[Stampede] question

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

[Stampede] question

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Since I recently learned the ability [Stampede] I have been using it on and off.
The reason I say "on and off" is that it seems that when I do cast it, the 5 pets will kill the mob, and then run off in some random direction attacking anything else in sight.

Is this supposed to happen?

My pet is on assist (all of them are), but this happens when I specifically target then kill a single mob. I haven't targeted a new mob, yet my pets run off on a killing spree.

Have I gone and tamed a bunch of homicidal versions of these hunter pets?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: [Stampede] question

Unread post by Makoes »

I've noticed mine doing the same thing. Not sure if its an intended feature or not, have you reported it in-game as a possible bug?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

You should be able to control them like you would with your normal pet. I've noticed when they start to run off, that I can tell them to attack a single target. Then again, I have my pet attack key binded as well.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Mine do that all the time. I click passive before I take them out because if I use stampede on a single target that goes down quickly they all rush on a murderous rampage and then disappear, leaving my one pet to deal with their mess. ;)
Magli
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Magli »

I've added /petpassive and /petautocastoff growl to my 'dismiss pet' macro in order to avoid these sorts of situations. It also helps keep my tanks happy in raids and heroics.

I then have a macro with /petdefensive and /petautocast on that I hit once I leave the instance and need my pet to hold aggro for me.

Does anybody know if there's a command to change your pet's spec? It'd be great if the macros would toggle between ferocity and tenacity too.

Thanks to Kurenio for the signature!

It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I've seen it happen as well-which is why I hold stampede in reserve generally for when I am dealing with large pulls or bosses, its not something I use in my day to day questing.

I think it is intentional-because if you think about it, you don't control a stampede of animals, they keep running till they stop on their own. I figure blizzard put that in there so that they are not something we are using on every cooldown but rather selectively.

Magli I am intrigued by you macros-what exactly do they do?
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I've had the same problem. I thought maybe it was because I had my pets on assist, so I brought each one out and put them all on passive with growl off and it still happened. So now I just use it when I pull too many mobs (3 or more, and Stampede will be finished before the last mob dies) or when I'm fighting a boss-type. I haven't been in an instance yet this expansion (besides Headless Horseman), but I probably won't be using the ability on trash just for safety reasons.
Schlager
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Undermine

Unread post by Schlager »

Yeah it's a pain in dungeons, outdoors I'll just dismiss/feign and be fine. I've also seen pets run back to me after Stampede even when there are other mobs on the tank.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I've found that my Dire Beast summoned pet tends to release from a fight and run back to me if my main pet uses any sort of stun effect on the mob we're fighting.

My crane pet has a sort of brief stun/sleep effect that it uses, which is great... but if I've just summoned a Dire Beast it will run back to me, ignoring the fight.

There seem to be a lot of aggro issues with pets this expac.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I think it's an issue with pet/guardian AI in general. Last night I was doing some of the Krasarang quests to kill a bunch of Mogu, get plants, and such. An Alliance hunter was there, too. With plenty of Mogu in the ruins, we weren't competing or going after the same targets. I noticed that more than once, both the Pandaran NPC who was accompany and my Dire Beast would run off to attack a Mogu that the other hunter's pet was fighting.

At first, I assumed that the Mogu had used some AOE or something. Then I stopped for a minute to type a response to a question from a friend. While standing there, both my regular pet and the NPC just spontaneously ran off across the courtyard to go after a Mogu the other hunter was killing.
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

Same problem here, too. It actually did that in a heroic and pulled a completely unnecessary mob! Luckily nobody minded much but still- that was no fun.
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I think we have the aggro stance back... in a weird way. I also notice that sometimes all my stampede pets growl although I have growl turned of on each of them before the dungeon starts. I use the glyph so only my current pet will appear and thought maybe it was affected by my other pets and turned off growl on them, but still: sometimes stampede pets growl, sometimes they don't. I found other hunters telling me the same. Seems to be a bug, but it's very annoying if your stampede pets grab aggro of the tank. I always feel so sorry although I can't help it :(

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

Mine too run off to attack something random after killing the initiate target. The growl thing though, that could be intentional? Thinking army of the dead.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I've had a couple tanks complain that the Stampede pets are pulling aggro from them. I simply tell them there isn't anything I can do, and it only last for 20 seconds..
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Miyon wrote:Mine too run off to attack something random after killing the initiate target. The growl thing though, that could be intentional? Thinking army of the dead.
If Growl is on autocast on the summoned pet, it'll cast it. In the case of the glyph, if the 'source' pet has Growl on autocast, all the copies will as well. At least, that's the intent--I'm hoping that's not bugged.

That said, the buggers almost cost me Silent Assassin when they hared off after killing the Swarmlord--thankfully they disappeared about the time I panicked and feigned.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!