Soloing Warbringers: Share your strategies

Miacoda
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Soloing Warbringers: Share your strategies

Unread post by Miacoda »

So I figure it'd be a good idea to have a thread where we put down Warbringer soloing strategies. This can be for any class, any spec, and any strat that works for you! :)

This strategy is for Beast Mastery Hunters

Glyphs you'll need:
Glyph of Animal Bond
Glyph of Mending

Talents you'll need:
Spirit Bond
Silencing Shot
Glaive Toss

Pet of Choice: Turtle (bear MIGHT work but I have not tried it due to lack of bear).

Alright, so I start off with right clicking my pet and hitting Set Focus for an easy view of Mend Pet. Then I cast mend pet and keep it up at all times. But definitely Mend Pet before you shoot anything because the first hit could really hurt. I then send my pet in and just DPS (at the max range you can use Mend Pet at, usually spirit will despawn before you get to them but if not you can scoot to the side a bit if need be) away but I save Bestial Wrath and Stampede. These two abilities are very important. Bestial Wrath I save for the cases when I don't get a fear interrupted (if the Warbringer doesn't fear feel free to use it whenever). You can also cast Concussive Shot if a fear does go off and Bestial Wrath is on cooldown to slow the Warbringer down and give your pet some time to heal up to full. What happens if your pet dies? Well this is what Stampede is for. Try to have growl on at least one of your other pets or all of them if you want and they'll draw the Warbringers attention long enough for you to resurrect your pet. What if your pet dies again and Stampede is on cooldown? Disengage, Deterrence, and hope the rez gets off in time. Though I usually don't have too much trouble. Another thing! Use Intimidation whenever possible or when your pet gets low on health. It's a great way to give them a break. Oh, and for scarabs, I normally just let them come to me (I keep Thunderstomp toggled OFF so that my pet does not take extra damage by adds) and put down an Explosive Trap and throw out Glaive Toss. The most important thing though is to always keep Mend Pet up and keep the Warbringer close to it's spawn location so it does not reset.

Hopefully that's everything. I'm not sure how well this works with lower geared hunters (Mia's gear is pretty geared) but it's been really successful for me. I'm such a horrible kiter, heh.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask! I hope I covered everything!

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Soloing Warbringers: Share your strategies

Unread post by Kalliope »

http://thegrumpyelf.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... couts.html

This blog post helped me loads, though I do a lot more aggro trading myself. It's excellent kiting practice.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I tried one today with a tank turtle and all those talents plus Exhilaration. I lasted all of maybe 30 seconds twice in a row. It's just not possible for me.
Miacoda

Unread post by Miacoda »

Danielfboone wrote:I tried one today with a tank turtle and all those talents plus Exhilaration. I lasted all of maybe 30 seconds twice in a row. It's just not possible for me.
I've found that Exhilaration is absolutely worthless for my strategy. Spirit Bond really boosts healing for your pet and yourself.
Checking your armory, you have the gear to do this, you can do this, you just need the right tools and the right attitude! :) Be positive!
And it'll take a little bit a practice. I by no means got it on the first go. ^^

AKA TheDoomcookie

Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

Honestly, for the Warbringers, I find Binding Shot to be better than silencing shot. Drop it on it, then use distracting shot, gives a good opportunity to heal your pet up. x3

Oh also, binding shot is a troll to the scarabs and ghost o:

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

This is my basic strat as Surv. I'm a terrible kiter btw, so this is why I have a strange set up to do this.

First off, I have my #2 primary action bar set up to do nothing but Warbringers. The most important abilities there are:
- MD to pet macroed
- Concussive Shot
- Multi-shot (for scarabs, if any)

My pet (any pet, doesn't matter, it won't be attacking) is set up as follows:
- Passive stance
- Growl on
- Thunderstomp or any AoE abilities, off

All I do the entire fight is run away with the pet, while I MD to it and Concussive to slow the guy down. That's it. DPS doesn't really matter, you just have to stay alive.

(The reason I have the pet keep aggro instead of just kiting it myself is because of the fear. Growl is on in case I get aggro and can't get it off, in which case I send in the pet for just 1 second, then put it back in Passive.)
Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

I have a snake out on passive and hit the buff when its about to fall off. Then I just spam conc shot off of cd and kite in a circle. Works for me as surv.

I also have Exhilaration in case I get stuck and get hit

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Besides what Mia already recommended:

Optional Glyphs:
Glyph of liberation
Glyph of stampede

Optional Talents:
Poste haste
Exhilaration. (I prefer it for self heals and pet heals when I get the rare down to 20% but that’s just me.)

I do the same thing as Miacoda on my BM hunter with some minor changes. Here are some details on what I did, along with some tips for killing each rare depending on the zone.
I keep my pet on PASSIVE and use a very bland rotation of concussive shot, dire beast and "Arcane Shot! Need more Arcane Shot! Oh god its after me!" *ahem* And then concussive shot again as soon as it’s off cool down. The idea is for YOU to be the one holding aggro and just kite him.

For fears:
Save Cds for this. When he fears, pop CDs (not stampede) keep mend pet rolling and let him have it. You have about twelve seconds to nuke himbefore your pet is in trouble. Switch pet back on passive and shoot a few distracting shots to gain aggro again. Also, even though your character is being cc’d your pet can still be given commands so you can still click your pet’s attack button and he will taunt off of you. You should be keeping an eye on your pet’s shell shield timer while he is in combat. As soon as you see him use it you should start to “taunt” off of him.

Scarabs.
I found that posthaste+ the liberation glyph is great here. If you really need to, you can send your pet in to taunt the boss and multi shot the adds down if too many spawn. The biggest problem I have had with these guys is just finding a safe place to aoe them without pulling more mobs.

Need heals?
If you get hit or your pet looks like its about to go down, don’t hesitate to use last stand, exhilaration or deterrence. It’s going to be a long fight and the cooldown will reset more than once.

I hope that helps with anyone having issues keeping their pet alive. The trick is just learning how to Ping-Pong the rare between the two of you.

HOW TO KILL BY ZONE

Kun Lai
The hardest part for me is not the rare, but the ground he stands on. I highly recommend you do your practice runs in Kun Lai since it is one of the best kiting zones. When facing the boss, there will be a small hill to your right with a rock in the middle of it. You can kite him here if want. Also right behind you and just off to your left there is a Yack wash. The whole area is more or less one big oval devoid of dangerous mobs. Just kite your warbringer around the yack wash and make sure to keep an eye on the rocks behind the buildings so you don’t trap yourself.
Avoid wide turns, seriously, hug that building. I don’t mean hug it like “hay we are friends,” I mean hug it like “creepy stranger won’t let go and keeps smelling your hair.” It may feel like he’s closing in on you during your turns but if you panic and shoot off in a wide turn, you will aggro something else and get stunned.

WILDS
This is the second easiest one in my book. You can either pull him off to the small island with a big rock in the middle- located behind the sky screamer. (Warning, you will have to swim a little bit.) Or you can pull it off to the island on the same side as that tree trunk. This island is big and almost empty. You may pull a few neutral mobs or crockasilisks due to aoes but its otherwise empty and wide open. Just look behind you before you turn! There is a massive pack of hostile mobs in the middle of the island and if you’re not paying attention you can walk right into them.

DREAD
This is an eye for an eye kind of thing. On the up side you have the klaxxi buffs, on the down side you will aggro other mobs. If you’re lucky and the warbringers can’t summon scarabs, this should be easy. If not, you may want to clear some of the mobs off to your left. (Or what your left would be if you were standing in the water and looking at the warbringer.) Stay close to the shoreline, there should be two big rocks on your left sticking out of the ground. Be aware of your surroundings and kite him in a figure eight between these two rocks.

TOWN
Now things are getting tougher. The scouts here are almost always up and they travel down both paths. Choose the path without any mantid on it and just start kiting backwards. Keep an eye on your mini map for warscouts and pull your warbringer off the road and into the trees among the neutral mobs if you see one.
Once the road starts to bend, have your pet taunt off of you so you can run behind your rare and begin kiting back towards the spawn point. There are tons of mantid at the end of that road so you have to just keep weaving back and forth in your safe spot.

JADE
This is probably the worst one and you can expect a few deaths and buggy resets. Now obviously you can try and find a safer place to kite him and I know there has to be a safer one so take this next paragraph with a grain of salt.
See Tian Monastary and the big bridge with the bell? That is where you are kiting. Start by making sure there are no scouts behind you and then pull your rare alongside the stream. Make sure not to get caught in the trees. There are going to be hostel mobs but most of them are fighting sprites. When you see these mobs, lead the warbringer to the water’s edge and disengage to the other side. Try not to get stuck on the rocks. Be aware that sometimes he will bug out and you will need to kite him again.
Once you’re out of the water, kite him upstream. (Don’t get stuck on the fallen log!) Start kiting past the jade mines. The entrance to the monastery is a steep incline and it looks like you can’t scale it but you can. You may want to scout things out beforehand so you know where to go.
There is a more level stairway off to the side- don’t take it. The LoS on the stairs can kill you so just opt to scale the mountain.
Move your Warbringer through the town and out the back entrance. If you look on your map you should see a long pathway leading out of the monastery and up to the bridge with the giant bell. Pull him onto this road and just kite back and forth until he dies. This path is perfect, there are no mobs to worry about, few players who would give you trouble and everything is one fairly even, straight line.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I didn't think these could be successfully pet tanked right now. I assume you are using Cower and Shield liberally?

Edit: I just did it as SV. I know BM gives you Bestial Wrath and Intimidation, but I am terrible at BM lol. Do tenacity pets take less dmg per melee as BM? Mine was getting melee'd for ~90k with mend pet only ticking for 37,789 (my ilvl is 494). I had to keep cower and shell shield up in rotation, and several times had to taunt so my pet could heal up a little. I know the Intimidation stun will help but with a minute cd and it only being 3 second stun, I cant seeing this as make or break. I would also use scatter to give some healing breather.

I don't need a pet to kite kill, and if pet tanking ends up killing the pet and I am unable to get enough distance to rez, then I am still OK. Its doable, but it feels like a losing battle overall?
Kalliope

That's why I do a lot of aggro bouncing, Quiv, even with my glyph setup like in that post I linked. I'm rolling as marks, so I have some self-healing too.

Pure kiting (which I've done as well) takes a LOT longer and can be a lot riskier. Sometimes I feel like a clown with all the pet resing I have to do, but ultimately, as long as the warbringer dies and I don't, it's a win.

YouTube Edition

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

And theres nothing quite as irritating as seeing these things bug out and reset.

Well thanks Mia for the extra push, I know now I can pet tank these. I had tried earlier but once I saw the damage output verses healing, I didn't think much of it and resorted to my tried and true kiting. Now the only kiting I do is to move the warbringer from his spawn point so nobody finds me and I can slaughter in peace.
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

well my strategy is pretty much surv and kiting away. i have silence shot, trill og the hunt and animal bond/iron hawk doesnt really matter and glaive toss
when somehow a fear gets of I use pet growl and spam deterrence to make sure I dont die and nabb as much distance as I got then I conc shot and pull the pet back asap. i use frost trap and snake trap when i have time to stun and slow even more.

when I have the scarabs I hit multishot and then glaive straight after it so that I hit all the scarabs to the boss there pretty much dead instantly.
The spirit thing when it spawns I pull pet back slow boss and just kite it for a couple of seconds before I send my pet back in.

Per zone:

Jade forest pretty much kiting around the tree. or pulling it in to the forest if I have the feeling a lot of people are around.

Krasang: I tend to kite it in to the woods away from the spawn points and then kite in a circle.

Dreadwaste: I have the speedkings buff and the angel of death buffs on. speed kings is awesome (doouble jump and speed running buff.). I kite the boss away from the spawn point towards the rock where you found the tiny kuchong and just kite around in a cirle there.

Townlong: I just kite up the hill and then kite around the tower there.

Kunlai: when you have your back to the ravine i kite him along the ledge to the right theres a big open space with one tiger there and you can kite it around in circles.

ill see if I can snatch some pictures.
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

I prefer to solo them with pure kiting. Specced BM since that's what I play best, and with a Cunning Spirit Beast on passive to aid me. (Cunning for the 30% speed boost, makes it so much easier to control where I want my pet to be, so he doesn't get killed by the spirits.) It's far from being the optimal way, but I've been able to solo kill a lot of the Warbringers - even the ones in Kun-Lai and Jade Forest. If I happen to get an add on me, I can just Misdirect it onto my pet and let him handle it while I continue the kiting. (Having him on passive ensures he'll attack a single target until it's dead, instead of attacking whatever I'm on at the time.)

- I've specced for Silencing Shot so I can interrupt their Fear, and only use Bestial Wrath when I fail to interrupt it.
- When they summon a spirit, I recall my pet for a brief moment to avoid having him killed.

I prefer not to kite the Warbringers too far away from their spawn, in fear of having it reset. Most, if not all of the spawn points have a fairly open area to kite in nearby.

In Jade Forest, I do a loop over at the hill right next to the spawn, then take the Warbringer around a tree (he sometimes manages to get a single hit through there, but it's nothing I can't handle) and back again. Just have to be careful not to use aoe when near the neutral mobs.

In Kun-Lai, I do laps around the big stone a short way from the spawn. There's a single eagle that will aggro on me there, but my pet takes care of it easily. There's also a pack of Mushan that path through there every now and then, but they're neutral and as such easy to avoid.

Krasarang Wilds is by far the easiest. I like to take the Warbringer to a nearby island due south from the spawn - the one with the hill on it.

Dread Wastes is probably the toughest, with some Saurok and even an elite Giant patrolling nearby. Sadly I haven't had a chance to entirely solo a Warbringer at this spot, so can't really say anything worthwile about it right now.

Finally, Townlong Steppes. Although I haven't soloed a Warbringer here either, there's plenty of room to do some kiting. Just as in Jade Forest, there's just some neutral mobs hanging around there.
Miacoda

Unread post by Miacoda »

So glad to see all of this information! Hopefully this will really help people who are having trouble. <3

AKA TheDoomcookie

Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

I actually found it easy for any spce and pet as long as you keep your pet passive and keep at a far distance. You can out range the fears too and if you ever find yourself in a bad spot, let your pet growl once then passive again and get out of there. I'd like to add more but I may just be repeating what has been said in this thread already. Spiders/Silithid are nice too by the way.
Miacoda

Unread post by Miacoda »

Oh, I'll just add that when I was kiting them I used a crocolisk for their extra slow.

AKA TheDoomcookie

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Golden wrote:Dread Wastes is probably the toughest, with some Saurok and even an elite Giant patrolling nearby. Sadly I haven't had a chance to entirely solo a Warbringer at this spot, so can't really say anything worthwile about it right now.
For me this is the easiest location. Instead of kiting into the water, kite on the path behind where the Warbringer spawns. Use the Klaxxi "master of puppets" ability to MC any pathing mobs that get in your way.

Jade Forest is the hardest IMO just because there's a lot of places you can get stuck at - trees, rocks, etc. I've fallen off the cliff edge more than once already.
Kalliope

peanutbuttercup wrote:Jade Forest is the hardest IMO just because there's a lot of places you can get stuck at - trees, rocks, etc. I've fallen off the cliff edge more than once already.
Agreed - that's the only location I haven't soloed one yet. (Mostly due to people turning up before I could succeed.)

YouTube Edition

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Qinni wrote:I actually found it easy for any spce and pet as long as you keep your pet passive and keep at a far distance. You can out range the fears too and if you ever find yourself in a bad spot, let your pet growl once then passive again and get out of there. I'd like to add more but I may just be repeating what has been said in this thread already. Spiders/Silithid are nice too by the way.
That's a good point, though I wouldn't risk trying to outrange the fear, as the Warbringer might end up resetting.

Also I'd just like to point out that if you use roots, it's best to be careful not to have your pet attacking the Warbringer while it's rooted, since it automatically attacks whatever is in range at that time, regardless of threat levels. Having Concussive Shot up at all times is enough for me, and if he gets too close, I can just Intimidate or Scatter Shot, or just plain old Deterrence and/or Disengage. I spec for Posthaste, so Disengage gives me a very nice speed boost. Just have to be careful not to Disengage off a cliff. XD
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin(US)

Unread post by Qinni »

Golden wrote:not to Disengage off a cliff. XD
Would you believe that I have done that a couple times?