Lost my will to play. Game over man, game over.

Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Lost my will to play. Game over man, game over.

Unread post by Kikanu »

I've quit World of Warcraft. Just dropped it. I've played since early BC, so I missed out when the game was intense. I played as a casual player through BC, only ever getting to the end of Karazhan. I've been to every raid since Wrath came out, AND cleared it. I've seen all sorts of stuff happen in WoW that didn't need to happen, such as simplifying talent trees, making things easier for people to get gear, and all that. I've played with a smile on my face, enjoying a game that's getting easier. I'm not furthering my art skills if I keep drawing stick people, I'm not going to be a pro chef if I can only cook microwave dinners, and I'm not going to earn money by playing with kids outside of a daycare.

I've been playing the Elder Scrolls games recently. This is an example, not the main topic. Let's fast forward to Elder Scrolls 3; Morrowind; this game was unkind to the player. You do something stupid? Your game is screwed and you need to start over. End bosses weren't simple, and they weren't stupid either. Dagoth Ur, the final boss of Morrowind, was comparable to Medivh of Warcraft; a right good A-hole with too much power. Medivh beats people up...in chess, whereas Dagoth Ur turns them into disease ridden, faceless drones with no soul, and continuously beats them to the ground. Skyrim, the latest installment of the Elder Scrolls, proved to me that games are too easy nowadays. I took a look at WoW, and BAM; my mind suddenly started working. I realized that, in comparison to the casual-oriented Skyrim, World of Warcraft was too easy.

Let's look at WoW's raid bosses. Malchezar, the end boss of Kara, was tough; he had legitimately annoying and difficult mechanics. Kael'Thas? He just doesn't know when to shut up, and out of nowhere drops bombs on you. Illidan? You're getting wrecked by a moving lore book. These were the prime of World of Warcraft; the best we'd ever have. Then, Lich King comes around, along with the silly loot tournament and loot dragons. Lich King was tough, yes, but the rest was stupid. "Oh, players are crying on the forums that it's too hard? Ok, let's make it easier." Click, click, patch later, more free loot. Seriously, even idiots could kill Lich King at the end of Wrath's reign; I know for a fact since I was running with a Fury Warrior tank and Unholy DK tank. It actually worked.

Now, we have Cataclysm to tide us over. The raids were legitimately tough at first; Nefarian's necrophiliac Nightmare of a dungeon was not to be trifled with, and the Twilight Hammer was full of surprises. Then, came Firelands; what appeared to be a great raid was shadowed by horrible writing. Say what you will, but I firmly believe it was a literal "ass pull" for story, by which I mean "hey, let's somehow incorporate a druid made of fire." Didn't need that nonsense; could've just gone and fought Ragnaros without the silly story. "Let's make Thrall look important. He abandoned his people, so let's give him something to do." What does he do? He gets a bald alien wife. Cataclysm comes around, and oh boy, were we all excited to finally kill Deathwing. It was exciting...the first time in Raid Finder. Doing it in 10 man just felt like a stupid job requirement.

Looking at Pandaria, we're overflowing with vibrant colors, lush environments, and more than ten NPCs per load time! We even get fuzzy animals as a playable race, to the happiness and dismay of many. Here's where I got skeptical of the game; why pandas, why oriental theme, why now? The cataclysm screwed everything up for the pandas, but it took them this long to simply have a ship crash into the giant turtle? The story seems stupid in many ways, especially since it has no similarity to the original story. I've been in beta since the next-to-last wave of testers were let in, and I've seen the changes since then. Anduin is a Mary Sue, Jaina's...quite a vulgar B word, Garrosh is still a horrible character design, and nobody is doing anything worthwhile. It's like a corny Chinese B-Movie; "You must master the way of the chi energy....yadda yadda". I came into the game looking for medieval and fantasy combat, and that's why I stayed til now. After playing the beta, I've realized just how much it's changing the game for the worst. I'm sure you all will disagree, find loopholes in my logic, and so on, but this is not for the better of the game.

What good is a game if you can complete the content too quickly? These "Pro" raiding guilds that clear raids too fast just prove how stupid easy the game is getting. Sure, they use big numbers and words to make it look hard, but it's not hard; it's buttered up with nothing but common sense and flashy lights. In Cataclysm, every wipe I've been in has always had me thinking "If you guys would pay better attention, this wouldn't happen." Forget numbers, forget timers, fire on the ground is BAD. It's been that way since vanilla, they gave you a stupid warning in the load screens, and they added pointless red light district circles around every flame. You can't possibly have a bad enough computer or connection that prevents you from seeing this unless you're running an old Macintosh on AOL Dialup. There's not been any good excuse for failure in Cataclysm other than family issues, such as crying babies and sick dogs. It's taken a toll on my wallet to learn this. I've beaten the game long ago. I'm just playing horrible DLC now.

I had fun playing the game, I really did. It gave me something to do when I had nothing. I'm not very social, so I don't get out often and chat it up at parties or social gatherings. I'm reclusive, and I've been that way since early middle school. The game helped me get over most of my social anxiety, so I have that much to thank it for. I've met some good people, and I won't forget the lessons they've taught me over the years. I've met proverbial brothers and sisters in this game. I'm more confident about myself thanks to it. I'm going to let it end like that, before the game gets any worse. The game is over. I'm hanging up my raiding gear and leaving Warcraft for good. It's already a challenge to delete the game from the computer, due to nostalgia, but it will not load up again.

There is praise to be had with Petopia, however. You guys have given me a ton of fun with my hunter; my original character. I found many fun pets, glitches, and history (real history, even) while playing my hunter. I've learned to enjoy strange aspects of old cultures. Thank you Petopia for the fun you've given me with my hunter. That is an experience that can't be replicated, and never will be.

Thank you all for the good experience. May your hunts always be profitable. Kikanu, out.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Lost my will to play. Game over man, game over.

Unread post by Rhyela »

More or less all of a sudden, I started feeling the same way, too. WoW started out as a fun fantasy MMO and actually was tough IMO (I miss the 40-man raids, call me masochistic). Or, at least tougher than it is now. I was just thinking about this the other day, though, and I honestly can say I hate all the pop culture references in the game. They seem to be tossing in more and more. I want to play a fantasy game to escape all that crap, not have it thrown at me some more.

WoW was fun for a while, but I have absolutely zero desire to play MoP. I wanted to try it, I wanted to come back, but the more I read about MoP, the more I find myself not wanting anything to do with it. :(

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Well said Kikanu, I liked your points, this dissenting opinion was really well written I believe.

Stupid druid made out of fire. I'm glad I was able to kill him heroically and take his fancy druid staff :)

I simply miss the 25 mans that aren't in Raid Finder. I really liked how if I liked a raid enough, I could do both 25 man and 10 man content. I loved how WOTLK had them broken up and I was a bit annoyed when they changed it to "share a lockout".

It is just annoying that for most people there is really no point in trying to gather 25 people together for a raid, since the exact same gear drops in 10 man. I think with cross-realm raiding with Realid/battletag is a big improvement. Places like openraid.us has been a great tool to help find me my 25 man fix since I do not believe there is a single 25 man later night raiding guild (when I can play) on my server.

I'm one of those players though that likes easier content to play around with though.

Good luck to ye' in the future. May you find something challenging.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Rhyela wrote:More or less all of a sudden, I started feeling the same way, too. WoW started out as a fun fantasy MMO and actually was tough IMO (I miss the 40-man raids, call me masochistic). Or, at least tougher than it is now. I was just thinking about this the other day, though, and I honestly can say I hate all the pop culture references in the game. They seem to be tossing in more and more. I want to play a fantasy game to escape all that crap, not have it thrown at me some more.

WoW was fun for a while, but I have absolutely zero desire to play MoP. I wanted to try it, I wanted to come back, but the more I read about MoP, the more I find myself not wanting anything to do with it. :(
Try Gw2 xD :lol: On topic - OP you are absolutely right. Thats why I quit WoW.

Rottingham
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin; Illidan

Unread post by Rottingham »

I quit WoW because pallid seemed overpowered to me and it seemed very repetitive to me... I'm done until GW2 comes out. Vulpixen, I shall see you in the lands of Guild Wars!

Rottingham, Troll Hunter in the Petopians Guild

Check me out on youtube!

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Rottingham wrote:I quit WoW because pallid seemed overpowered to me and it seemed very repetitive to me... I'm done until GW2 comes out. Vulpixen, I shall see you in the lands of Guild Wars!
Yay! Play on my server and be my friend! xD!!

Edanna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bored of all gaming, what else is new XD

Unread post by Edanna »

I'm sorry to hear that, I haven't had much of a mood for wow lately either but I don't feel like quitting it because there are several things I like to do on it when I'm bored and my recent luck with 10 rares has made me feel like been on so that I can bond with my new pets, either that or I will role play or help lowbies on my 80 twink (dungeons).

I don't know I've been bored to death many times, not played for days on end but I've never had the feeling to quit, I guess I've just been playing so long that I want to play till the end.

Guess that's just how I roll :P