GNOME HUNTERS!?!?!?

Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Re: GNOME HUNTERS!?!?!?

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Let's be frank, Warcraft books aren't supoosed to sell because they're great literature, they're supposed to sell because they're Warcraft books ;)

I think Golden is the top of the authors. I really enjoyed Artas, Tides... and others of hers. Knaak iritates me to no end, but there be dragons there, so I've got through it eventually. I found out that it helps to read WoW books as an easy and light interlude between two more mature and brain-engaging ones ;)

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Myrrmi wrote:Let's be frank, Warcraft books aren't supoosed to sell because they're great literature, they're supposed to sell because they're Warcraft books ;)

I think Golden is the top of the authors. I really enjoyed Artas, Tides... and others of hers. Knaak iritates me to no end, but there be dragons there, so I've got through it eventually. I found out that it helps to read WoW books as an easy and light interlude between two more mature and brain-engaging ones ;)
Yar. Golden is amaaaazing. Knaack is...meh. I mean it's good enough to read for the lore but he's not.....anything special.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Castile wrote:
Danielfboone wrote:This is why, to me, the only lore that matters is what is in game. I have never read any of the novels and don't intend to. Reading them seems to reduce the readers' appreciation of the game itself.
Interesting what you say about the books - if you haven't read them how do you know they reduce the readers appreciation? I only ask as i've read quite a few and if anything it makes me appreciate more things in the game knowing the backstories behind them.

"The Last Guardien" gave me a better understanding of Karazhan and the characters in it, "The Shattering" gave us the backstory of Anduin, Tuaren paladins and why Magni is in a crystal, "Tides of War" helped me to udnerstand Jaina and her rage towards the horde now (it is abit daft Rhonin is still in dalaran but I won't go into that) and currently "Dawn of the Aspects" is giving me a backstory to the origins of the Dragon aspects. I have no clue how in depth these things are explained in game but the books go into alot more detail than a questlog ever could.
I say it because I see so many people who have read the books complain about how the game doesn't follow the "lore". I've even seen some state that they left the game because of it. I see that as reduced appreciation for the game itself. If the books didn't exist, the in game lore would be much more acceptable to more people.

It's just like making novels into movies. The one you see first usually is your favorite and when you see the other, there are always complaints like "they changed this" or "they left this out". More times than not, the movies don't measure up to the books (especially the Steven King novels) but in my opinion, sometimes, they're better. I like some of the changes made in the Lord of the Rings movies such as the Elves coming to aid at Helm's Deep which doesn't happen in the book. I also liked how they made Gimli's character more engaging and personable than his dour personality in the novels. It's all a matter of personal preference of course but I think it's inescapable that the in game lore of WoW would be better received if there was nothing else to compare it to. For that reason, I will never read any of the novels.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

*shrug* I shouldn't have to read a novel to know what's happening in my game.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Kayb wrote:*shrug* I shouldn't have to read a novel to know what's happening in my game.
This is the big thing that really bothers me. The fact they wrapped up the whole Emerald Dream arc in a book will always tick me off. Character background stories can go into books, fine. Big plot events or explanations between expansions? Should be in game.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Well, I don't give a rat's patooty about book-lore, nor am I a stickler for lore detail in the game...
I think every race should have access to every class. period.

I hate that to play a Druid I have to choose either Troll or Tauren, two races I absolutely loathe.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Well... you could also play a night elf or a worgen!

*ducks*

I admit some of the combos don't make too much sense (night elf paladins? Gnome druids?) but classes like that have a lot of spiritual philosophy behind it. They are, basically, offshoots of religion.

Hunters, however, have more of a 'job'. They aren't followers of a god of hunting with churches or stone circles, they don't have mystic hunter rituals or anything. It's like 'warrior', where it's something you do rather than something spiritual. Hunters aren't even committed to protecting the land (like druids), see: undead hunters and goblin hunters. That's really the difference, I think, at least to me.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Nachtwulf wrote: *ducks*

If there were a Duck race I MIGHT play it!

http://www.elfwood.com/art/p/e/pekka/taistelusorsa.jpg

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Azunara wrote:
Kayb wrote:*shrug* I shouldn't have to read a novel to know what's happening in my game.
This is the big thing that really bothers me. The fact they wrapped up the whole Emerald Dream arc in a book will always tick me off. Character background stories can go into books, fine. Big plot events or explanations between expansions? Should be in game.
Oh I definitely agree there. That was actually one of the problems with Cataclysm. Almost every single big event was in a book.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Junrei wrote:
Azunara wrote:
Oh I definitely agree there. That was actually one of the problems with Cataclysm. Almost every single big event was in a book.
oh yes totally...I kept thinking all the way through the expansion if I hadn't of read the shattering beforehand I wouldn't know wtf was going on half the time! I don't even think they explain magni in the crystal very well in game at all!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

They (or some enterprising fans) should make machinima to explain key events. For example, just from doing the Theramore scenario (alliance), I had no idea that so many alliance lore characters were killed. For me, Theramore was just where you landed to go to Onyxia, and also a great dock for screenshots at various times of day. Then I read in some blog a partial list of those killed and how they had been lured there.

The Magni in stone thing could have been a machinima too. I guess, I don't really know much more than he was reading some magic spell from Ulduar or something. Maybe not entire books, but summaries of key background events would be great.

Unfortunately, this isn't something blizzard is probably going to pay employees to churn out, and there's not a big incentive for machinima makers to do it. Unless that was the theme of some contest blizzard held, haven't they done machinima contests before?

and to divert back on topic, there should be gnome hunters so they can be in those videos. Wielding Andurg's gun.
Myrrmi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: [EU] The Mealstron, Emerald Dream, Bloodhoof

Unread post by Myrrmi »

Xota wrote: Andurg's gun.
OMFG! :shock:
My dwarfette would kill many to get her hands on this baby, especially the 3rd variant. And then she'd kill many, many more with it :D

Growing Internet Dragons:
(> My DragonCave <|> My TaleofDragons <|> My MagiStream <|> My FlightRising <)
Please, CLICK so we don't run out of Internet Dragons to kill :)
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

that vid u posted, pretty muchly fake - gnomes eyes dont glow blue. looks like a private server dk wearing mail and a gun. private servs - any race any type of gear/items/ect so on. but i recon gnome hunters wont make wod, all ull c is the pet eating the gnome :P
Nanotrev
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar

Unread post by Nanotrev »

I emerge from lurking once more!

I would play a gnome hunter all day every day. I don't really see anything wrong with gnomes being hunters if goblins are allowed be hunters AND shamans. If there's one World of Warcraft playable race that is associated with the destruction of nature it's the goblins. I play one of those as well.

No shame.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Old thread when I was a gnome hunter for 1 hour (Toshley's Transporter made me so)

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5380

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing at all :)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

So.. um.. I MIGHT have gotten confirmation on gnome hunters coming...

Check for my Twitter traffic (@TheSlickrock), and you can see the convo. Bear in mind the 2 guys involved are story/writer types, so it might not be happening, and I could just be getting gently trolled by them.. but..
Account has been closed at user's request.
Cedric

Unread post by Cedric »

Ziroth wrote:that vid u posted, pretty muchly fake - gnomes eyes dont glow blue. looks like a private server dk wearing mail and a gun. private servs - any race any type of gear/items/ect so on. but i recon gnome hunters wont make wod, all ull c is the pet eating the gnome :P
I think that was done using some recording program with models. I don't know but it wasn't done on a server since the backgrounds are stills
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Slickrock wrote:So.. um.. I MIGHT have gotten confirmation on gnome hunters coming...

Check for my Twitter traffic (@TheSlickrock), and you can see the convo. Bear in mind the 2 guys involved are story/writer types, so it might not be happening, and I could just be getting gently trolled by them.. but..
If only they werent trolling, let us hope
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Royi wrote:
Slickrock wrote:So.. um.. I MIGHT have gotten confirmation on gnome hunters coming...

If only they werent trolling, let us hope
Indeed.. already thinking about gnome hunter names.. :D
Account has been closed at user's request.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Cautiously optimistic. Vague enough that I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.