Activision Blizzard being sued for discrimination against female employees

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Activision Blizzard being sued for discrimination against female employees

Unread post by Wain »

Here's the article: https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-deve ... ce=twitter

And here's an image with an overlay showing a bunch of Blizzard names (some not at Blizzard yet, some have since left / been shown the door) posing in the suite, around a picture of Bill Cosby.
CosbySuiteCockroaches.jpg
CosbySuiteCockroaches.jpg (58.49 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
They're all proudly posing with a portrait of a rapist. This was 2013, from memory. At that time Cosby hadn't been convicted, but many allegations had already come to light and there's no doubt the reason for them naming the suite that, and why they had a picture of him. Even if they believed rape was wrong, they still didn't care enough to take it seriously. They obviously found the reference funny.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I know you don't use Twitter normally, but I've been retweeting a number of stories from the Petopia account:
https://twitter.com/wowpetopia

For the most part I've avoided retweeting opinions from influencers and streamers, even if they're good ones, because it's not about them and they're not central to the issue, but I have tried to amplify the stories of many women who experienced harrassment, discrimination or assault while at Blizzard, and the stories of some men at Blizzard who had insider information, or who have been involved in the walkout protest today.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I try to read as much as I can but Danish medias have very little about it so i appriciate any links. Thank you !

Any numbers on ppl who were online part of the logout?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Maria wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25 am Any numbers on ppl who were online part of the logout?
Not sure, sorry. There may be no way to determine that.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

i counted around 50-100 on my server a few minutes to closedown. so quite good a for an eu server

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It is likely that we will never know exactly how many logged out.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Any comments on blizzard yet? Only read the short note from the wow team there was on the battlenet launcher

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Maria wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:35 am Any comments on blizzard yet? Only read the short note from the wow team there was on the battlenet launcher
As far as I know, no. They may say something soon or they may never say anything about this or go into detail about it.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Just saw a Danish article which says that Bobby Kotick apologized for the way Activision Blizzard handled the alligations.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, but it still seems like a forced apology, in light of his management and spokespeople completely failing to be believable in their responses. The actions, if any, the company takes in coming months are what will truly speak.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

yeah... sadly it seems that a lot of europeans , atleast on my server just treat it as a joke.. from today in Korthia. The whole thing were longer than i could have on screen but very uncomfortable to read so i shot the channel down after ahort time

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Sorry I did not link it yesterday I was not sure it would be appropriate. I'm so disgusted personally I hope all of these idiots go to jail or at least lose their jobs along with their reputations.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Right now a lot of what is being said by Activision or Blizz devs seems forced or them trying to cover their own skin. People can make mistakes, even big mistakes, in the past and can be a better person now. The problem that I have been seeing is that, at least for the devs, they say that they had nothing to do with it or are disappointed in what Alex or other devs have done, but then it turns out that they were either involved or are still involved in these things.

I don’t know whether or not they will be fired. I think that if anything, those most responsible will just choose to leave the companies.

@Mania There are people who do not see the problem with anything that has been revealed to have been going on. Since WoW is an online game, they have the benefit of anonymity and don’t have to worry about consequences.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I made a thread on the eu forums and spec one dude were really a troglodyte
dont look for a wife xD… it was a joke. but your post to me was clear that you didnt have such thick skin. hence why i asked if u were a girl… i just wanted to test my radar.
clearly the person was offended and felt bad after a run or two of being flamed or such, indacation of lack of emo controll. hints towards a typical gender.
IRL YES, most western woman wish they were born with a stick
I flagged the posts but I could not report said person
Please flag or what ever you can do.
Thread is here
https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c ... eneral/235

Felt it belonged here.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Ugh X(

I wish I could flag them but I'm not EU. But I imagine (hope) they'll be dealt with quickly.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

other flagged the persons post so atleast they are hidden now. Many commented on that it was a blue poster in disquise but not sure if it was true or just a joke. The person is also very mean to everyone who play worgen, vulpera or panda and calls them slangwords.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

So J. Allen Brack and Jesse Meschuk, the Head of Global Human Resources for Blizzard, have both left the company. I can't say that I am surprised. There was far too much information that showed that both of them were aware of what was happening and, sadly, did nothing about it.
Last edited by Valnaaros on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Indeed, it's a good sign. But the speed at which it happened makes me think it was a desperate effort on the part of higher management to deflect attention from their actions, and the ongoing lawsuit, rather than anything genuine.

There's now a second lawsuit, taken by shareholders, alleging a coverup of the harassment charges has misled them and harmed their own investments.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

And with this, Activision absorbs more and more of what remained.

Siggy under construction!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I've been thinking about it, and I can't see Blizzard doing a Blizzcon again anytime soon, if ever. A lot of the higher up devs that would be faces during Blizzcon have been involved in all of this.