Is this normal...?

HawkseyesX
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Is this normal...?

Unread post by HawkseyesX »

I was testing out my DPS on the dummies today and found something interesting, single target survival spec I had about 12k-13k, BM single target I had 13k-14k, survival multi target I had about 13.5k-14.5k, then BM multi target I had 15k-17k, is this normal? Lol I know that blizz kinda evened out the specs, but I still find it odd I'm doing more DPS in BM then in Survival

Edit: this was my 100th post! Woohoo!

thanks Veph for the awesome sig! :D

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Is this normal...?

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Target dummies aren't really reliable for comparing DPS. They don't take into account raid mechanics or movement and are broken for abilities like Careful Aim. A better way to get numbers would be to repeat the same boss fight with the same gear over several weeks in each spec and then take the average of those numbers - if you have raid logs available to you then that's where you'd find the best results. If not, going by Skada or Recount would give you a rough idea provided you check after each fight / have it reset after each fight.

The other thing is you're probably just better at BM than Survival, which is fine. You should play in the spec that suits you. You'll always get a better result that way. I'm the opposite. My BM DPS is at best thousands lower than my Survival DPS (easily 3-5k under, sometimes more) because I have a hard time with BM rotation and cooldowns and I haven't spent enough time figuring it out what I'm doing wrong.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

It also depends on how long you ran the test--BM is higher over a shorter period of time, although I don't know the comparison at longer durations with a worm.

Also, is reforging the same for BM & SV?
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

It can't be right - BM is "turrible", just ignore your lyin' eyes... :P

I kid, I kid.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Worba wrote:It can't be right - BM is "turrible", just ignore your lyin' eyes... :P

I kid, I kid.

LIES

It could also be that BM might suit a fight where you can stand still and shoot, whereas SV might be better for fights in which you have to move around.

And probably you might just be better at a BM rotation than a SV one. I'm SV myself, like PBC said, a couple k dps better at SV than BM
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~