Good Advice on Pally Tanking lvl 85 stuff

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Good Advice on Pally Tanking lvl 85 stuff

Unread post by Royi »

I'm playing my pally again and was wondering if this would be an alright build for pally tanking:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMGfRddRRudb:ksodzbzMm

I'm still level 80, but I haven't tanked on a pally since we had 51 point talent tree abilities and the like (before reforging/mastery etc)

Any help or advice on what to switch for what would be appreciated.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Aeliel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Good Advice on Pally Tanking lvl 85 stuff

Unread post by Aeliel »

Eye for an Eye is not as good as it looks - you'll get more threat from going deeper into the tree and picking up Rule of Law. Pursuit of Justice is also pretty priceless, since paladins are the only tank class without a gap closer of any kind (either the charge of warriors and druids, or the "get here you" yank of death knights).

Additionally, Improved Hammer of Justice is pretty useless for tanking, it's more of a PVP talent; Hallowed Ground is also very weak.

The spec you'd end up with would be 0/31/10.

You can switch a couple of points around into WoG-related talents for extra survival, picking up Eternal Glory rather than Seals of the Pure and 2/2 Guarded by the Light 1/2 Grand Crusader rather than the opposite - but I've personally gone with the first spec, especially considering that WoG is getting a 20sec cooldown come 4.1.

I'd recommend reading Rhidach's stuff - both his blog and his new column on WoW Insider (starting with Protection Paladin 101; he's since made posts about gearing, just click on his byline right under the article's title and it'll bring up all his posts). He knows his stuff.
-=[ Dreams of Iso'rath ]=-
-=[ Image ]=-
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Aeliel wrote:Eye for an Eye is not as good as it looks - you'll get more threat from going deeper into the tree and picking up Rule of Law. Pursuit of Justice is also pretty priceless, since paladins are the only tank class without a gap closer of any kind (either the charge of warriors and druids, or the "get here you" yank of death knights).

Additionally, Improved Hammer of Justice is pretty useless for tanking, it's more of a PVP talent; Hallowed Ground is also very weak.

The spec you'd end up with would be 0/31/10.

You can switch a couple of points around into WoG-related talents for extra survival, picking up Eternal Glory rather than Seals of the Pure and 2/2 Guarded by the Light 1/2 Grand Crusader rather than the opposite - but I've personally gone with the first spec, especially considering that WoG is getting a 20sec cooldown come 4.1.

I'd recommend reading Rhidach's stuff - both his blog and his new column on WoW Insider (starting with Protection Paladin 101; he's since made posts about gearing, just click on his byline right under the article's title and it'll bring up all his posts). He knows his stuff.
Nice thank you for the tips :)

I'm excited to get back into tanking as a pally again
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Ralanost
Realm: Terokkar

Unread post by Ralanost »

Gotten frustrated with the lack of progression on my hunter and have leveled another prot warrior. It can be really fun sometimes. It's also nice to be in control again. That is one thing I hate about being dps. You can help, but things just aren't under your contol. As a tank you control the pace and you can save prople from stupid if the healer can keep you up through it.

On the same token I wish for all the idiot puggers to burn in the fiery nether they belong. I have run into the ninja and mr. Gogogo too many times. I can't tell you how much I hate dps that pull and beg to go faster than my already breakneck speed. I leave the healer enough time to loot and catch up before I charge the next group. I CAN'T GO FASTER THAN THE HEALER. Tank with no heals is dead. They don't understand. Bah, shutting up now.

/rant off