrmrest Accord

Slapperfish's World Boss Soloing Escapades

Unread post by Slapperfish » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 am

So I've been working on catching up on BFA content, and realized the Darkshore Warfront was up for Horde on my server. I decided it was a good time to take a shot at any mounts, pets and toys I was missing from there.

After killing a handful of rares and finishing all 5 daily WQs there, I felt the sudden urge to try my hand at killing Ivus the Forest Lord for an extra service medal. At this point, I'm easily capable of soloing most of the mythic dungeon bosses in BFA that drop mounts, with the exception of Dazar in King's Rest, who I've yet to attempt at the time of writing this post. I wasn't able to solo The Lion's Roar in Arathi or Wekemara in Nazjatar, and there wasn't anyone else in the zone at that time, nor any guildies I could ask to help at that hour. Could I even pull off killing Ivus on my own?

Surprisingly, yes. On the first try, even!

...Okay maybe a simple screenshot isn't the most convincing piece of evidence. I suppose I should go into detail on how I was able to cut this tree down to size.

Currently, there doesn't appear to be any record of anyone else soloing this world boss. Someone on Wowhead did comment that they couldn't solo him on their paladin, even at 60, and I would presume it's due to how hard he melees for. Because of this, going with a tanky Ferocity pet in BM spec was absolutely necessary. I normally keep a Scalehide with me, even though Clefthooves are tankier, simply because it's useable across all three specs, and I like to switch specs quite a bit, depending on the situation. I don't believe any of my talent choices were crucial to soloing this, but I had Natural Mending selected just in case I needed extra healing. I only used Exhilaration once, and probably would have only had to use it twice at most, had I not been careless and hit it in time before my pet died. Fortunately, Aspect of the Turtle + FD + MD solves just about any sudden aggro issue.

The fight itself was relatively easy, even with a pitiful item level of 114 at level 60. (I haven't even touched Shadowlands content yet! :X) I simply had to avoid getting hit by his abilities, keep Mend Pet up at all times, and cleave down the wisps during his petrification phase. The fixate damage is negligible, and FD easily got rid of the fixates.

It probably took me about 7-8 minutes to kill Ivus, and it would certainly take much less time for any 60 BM Hunter who's actually geared.

So if you're looking to have a shot at some nice Warfront transmog pieces, or if you're just bored and want something to do, I suggest giving Ivus the old BM solo run!

Until then, see you next...

Uhhhhhhh...

...Hmm. Huh. Normally I end my posts with a "see you next tame," but it's not exactly relevant to this topic, is it?

*starts sifting through a list of words related to trees*

...Ah-HAH! This one will work.

Until then, i take my leaf!
Good lord that was terrible...

~ Slapperfish >*)))>{
Last edited by Slapperfish on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kent, 120 Human Hunter & Jezpalimu, 120 Troll Hunter
"So many pets, so little tame..."

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: I just soloed Ivus in Darkshore to see if I could.

Unread post by Valnaaros » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Nice work!

Slapperfish
Petopia Artist

Re: Slapperfish's World Boss Soloing Escapades

Unread post by Slapperfish » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:39 am

Another week, another world boss solo venture! I figured I'd devote this thread to BFA solo world boss kills and/or attempts instead of making an entirely new thread for each one.

This time I set my sights on Dunegorger Kraulok. When I attempted to make a premade group late at night with no success (apparently he drops an alpaca mount, so I figured it would be wise to see if anyone wanted a chance at it), I decided to have a go at 'em myself, despite my paltry 124 item level. And the result? Yet another victory!

Once again, the fight was fairly straightforward: Circle the boss and and keep your pet healed. This time, I didn't even have Natural Mending specced, but it turns out I didn't really need it. Occasionally, when my pet was low on HP and Exhilaration was on cooldown, I could just use Barbed Shot or Kill Command on one of the Rainishu adds chasing me to give my pet some distance from the boss and get a one or two more ticks of Mend Pet in.

Of course, I woulda had the opportunity to tame him as well after the kill, but I still haven't started Shadowlands. D:

Slapperfish
Petopia Artist

Re: Slapperfish's World Boss Soloing Escapades

Unread post by Slapperfish » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:50 pm

So I have a confession to make: I was putting Lunar Festival stuff off until the last possible minute. D:

Thus, I felt it was a fitting punishment to subject myself to attempting to solo an event boss meant for several people to take on at once.

And at this point, you can probably guess how I did.

Once again, a fairly straightforward fight: Clear the area of Omen's minions beforehand (they won't aggro with Omen, but it's nice to avoid fighting multiple mobs at once), and keep your pet healed throughout the fight. However, due to the amount of damage Omen dishes out, your pet is absolutely going to die multiple times. Thankfully, Omen doesn't run incredibly fast, and keeping maximum distance from Omen when your pet dies ensures you have enough time to resurrect it before Omen can start biting your face off from two angles. Omen also throws down a pretty wide AoE from time to time, but Disengaging out of it keeps the damage to a minimum. Additionally, Omen only has about 827k HP at level 60 (assuming it scales), and its HP doesn't reset if you die or if it runs too far from its spawn point. Just stay at it, and any hunter worth their salt in unpopulated Moonglade realm can recieve Elune's Blessing without a shred of backup!