6.1 PTR model tweaks [Image Heavy]

Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Re: 6.1 PTR model tweaks [Image Heavy]

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Since I only play male belfs I have to post my concern with them so far (I will be leaving feedback for them in that thread):

The space between their mouths and nose is way too small, making their chins look huge (it also makes it look like they're making a scrunchy duck face). The typical rule for facial proportions is the mouth should be equal distance between the nose and chin CORRECTION: 1/3 distance from nose, 2/3 distance from chin... fixing because I don't want to be giving out bad art advice. XD

He also looks more beefy than the live models, but that just could be caused by the new textures.

Last edited by Kalhoun on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Another screenshot to further show the weird mouth to chin ratio.

Looks like I'm not the only one to mention it on the thread, so I hope they tweak it.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yeah, it seems like before, the gap was a bit too large; now, it's a bit too small. I'm sure they'll work with it. :) Or at least, I think I'm sure. :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Bwahahahah! I was so excited to see these guys but as soon as i saw those male belf pictures I lost it. hey remind me of goldfish crackers. :lol:
Oh man lets hope they fix that asap.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I'm not worried yet because I know these are very much still WIPs; they certainly aren't terrible.. but they definitely need some work.

Biggest issue I have with females is they seem so expressionless/lifeless. But hopefully that'll be fixed when they work on the rigging and what-not. I can live with the slightly-bouncier run. It also seems like they're looking slightly down & to the right as opposed to straight forward like the old models. Tiny detail but it kinda bugs me ><

Also lots of stretching issues with some armor textures - some boots namely, as well as the arms on chest pieces. Eyeglow goes through eyepatch too .. I can look past that if I have to because no way am I getting rid of my eyepatch lol.

You can see what I mean by the face looking down here:

The original model holds her head high and proud. The new one looks.. depressed.
Last edited by Lupen202 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Aeladrine wrote:yeah if you don't get upset or freaked that's awesome but like. not all of us can just not get upset, especially when we're very attached to something.

i just came to give you before and afters of that hairstyle (befores are the "s-shape", btw), partially to keep anyone else from having the rude awakening i did on the ptr. i already left my feedback, and it was much calmer than my post on here (no surprise there, since this isn't the official forums).

i'll sit here w my anxiousness over a hairstyle i've used since the barbershop came around and be as upset as my emotions want me to be, thanks.
I play lots of blood elves too and I'm very attached to them. Getting upset when they said they're not finished is like yelling at an artist for not being finished painting a picture after they told you it wasn't done yet. It's not the best way to go about it and not healthy. Being concerned is fine, that's totally understandable. Letting your emotions take you is another. :) I'm just saying to relax a little and calmly leave feedback on the official forums and don't get yourself too worked up just yet. Now if the problems go live, there's a big issue there.

Oh my god...that duckface! Bahahahaha!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

(I'm sure everyone's well aware that these are a work in progress model. I don't see anyone getting overly upset in here so I don't think it's necessary to be constantly pointed out. Blizzard has asked for feedback and it's good to look at anything at this stage, even if it might be getting fixed or changed right away!)

My poor, poor Veph. I'm more disappointed by the female update than I was expecting, even though the Artcraft preview had me concerned.
Posture: The updated females now hold themselves at a slouch, with a constant head tilt and their hip thrown to one side. The original stance looked proud whereas the new one just looks...lazy and uninterested. And the new idle animation is rather terrifying, their necks look like they're about to snap.

Skin tones: The females seem to have lost quite a lot in their range of colours. The palest shade is no longer an ivory and is noticeably darker with reddish tones, whereas a lot of the dark skins now look lighter. The males don't seem to have this problem so I'm hoping it's an easy fix that'll come along in later stages, but it's rather off-putting at the moment.

Hair: Though overall the hairstyles are looking pretty good, there's a few specific ones that have issues (most noticeably the elaborate updo mentioned earlier in this thread, though I'm banking on that being a glitch of some sort hopefully), I also find hair colours are slightly off. The black looks a lot paler now than it used to. And for me personally, I'm not a fan of the revamp of Veph's hairstyle. It looks so messy and unkempt now, with jagged uneven bangs and a "poofier" look. The hairstyle always looked sleek and refined, with more of a Bettie Page vibe which is why I loved it. The human females still have a good version of it, but the new blood elf one gives off such a different vibe. :c

Face: And the worst offender, for me personally, is what they've done to the faces. I know we don't have all of the options for them yet, but as they are now I'm still not a fan of the direction they're going with the shape. They're far too elongated now, and the jaw is still suffering from the horseface look that was apparent in the Artcraft preview. I think the chin needs to be lifted and the gap between the mouth and the nose shortened. I still find the eyes too large and vapid, and in certain expressions they just look plain bug-eyed.
A good example I found of the weird face/jaw thing:

Anyways...those are my biggest issues and not an exhaustive list, I just fear being even more nitpicky with more. I'm really hoping the additional face options in the future address a few of these concerns, but I'm worried because as she stands now, this is not Vephriel for me, and it's really hard feeling such a disconnect from your main character.
Attachments
veph compare.png
veph compare.png (781.54 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I was just replying to someone, Veph. That doesn't count for it being 'constantly pointed out'. :) I'm not replying to any more responses about it. I said my piece, which is okay to do, and was polite about the whole thing.

Moving on to some positive critique....

Honestly, I think it looks good. Veph looks less serious and less uptight in the after image and I really like that. In a relaxed state, you're not posturing yourself upright, least I hope you wouldn't. The face looked fuller like she gained a little weight(and was sorely needed. Cant stand they were just sticks and looked sickly). I never liked how the elves had their hears constantly having an upward tilt. That's not natural and is bad for the neck, so I'm glad it's gone.

For the males...they need to lose the duckface. That....no. I can't take them seriously.

Last edited by Lisaara on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Kalhoun wrote:Another screenshot to further show the weird mouth to chin ratio.

Looks like I'm not the only one to mention it on the thread, so I hope they tweak it.
Oh god I did not realise how bad the males looked XD He's doing a duck face >.<
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

if multiple people tell you that maybe it's not really your place to be saying something, then..... maybe you just shouldn't be saying it? kinda rude tbh. if you don't wanna get emotional about things, cool, but telling people not to just bc it's a wip is kinda.... idk. not cool.

as for things that are actually relevant to this thread, the chest and rear are weirdly large on fem belves now. i think veph may've already pointed this out? if not, you can see in her comparison pictures how it's just... weird. the run is also reminiscent of the old human female run, though i'm hoping they just modge-podged the two together to make something presentable for ptr. it seems as though the males are nearly complete, with only some relatively minor finishing touches to change, but the females..... aren't. everything about them feels incredibly off. i think we've also already talked a bit about hair/skin tones, but there was a reddish brown hair colour i was using for my paladin that is now just COMPLETELY brown, which was a little jarring. judging by the weird whitish streaks tho, which were also on the fem human hair styles before they were finished, that'll be changed.

definitely not a fan of the new butts and boobs, tho. they feel huge.

obviously this has all already been mentioned in the official thread.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Aeladrine wrote:if multiple people tell you that maybe it's not really your place to be saying something, then..... maybe you just shouldn't be saying it? kinda rude tbh. if you don't wanna get emotional about things, cool, but telling people not to just bc it's a wip is kinda.... idk. not cool.

Can you guys move this to Pms please?
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Wow, I think the new Vephriel looks absolutely beautiful! I mean, the head tilt thing is a little weird, but other than that, I think she looks great. HOWEVER, that being said, the new look is quite different from her current look, and I totally get that that's jarring. Not blaming you in the slightest for being concerned.

I still think the females look pretty darned good. Their proportions look fine to me, actually. The males, however.....eh. That mouth desperately needs some attention. :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Zhuge
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Kul'Tiras (EU)

Unread post by Zhuge »

Copied my rogue over to check out the new models - took her to the barber to see the different hair styles and this is her expression in the chair.....

my thoughts exactly! XD

Click to enter my lair

Zakarya on Flight Rising

Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

I love all those tweaks! This and the fact that the anti aliasing is coming back made me resub right away! :D

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Zhuge wrote:Copied my rogue over to check out the new models - took her to the barber to see the different hair styles and this is her expression in the chair.....

my thoughts exactly! XD
Omg...XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Also, this face is giving me nightmares...

Zhuge
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Kul'Tiras (EU)

Unread post by Zhuge »

Kalhoun wrote:Also, this face is giving me nightmares...

OMFG *dying*

Nooooo 85% of my characters are male belfs :lol:

Click to enter my lair

Zakarya on Flight Rising

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

Lupen202 wrote:I'm not worried yet because I know these are very much still WIPs; they certainly aren't terrible.. but they definitely need some work.

Biggest issue I have with females is they seem so expressionless/lifeless. But hopefully that'll be fixed when they work on the rigging and what-not. I can live with the slightly-bouncier run. It also seems like they're looking slightly down & to the right as opposed to straight forward like the old models. Tiny detail but it kinda bugs me ><

Also lots of stretching issues with some armor textures - some boots namely, as well as the arms on chest pieces. Eyeglow goes through eyepatch too .. I can look past that if I have to because no way am I getting rid of my eyepatch lol.

You can see what I mean by the face looking down here:

The original model holds her head high and proud. The new one looks.. depressed.
It might just be me, but she looks human, just with longer ears. I'm not as pleased with the Blood elves as I was before. Yes, they're still a wip but I hope the BElves gain their proud look back...they look depressed and human.

And oh my...that duck face the males pull :lol: