Fishing.

Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Fishing.

Unread post by Derax »

I made a post on the WoW Forums about improving fishing, Just wondering what all your opinions are on it..

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004343662

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Fishing.

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I think of fishing as more peaceful than boring :)
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm sorry, but.. no.

If fishing changed my action bad in any way, it would make fishing more dangerous, and thus considerably less appealing.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I already find fishing boring and tedious.

But you want to make it more tedious by making us actually click multiple buttons? -.-
Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

Sukurachi wrote:I'm sorry, but.. no.

If fishing changed my action bad in any way, it would make fishing more dangerous, and thus considerably less appealing.
It wouldn't change your action bar in any way, You would just get a extra action button like on ysera's platform in DS or Gara in Vaults or on Ultraxion.
Myzou wrote:I already find fishing boring and tedious.

But you want to make it more tedious by making us actually click multiple buttons? -.-
That's the thing thing you would have to pay slightly more attention but if they made it how I suggested then you wouldn't catch junk fish anymore, instead of waiting around for 20 or so seconds for a bite it would only take half that, The fishing skill gear would allow you to catch up to triple the amount of fish per cast. So it would be 3x as fast as it is now.

It would actually be only 1 button that changes depending on if you are about to casting , "catching" a fish or reeling on in. Same button just changes.

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Except I don't want to be sitting there playing a mini game while fishing. I play it when I want to relax on the game.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

It doesn't need all that extra interaction. What would be nice is an added animation showing you bringing in the catch after clicking the bobber to hook it.
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Myzou wrote:I already find fishing boring and tedious.

This. It's already a PITA to level and do without it being given extra interactions or being turned into a mini-game. If anything, I'd prefer they make it less interactive by giving fishing a standard 15 second channeling time, and at the end of it, you see what you catch in a loot window without having to click the damn bobber. Watching that bobber and waiting for it to "tug" is the most annoying part of fishing in WoW for me, especially lately when it tugs with 1/2 a second of fishing left and I end up missing the click because of lag or something else stupid. I doubt this idea would ever happen since it would essentially make it too "BOT Friendly", but I still would rather have it or leave Fishing unchanged over making things even more "interactive".
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Danielfboone wrote:It doesn't need all that extra interaction. What would be nice is an added animation showing you bringing in the catch after clicking the bobber to hook it.
I wouldn't mind the minigame but at the same time, I would. Depends on my mood. But I do want that extra animation.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

I think fishing needs improving but not like this. It needs to be faster and more rewarding, not feel like another game within a game that already has numerous mini games in it.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Fishing is very very boring to me... thats why i only do dailyes with the Anglers which doenst require me to fish and the moment im exalted im buying those books.

Part of the game that i hate alot but some ppl love it so i dont mind letting it be since i can "shortcut" my way to fishing

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I'm one of the few that actually likes fishing. I zone out, look at the scenery, click the bobber. Its peaceful and relaxing, unless a tiger randomly jumps you. The only change I would make is that you occasionally hook a sea monster. I like what they did that was similar with Pandarian archaeology. When doing a Pandaren dig, sometimes an angry sha comes out of the artifact you dig up. Not often, but just enough to make it a bit more engaging. The occasional sea monster (that better drop fish or at least something interesting) would be fun.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

it would HAVE to drop something! or I'd be really annoyed.
the "angry sha" thing in archeology at least drops extra archeology pieces. (which was a nice surprise)

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I say go the middle ground.
Don't CHANGE the way it is, just ADD more stuff.

Still keep the simple 1-click cast and 1-click reel system, but add...

Rare (Mob) Catches!
I really liked the new additions with archaeology, where occasionally a sha pops out of the ancient artifact. This should be the same way for fishing, as well. Rarely, a mob should pop up out of the water after you click the bobber, with just enough health missing from it to be tagged to you only. It can't get aggroed to anything else other than you, and if you forcibly drop aggro via Feign Death or Vanish or running away too far, it will despawn, so no one else can get it. Successfully killing the creature would get you a variety of things.

"Lesser" Rare Catches
These would generally just be larger fish. There are, what, 5 different "fish" models in game? These would be more common than some of the rarer catches and drop:

A Green-quality equippable fish, with a unique look, that can be wielded AND sells for a high (80-200+) amount of gold.
Smaller regular fish that it had eaten before you caught it.
A random junk item.

"Greater" Rare Catches
These would probably be more unique catches. Some might have special abilities, and they could even scale to be one or two levels below you. They'd drop:

A larger amount of cookable fish that would normally be caught in that zone.
Perhaps a bit of gold.
A chance of a small vanity item with a high (80-200+) sell price.
A companion! Maybe a small turtle/crocolisk/crab/eel in a magic bubble/fish in a magic bubble/worm/shark!
Ready-to-eat food. (Preferably that fits the creature you've killed, such as [Giant Ray Steak] or the like.)

In lower level "wetland/swamp" zones, a tameable snapping turtle with something like Image look would not only make a higher-level skin available to lower level hunters, but provide some variety in species! It would be like you really caught something special. Of course, non-hunters and those not wishing to tame it would just kill it as normal.

Along the coasts of certain zones, some sort of eel Image could be rarely caught. It'd have some sort of nasty bleed attack.

Pandaria zones near rivers could yield a Image Furious Waterstrider, perhaps with a matching companion drop.

"Greatest" Rare Catches.
Well, now you've done it. You've caught the monstrous [monster] of [zone.] These would be extremely rare finds, a little more common than the Sea Turtle's drop rate (which is 1/10000, so let's say 1/7000.) These creatures would be elite, scale to two levels above you, and have special strategies involved with killing them!

If you guys like this idea, feel free to give me your suggestions on abilities and strategies, but here's one I'll throw out as an example.

Ancient Crawler

As you click the fishing bobber, expecting another junk item, a huge rumble shakes your screen. A gigantic shape bursts out of the water and thunders onto the shore. You've hooked the antenna of some slumbering leviathan, centuries old! The beast shakes layers of barnacles and kelp off its rock-hard carapace and looks around before focusing its beady eyes on you, its wakener. It roars in displeasure, clacks its massive claws, and begins to advance!

You'd probably fight this guy somewhat like the Emperor's Courage in Mogu'Shan Vaults, where he is immune to damage from the front. He'd use some sort of charge ability, which you would have to dodge, and then do as much damage to him as you can before he turns around again. There would be some kind of knockback ability, and maybe he could hurl giant chunks of rock at you.

Now, you might be wondering, what do you get for bringing down a huge rare catch? Here's the answer.

A special buff increasing [useful stat] by [amount] and increasing fishing by 50. Lasts for 2 hours.
Lots and lots of regular fish and ready-to-eat food. [Skewered Crawler Leg], as an example of the food that would drop.
Tons of random junk items. Obviously the ones with higher vendor prices would be preferable.
A decent amount of pure gold.
And perhaps a companion or mount, depending on the creature.

I think that these additions would not only make fishing a lot more exciting and rewarding, but it would encourage more people to fish. If there's always a possibility of fishing up something amazing, not just a world-zone drop with a horrendous rate, it would be way more interesting.

Let me know what you think!
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

i like Equeon's take on spicing fishing up..

For fishing, for me, i tab out while i fish and tab back in when i hear the bobber so for it to become an interactable game, id be less likley to fish anymore then i absolutely need to (so, fishing for the turtle mount or the sewer rat or the dalaran coins would be out of the question as a result). I like to multi task between the game and other things but thats hard unless your doing profession related stuff so mass production of goods and fishing or putting my character on auto pilot via taxi or flying mount is generally the only way i get internet time when im on the game :lol:

I would love for the wait time to be shorter and not have the fish always, ALWAYS fricking bite the bobber within the final few milliseconds. Seriously, ever since MoP i am finding im missing 60-70% of all my casts because they bite the bobber as the bar dissapears. Even when i manage to click on the bobber before the bar vanishes, i dont get a loot window or an error message, it gives me absolutely nothing and i gotta recast like another 5 more times before i can get a bite while the bar still has green in it to get anything.

The idea for the fishing minigame tho is an interesting concept, and it would be great to have it as an optional game located at certian places within the world (maybe in capital cities within azeroth, one in shatt, and one in dal) but i wouldnt want it to be something added to the existing fishing system :)

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I like fishing the way it is XD
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Tårnfalk wrote:Fishing is very very boring to me... thats why i only do dailyes with the Anglers which doenst require me to fish and the moment im exalted im buying those books.
You're going to need to fish up a ton of Flying Tiger Gourami, Mimic Octopus, or Spinefish Alpha to get that book. Nat's Fishing Journal and his Hat are on a separate "friendship" faction where you need to reach a certain friendship level with Nat Pagle before he'll sell you the book, similar to the friendships you have with individual farmers in Valley of the Four Winds. Those 3 fish are currently the only way to raise said friendship.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

wait wait wait... the sea turtle mount is 1 in 10,000??????

oh my god, please don't hate me.
2nd cast last night, the turtle mount dropped for me while doing Krasarang fishing daily.

it's a CUTE little sucker! I particularly like its "/mountspecial".

"Step on no pets!"

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

oooh...Equeon! I love that idea!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

Sukurachi wrote:wait wait wait... the sea turtle mount is 1 in 10,000??????

oh my god, please don't hate me.
2nd cast last night, the turtle mount dropped for me while doing Krasarang fishing daily.

it's a CUTE little sucker! I particularly like its "/mountspecial".
HAAAAAAAAAAATE

Jk gratz lol. (been in charge of the fish feasts for the guild since before the turtle was put in game :cry: )

Also Equeon that sounds cool.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!