Ideas to stop hunter "griefers"

Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Ideas to stop hunter "griefers"

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Sure, pre-cataclysm rares have good drop. Anyone killing them is in the right, as heartbreaking as it may be to see a rare you were hoping to tame dead or being killed. Killing the creature mid-tame is another question, and I know there have already have been suggestions for making it, say, impossible to deal damage to a rare while it is being tamed, etc. But the problem I think needs to be solved is people, sometimes even hunters, killing Cataclysm rares -- with no worthwhile drop -- just to "make winey huntards QQ moar", or just because they think rare = money.

My suggestion is simple, make these "hunter pet rares" -- let's call them -- friendly. And the only spell that can be cast on them is Tame Beast. Or, make them neutral, but immune to everything except Tame Beast. Maybe they'd have a new icon around their portrait, other then a silver dragon, to set them apart from actual rares.

Think it would work? Anyone have any better ideas? Would love to hear them!

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Ideas to stop hunter "griefers"

Unread post by Azunara »

Honestly, because of the rage and hate in the other thread, I'm already going to say no.

I still personally think people will find a way to exploit it (Spam tame beast to hold aggro, can't kill it or steal it away.) and people are inevitably going to go on about how "Oh, it's WoW, WARCRAFT. Suck it up and start fighting!" as we more or less saw in the other thread.

Summarizing, it just seems a "If ain't broke, don't fix it." It's fine the way it is. Down some haste food, cut your already short tame time and that's that.
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Other thread? >.>; I didn't know there was another one :oops:

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

There is. It quickly got outof hand. Frankly, I think doing anything of the like is a terrible idea, as Azu said, it's WARcraft. :D

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

It got locked due to excessive aggressiveness and all that jazz. While I think some of your ideas are slightly better, I'm still going to say no because the methods could still be exploitable, and because it's just a part of the game we have to learn to deal with.

Yes, it bloody well sucks that people will kill a tame out from under you, however, Blizzard can't really control how the player base acts within the game--it's one of the reasons online play within games can't really be rated. Some people truly enjoy being jerks for the sake of it. It's unfortunate, but it's really much to do about nothing, in my opinion. They're entitled to play the game their way, and you're entitled to play it yours.

And as a side note: It's just a game. I know we get attached to our pixel friends, but they *will* spawn again and you *will* always have another chance at them.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

The other thread didn't implode on itself due to the topic - it was the people...erm..."handling" it poorly to put it gently. :P

That said, I think I agree with Azu - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think I've been intentionally griefed in years, and while I wouldn't use such a vitriolic term on someone who kills a tameable rare, there really isn't anything wrong about killing a rare. Morally, possibly, especially if someone is taming it, but Blizzard has no rule implemented where they swoop out of the sky and slap the would-be "griefer" around while you finish the tame.

I would also like to reiterate that a rare is not yours until it shrinks and runs to your side. Ten or one second left on the tame, it doesn't matter. Is it a low blow to snipe a pet mid-tame? Oh, definitely. Did they 'steal your rare'? It was never yours to begin with.

You paint with a rather broad brush, OP. You have to remember that for the past twothree(derp) expansions and Vanilla we've had the Rare Mantra hammered into our skulls: If a creature has a silver dragon around its portrait, that means it is a rare mob and drops better than average loot. Not everyone reads Petopia, not everyone looks at Wowhead for drops, not everyone even bothers with the out-of-game community at all. Just because something is common knowledge to some people doesn't mean it is to everyone, and in a game this huge, it's safest to attribute to ignorance what you otherwise would to malice.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I don't see why not--it wouldn't hurt anyone.

Just checking I get this exactly right--you're suggesting that the Cataclysm rare tameables--the ones that drop Crystalline Tear of Loyalty--become unattackable except by Tame Beast, right? So neutral/friendly except to hunters wanting to tame them, and with a different portrait so that people don't get excited about loot or w/e?

I don't see why not; the Tear is already a step in that direction--the direction of making certain pets "hunter-only." I think that some of the "rare" spawns are already over the top with time invested trying to get them, and it'd be better off to have a method other than RNG to acquire one, but if they're just going to stay rare spawns, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. That said, you'd want to ensure that Tame tags mobs--I don't know if it does yet, but it'd be rather silly to have 2 hunters trying to fight over a mob that can only be aggroed via Tame Beast :lol:
SgtMakkie
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Twisting Nether EU, Bloodhoof EU

Unread post by SgtMakkie »

Moderation note: Removed flaming lack of respect for other community members coupled with lack of feedback.

SgtMakkie: If you can't say something moderately useful, please refrain from posting in these threads.
Last edited by Moderator on Sun May 01, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed post.

SgtMakkie

Sig by Kamoodle

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

No need to be condescending. It's a nice thought, although I don't think it will, or even should, happen. People are likely to find a way to exploit it, and then we'd be in the same boat. And I worry that it might cause an outcry of favoritism towards the class, and we would pay for it in some other way. *still raw from exotics and the decline of BM during Wrath*
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

I have one suggestion to fix it... (insert evil grin).. and I think this would fix it along with keeping with the WARcraft.

Once you start a tame, the pet "belongs" to you, and is a part of you (yes, it can still be killed or you can be killed which would cancel the tame..), but..

Once that tame occurs, since the pet belongs to you, if the other player attacks the pet or you, he is flagged. That allows you to attack him back, or friends you have with you as backup can attack him as well.

The flagging would make some griefers pause and reconsider, and also would give you a means of responding, by yourself or with backup.

Of course, it wouldn't help when your own faction is doing it, but we can't solve everything.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

I think it's an interesting idea but implementing it would be a lot of work. I don't know if there IS a fool proof way to protect beasts that are in the middle of being tamed. I like reading about the ideas, though.
Last edited by Moderator on Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote of removed post.
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Alright, we can either try and be civil or stop discussing. I was not aware there was another thread (or that it went badly), but this thread is here and we should try to keep it nice or not discuss. I would hate for a thread of mine to be locked, and I feel embarrassed for starting another thread that most likely would go downhill. I think some of the suggestions are interesting, and if we keep this nice and kind then I won't have to feel bad for mucking up the stream and starting this discussion again.

I think another option that might be better, is give mobs like Sambas a tag other then rare. Then that would solve the "rare has good loot must kill" thing... /shurg. Any other ideas?

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I don't think mobs should be come friendly and all that jazz. Part of the game is the risk of someone else taking a tame, because as Nubhorns said, that pet is NOT yours until the flash of the tame ending goes off ((you won't see a yellow flash if you tame a pet at the same level as you)).

However, on the Cata tamables that drop no loot of interest, perhaps they could have a little tag under their name that says <Hunter Pet> or something similar. It still leaves them open to be killed, but gives a greater chance for someone doing it just to be a jerk to pause and leave it be.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

SgtMakkie wrote:zero effort or risk ?!?!
Don't forget, the main "effort" with getting a rare pet is FINDING it. The risk is just when some jerk ganks it.

Perhaps if they were only attackable by hunters with a free stable slot, things would be better.
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

Acherontia wrote:I don't see why not--it wouldn't hurt anyone.

Just checking I get this exactly right--you're suggesting that the Cataclysm rare tameables--the ones that drop Crystalline Tear of Loyalty--become unattackable except by Tame Beast, right? So neutral/friendly except to hunters wanting to tame them, and with a different portrait so that people don't get excited about loot or w/e?

I don't see why not; the Tear is already a step in that direction--the direction of making certain pets "hunter-only." I think that some of the "rare" spawns are already over the top with time invested trying to get them, and it'd be better off to have a method other than RNG to acquire one, but if they're just going to stay rare spawns, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. That said, you'd want to ensure that Tame tags mobs--I don't know if it does yet, but it'd be rather silly to have 2 hunters trying to fight over a mob that can only be aggroed via Tame Beast :lol:
If thats the case here, then I can agree with it.

I wouldn't ask for more than letting tame beast actually tag the mob though. Seeing as we high levels one shot things pretty easily :P

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Miyon wrote:
Acherontia wrote:I don't see why not--it wouldn't hurt anyone.

If thats the case here, then I can agree with it.

I wouldn't ask for more than letting tame beast actually tag the mob though. Seeing as we high levels one shot things pretty easily :P
Having tame beast tag the mob would be a good idea. And, yes, I think maybe just a tag saying that it's a hunter pet or something could work, at least for people who kill them because they're rare and get disappointed when they drop nothing. Maybe add a copper dragon around the portrait, rather then silver, indicating that it is a rare spawn but gives no good loot?

Kind of a weird idea, but perhaps blizzard could add some mobs that are spawned by using some rare item. You could farm the item, and then once you got it you could summon the creature and kill/tame it (not usable in capitol cities XP). It would be different then what's been done before, but I think it might be interesting. Add a new mob or two, some items that summon them and let people farm for rares.

/shurg
Might be interesting?

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Out of interest... how could something like this be exploited? Really truly? I don't want to sound like I'm attacking anyone (I'm genuinely curious) but assuming this method was implemented, and only Tame Beast could affect the mob at all, how could it be exploited?

Someone could sit there for hours and hours on-end and just spam cast TB on the mob. Not only is that pointless (albeit annoying), but that could be a reportable offence. They can't kill it, they're not taming it, so they're just hogging it to annoy people. Report them and come back later: the mob is now only tamable, so there's surely going to be less competition and it'd be much easier to find. You could even incorporate a short enrage timer or something on the mob. 30 seconds of failed Tame attempts from the one player causes it to enrage and smoosh whoever was "taming". People are going to get sick of corpse running or repair bills after a while... point is, there are plenty of ways to work around that, and they would all deter pretty much anyone - anyone who is left still being a jerk could very very easily be reported.

The only other thing I can think of would be someone taming the rare and ditching it. In which case, it happens anyway - they either ditch or kill it. You'd still have the large number of non-hunters out there unable to do a thing.

What other ways are there to "exploit" this solution?

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Comett wrote:Out of interest... how could something like this be exploited? Really truly? I don't want to sound like I'm attacking anyone (I'm genuinely curious) but assuming this method was implemented, and only Tame Beast could affect the mob at all, how could it be exploited?

Someone could sit there for hours and hours on-end and just spam cast TB on the mob. Not only is that pointless (albeit annoying), but that could be a reportable offence. They can't kill it, they're not taming it, so they're just hogging it to annoy people. Report them and come back later: the mob is now only tamable, so there's surely going to be less competition and it'd be much easier to find. You could even incorporate a short enrage timer or something on the mob. 30 seconds of failed Tame attempts from the one player causes it to enrage and smoosh whoever was "taming". People are going to get sick of corpse running or repair bills after a while... point is, there are plenty of ways to work around that, and they would all deter pretty much anyone - anyone who is left still being a jerk could very very easily be reported.

What other ways are there to "exploit" this solution?
You answered your own question really. All it takes is one person or one group of people to sit there and spam tame a pet they have no interest in while another hunter who really wants it has to watch in dismay.

And if you think that that's just a minor annoyance anyway, how is it any different from the system already incorporated? It's nothing but an annoyance for someone to kill the mob--you get a spawn timer from it and you try again. The creature *will* respawn, just as they always have.

Finding a rare is nothing more than luck and I think hunters have already gotten a pretty decent amount of special treatment this expansion. Can you imagine the uproar from the rest of the community if Blizzard gave us MORE love by making it so that you have no risk whatsoever of losing any pet you start to tame or making hunter only mobs?

[/center]
SgtMakkie
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Twisting Nether EU, Bloodhoof EU

Unread post by SgtMakkie »

I really really really don't understand how some of you can write these comments, as interesting as they are and not think for one second how this sounds to other classes or players from their point of view!?!

Please stop asking for things to be given to you on a silver platter. If you want something, work for it and when you get it (the big yellow flash and ding of the tame ending) then you deserve it. Otherwise you're just trying to be spoilt little brats. I lost a possible tame just the other day, that's life! Just cause you get called into a job interview doesn't mean you get the job does it? :)

Moderation note: I'm striking a phrase above which is unnecessarily inflammatory and disrespectful, but I am leaving the text as an example for others.
Last edited by Moderator on Mon May 02, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Struck unnecessary flaming.

SgtMakkie

Sig by Kamoodle

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

SgtMakkie wrote:I really really really don't understand how some of you can write these comments, as interesting as they are and not think for one second how this sounds to other classes or players from their point of view!?!

Please stop asking for things to be given to you on a silver platter. If you want something, work for it and when you get it (the big yellow flash and ding of the tame ending) then you deserve it. Otherwise you're just trying to be spoilt little brats. I lost a possible tame just the other day, that's life! Just cause you get called into a job interview doesn't mean you get the job does it? :)
Not really, but griefing is against the rules, and since Blizzard pretty much put the rare Cataclysm creatures in in the game specifically for hunters to tame shows that they're warm to the idea of Hunter-only mobs.

Yes, "it's life", but if someone drove by your house every night to throw bottles at your front door, I'm pretty sure you'd want that stopped. Same principle here, it may be online and it may be just a game, but assholish behaviors shouldn't be tolerated no matter the circumstances. If people are playing the game for the sole purpose of screwing with other players, they need to be stopped. If they whine to Blizzard about how they can't interact with a few mobs out of several thousand, too bad, it's their fault for being jerks.