I'm sick of dps

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I'm sick of dps

Unread post by Monica Gems »

I'm sick of people popping tables. I'm sick of people whining "u has da low deepz". I'm sick of every fething dungeon being a competition.

Did we finish the dungeon? Did we wipe every pull? Then stfu about who's deeps is more 1337. I'm really really tired of it.
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight US

Re: I'm sick of dps

Unread post by Carnacki »

It's because we like to see our 30k heroic dps and do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBS2bH6tyPU
Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

That video made me lol.

Srslytho, I'd dive in for a class change at this point -_-
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Monica Gems wrote:I'm sick of people popping tables. I'm sick of people whining "u has da low deepz". I'm sick of every fething dungeon being a competition.

Did we finish the dungeon? Did we wipe every pull? Then stfu about who's deeps is more 1337. I'm really really tired of it.

i was once a hardcore competition for dps in EVERY dungeon... then when i relized i was doing more damage then the tank could hold threat with even with MD i found i was killing the point of grouping up, to work together to achieve a common goal... my soloing of entire mobs while the group was getting mana/heal/quest didnt really do that... but i did get us farther...

in short dont worry about it people like to boast big numbers when they are pulling them

signature thanks to Kurieno
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I learned never having recount ever really made instances more fun.

And then Cata came along and it became pretty clear that these instances will EAT. YOU. UP. So I have yet to PuG since Wrath.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Sometimes, if one person's dps is really really abnormally low, it prevents the dungeon from being completed, due to the fight going on for too long. That is when it is an issue.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

I keep recount invisible and only look at it later -- if the party wipes, for instance, it's worthwhile seeing if someone's doing something wrong. More often parties seem to wipe from someone standing in the fire and getting deaded, though -- losing 1 DPS is worse than someone simply having bad numbers.

Isle of Conquest is the current featured battleground this weekend, so that's a nice DPS meter on the boss at the end, and I've been enjoying being #2 or #3 around some much better geared people (I'm in full Season 9 PvP purples, while others are in S10 honor gear or S10 conquest gear or, for the boss fight, T12 raid gear.
Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I agree; I have SO much more fun when I'm playing my hunter, not playing my dps meter. Recently, my guildies are getting Hard X Core over dps meters, really facedesk-worthy.

Used as a tool to make sure someone's doing their job? Np! Used to spout your "superiority" though... irl strangulate mode!
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Morven »

It does become something of a measuring contest, doesn't it? *sigh*
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Not to mention that it doesn't account for all the other useful things someone could be doing aside from dps'ing, like CC, interrupts, taunt+kite the mob that was going for the healer, tranq-shotting different targets to strip buffs, etc. I much prefer to see someone capable of doing all those other things as they become necessary than stick to his/her dps rotation for "leet deeps". Then of course there are the rare gems to manage both... /tar Honnou /salute
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Morven »

Yeah, I bet there are plenty of DPS who are afraid to go low in the numbers so they'll willingly ignore fight mechanics so as not to hurt their figures.
Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Heleos »

I hate that I cant play BM as much, bc Surv is more dps and thats what everyone wants. >.<
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Morven »

Post 4.2 they're supposed to be more even anyway.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Monica Gems wrote:I'm sick of people popping tables. I'm sick of people whining "u has da low deepz". I'm sick of every fething dungeon being a competition.

I hear you.

I got recount just for my own edification - if I see someone pulling a lot more DPS, then I check his ilvl. Not much higher than mine? I need to head back to the combat dummies / WHU / etc.

But I don't report to /p unless either someone asks, or someone is being a jerk (putting down other players' DPS or loudly bragging about his own, when his own DPS is not that great, etc).

So it's useful as a self-improvement tool, and as a defense against loudmouths.

But yeah, people who just can't wait to splurt their numbers uninvited all over the chatbox, are really annoying. For those types I'd love to see an addon that simply suppresses DPS reports from general chat (might have to overlay that frame with a custom box, but it could be done).
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Kalliope wrote:Sometimes, if one person's dps is really really abnormally low, it prevents the dungeon from being completed, due to the fight going on for too long. That is when it is an issue.
This.

If you are in a group with other people, it's your role to do reasonable dps and reasonable utility. If you are doing 4k dps in ZA or ZG, then you are not doing your job.
Account has been closed at user's request.