Speculation: Wow's 6th Expansion Pack

Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Speculation: Wow's 6th Expansion Pack

Unread post by Lazurianis »

After MOP and the expansion after that, I have some speculation.
Now this is a HUGE jump, (possibly two or three years from this post) but I have recently been thinking:
I have a feeling we are going to need to revisit the Frozen Throne, because if you are not familiar with the lore,
There must always be a Lich King, and when the new Lich King takes the deceased ones place (IE: Arthas & Bolvar), it will be three years before the next one becomes active, and that if there is not a Lich King, the scourge will run rampant throughout Azeroth, destroying all life.
So doesn't that mean we will see another Scourge Invasion, and that we will have some form of interaction with Bolvar, whether that's Neutral or Hostile interaction?
Even though the runeblade Frostmourne was destroyed, and it's whereabouts remain unknown, I have a feeling it will also make a re-appearance, however, I have a feeling it will become a new legendary weapon, (because it was destroyed by Tirion, that means it's properties have also been destroyed), there for allowing players to possibly re-create the runeblade and use it to defeat Bolvar, or possibly another unknown threat? Which brings another problem, what has the Twilight Hammer been plotting since it's destruction of Deathwing & Cho'gall? Doesn't that mean we may see them again? Or what about the Burning Legion? After the fall of Illidan and Kil'jaeden, we haven't seen the Burning Legion or in fact, really many demons since Burning Crusade.
However, I do anticipate to see the Burning Legion & the scourge in this expansion pack.

Debate your ideas down below, I am interested in seeing what you guys are thinking after the next expansion, or even the expansion pack after Mists of Pandaria.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Speculation: Wow's 6th Expansion Pack

Unread post by Slickrock »

You have some interesting ideas there from a lore perspective, however, there are far too many other new tales to tell before we go back to Northrend.

The logical and most likely is that we'll be fighting the burning legion, since Wrathion gives us that nice show when we go talk to him.

We also still need to fight the Zandalari in their homeland one of these days.

The Emerald dream storyline was wrapped up in one of the books, so I doubt we'll see that.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I'm just hoping we'll get to do something with Azshara soon. She's such a huge part of lore, after all.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Slickrock

Another thought... since Wrathion has spent the whole expac gearing and testing us, it might be a bit odd for the "big threat" not to be in the new expac... Burning Legion is the most likely.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

We still have not seen the Makrura or Nagas capital cites yet.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Slickrock wrote:Another thought... since Wrathion has spent the whole expac gearing and testing us, it might be a bit odd for the "big threat" not to be in the new expac... Burning Legion is the most likely.
Ooooh, this gives me a lovely idea. Considering who Wrathion is, I feel like Azshara and the Old Gods would tie quite, quite nicely in with his own storyline...
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.

Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Thunderhorn

Unread post by Nevish »

What would be interesting is if we returned to Outland.

Wrathion could be reunited with Sabellian and the uncorrupted remnants of the Black Dragonflight. That way they can not only work on rebuilding their race, but also continue to provide neutral support. Unless Sabellian was forgotten by the devs...which tends to happen often with a lot of characters.

I'm cautiously pumped for the potential of...DRAENEI LORE. *THUNDEROUS CRACK*

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I would say it's almost certainly Legion related.

If you look back at previous xpacs, you can usually see (in retrospect) some of the new art and designs bleed through early, in the shape of mounts or gimmicks or whatever. This time there've been a number of Legion-related items pop up during an expansion that has nothing to do with them. The fel-drake and eye of the legion TCG items, for example. And then there's Wrathion giving a whole foreshadowing to the next Legion attack.

So unless they decide to drag out the foreshadowing and have a short xpac related to some other topic, or gearing up for the attack, I feel pretty confident it's the Legion.

And oh yes, new Draenei lore! About time. Velen deserves more recognition. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:I would say it's almost certainly Legion related.

If you look back at previous xpacs, you can usually see (in retrospect) some of the new art and designs bleed through early, in the shape of mounts or gimmicks or whatever. This time there've been a number of Legion-related items pop up during an expansion that has nothing to do with them. The fel-drake and eye of the legion TCG items, for example. And then there's Wrathion giving a whole foreshadowing to the next Legion attack.

So unless they decide to drag out the foreshadowing and have a short xpac related to some other topic, or gearing up for the attack, I feel pretty confident it's the Legion.

100% agreement from me, good sir! The Draenei deserve a little love. They've been practically forgotten.

I hope they update the BE and DR starting areas a bit.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Junrei wrote:
I hope they update the BE and DR starting areas a bit.
Oh, this. Please. I want Belf starting zones to be FILLED with "how do I deal with addiction?" and stuff! More of their culture, more of fear of turning into wretched (and, since there is at least one successful example, of turning people back into belves/high elves from wretched), and just... I want it to be stuffed full of lore! Please?
• Aela's Pet Journal

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I have the best idea. MURLOC INVASION! MURLOCS EVERYWHERE!

Like a zombie invasion but with Murlocs.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Junrei wrote:I hope they update the BE and DR starting areas a bit.
Hopefully they can use it as an excuse to finally join them to the main world, and add flying. Since BC is now free with the core game there's no reason to keep them separate, other than work required. :)
Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

Slickrock wrote:You have some interesting ideas there from a lore perspective, however, there are far too many other new tales to tell before we go back to Northrend.

The logical and most likely is that we'll be fighting the burning legion, since Wrathion gives us that nice show when we go talk to him.

We also still need to fight the Zandalari in their homeland one of these days.

The Emerald dream storyline was wrapped up in one of the books, so I doubt we'll see that.
I agree, it is unlikely for us to go back to Northrend, however, the idea remains in the air. The idea of the Scourge, especially the ones who are controlled by The Lich King, including his Death Knights, are mindless undead, that their will is bent to The Lich King's command, and that if we do not see Bolvar control the undead, than I can definitely see another Scourge Invasion, even if it isn't in the first part of the expansion pack.
I can for-see a Scourge Invasion in the near future, however, I doubt it will be at the very beginning of the expansion pack, as like you stated, there are many other stories that need to be unraveled, because we killed The Lich King in the final patch of WOLTK before Pre-Cataclysm, I have a feeling it is going to be the exact same situation in Bolvar when it is said he will become re-active.

And I agree that we will be fighting the Burning Legion, on another note, I have a feeling we will see Sargeras and the Titans once it is revealed the Burning Legion are invading again, probably under Sargeras' command this time.

I don't think we will see the Zandalari for a while, we may see them pop up every once and a while, but after the defeat of Lei-Shen and then we are dealing with Garrosh next patch, I have a feeling they are going to elect Rastakhan to re-surface on Zuldazar with their new army.

The Emerald Dream, I agree with you once again, that story was pretty much shrugged off after the announcement of the Escalation patch, guaranteeing that Garrosh will be overthrown, which brings up even more speculation as to who will be the new Warchief, I doubt Thrall will take the throne, Gamon is a possibility, but not likely. Although I have a feeling Blizzard won't reveal the new Warchief until after the first server-kill on Garrosh in Siege of Orgrimmar.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Slickrock

Wain wrote:I would say it's almost certainly Legion related.

Assuming it is the Burning Legion, there are certainly opportunities in that for some space goat lore. You could even have discord in the Alliance with the Draenei loyalty being called into question once things get hairy.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Slickrock wrote:The Emerald dream storyline was wrapped up in one of the books, so I doubt we'll see that.
Not quite. Direct quote from the end of that book:
"Then Malfurion recalled what still held sway over the Rift of Aln and grew troubled. It was not a threat that could be left untouched for long. The archdruid began pondering what they would have to do--"

Tyrande reminds him to enjoy that day of celebration before he started dealing with any other problems, but the Emerald Dream is still not completely secure, and that threat could be on the scale of a lich king or a rogue dragon aspect if they wanted it to be.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Agravaine wrote:
Slickrock wrote:The Emerald dream storyline was wrapped up in one of the books, so I doubt we'll see that.
Not quite. Direct quote from the end of that book:
"Then Malfurion recalled what still held sway over the Rift of Aln and grew troubled. It was not a threat that could be left untouched for long. The archdruid began pondering what they would have to do--"

Tyrande reminds him to enjoy that day of celebration before he started dealing with any other problems, but the Emerald Dream is still not completely secure, and that threat could be on the scale of a lich king or a rogue dragon aspect if they wanted it to be.
I think if is a very key word here. I would have liked an expansion centered around the Emerald Dream(which still may eventually come or it may not)but the current in game events make me lean much closer towards the Burning Legion side of things.

Nevish
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Thunderhorn

Unread post by Nevish »

Discord in draenei lore would be awesome. There's a ton of unresolved or ignored issues (bigotry against the Broken, the flight-versus-fight mentality), and of course, having to take on the corrupted members of their old race head-on. There is so much potential.

And I think we've seen everything there is to see of the Emerald Dream for right now. Unfortunately. It would've been nice for an expansion focused on druidism, the wilderness of Azeroth, and the Green Dragonflight (coughbestdragonflightcough). Blizzard's method of resolving loose ends in the game is to whack it with a book and hope the lore nerds are placated.

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Doctress wrote:I think if is a very key word here. I would have liked an expansion centered around the Emerald Dream(which still may eventually come or it may not)but the current in game events make me lean much closer towards the Burning Legion side of things.
Sure. They can do whatever if they like, and I'll take it in anyway.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Agravaine wrote:
Doctress wrote:I think if is a very key word here. I would have liked an expansion centered around the Emerald Dream(which still may eventually come or it may not)but the current in game events make me lean much closer towards the Burning Legion side of things.
Sure. They can do whatever if they like, and I'll take it in anyway.

/raise eyebrow.. Ooooook... I didn't say you wouldn't? I merely said they haven't discussed the Emerald Dream or hinted towards anything dealing with it. Half of the WoW population probably hasn't read the book Malfurion. They have an "Emerald Dream" zone in WoW but it is inaccessible and it was never finished sadly.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The Emerald Dream would be wonderful to see, and I'm sure they could always concoct new reasons to have to go there. I just have a gut feeling that if they add any then it'll be just part of an expansion, rather than the focus of an expansion, these days. Much like the elemental planes became in Cata.