New Character Naming Suggestions

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Re: New Character Naming Suggestions

Unread post by Cerah »

I tend to like names that sound ordinary when you say them, but are spelled unusually. It gives them a "medieval" feel. However, my names usually have other meanings too.

Cerah, my Orc Hunter. pronounced "Sarah". I actually originally wanted to name her "Cera" after the tough little triceratops in the original "Land Before Time". She has the "boar tails" hair style to this day in honour of a triceratop's head shield. (I'm still hoping for a tamable one).

Emielee, my Forsaken Warlock. Pronounced "Emily", she's named after the Corpse Bride. Kind of ironic since in my stories, she falls in love with one of the living (a blood elf pally in her case), and that was completely unplanned when I named her.

Bessey, my Tauren Druid. Pronouced "Bessie". She's a cow. Need I say more?

Taysha, my Troll Mage (though she's actually half Orc, half Troll, Cerah's daughter). She was originally going to be named "Tasha" after Tasha Yar from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but that was unavailable. That worked out well; the extra "y" makes it sound more original, IMO.

Lighthope, my blood elf paladin. She's named after the all-seeing pool of light from the She-ra cartoon series. I thought the Princess of Power made a nice theme for a blood knight (her Charger is named Spirit, her Celestial Steed, Swiftwind, and her mini-pet faerie dragon, Kowl). Plus, it fits the theme of several blood knight npcs in game.

Meggera, my Orc Death Night. Named after Meggera from Disney's Hercules who was a servant of Hades (a good stand in for the Lich King), and in turn named after her mythological counterpart. I just thought it suited her. She calls her ghoul Pain, her gargoyle Panic.

Fateflare, my Blood Elf Rogue. He's Lighthope's son, so I wanted him to have a similar name to his mother, but sounding more mysterious, more "rogue-y".

For my allies, I have:

Cielle, my Night Elf Priest. A modified version of "Ciel", which is french for "sky". I thought that would perfectly suit a prietess of Elune. Her twin brother is a druid named Terre, french for "earth".

Leata, my Dwarf Hunter. She's actually named after the internet pen name of a friend of mine who wants to play WoW, but doesn't have a computer that can run it yet. I plan on giving this character to her (if that's possible) once she has her own account.

Emielee, my Human Mage. The "living" version of my Forsaken.

Soffi, my Draenei paladin. Pronounced "Sophie". I just started her up a few days ago and I was lazy this time; that name came up in the random name generator. I just thought it sounded cool.

Liltie, my gnome warrior. Named after the Lilties, a race of tiny but tough little people from the Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles game series.

And finally, my newest alt, made especially for Petopians, is Toeph, my Tauren Huntress. She's named after Toph, the tough, blind Earthbender, my favourite character from Avatar: The Last Airbender, and all her pets will be named after other characters from the show. So far, she has TyLee, Iroh, and Aang.

... I think I have alt-itisis.
Last edited by Cerah on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Unread post by Galahandra »

Well, over my many toons that I have, these are my favourite names:

Horde:
Maybelle - Tauren Druid named after one of the cows we had on our farm
Jóga - Orc Hunter named after my favourite Bjork song...sounds like an Orcish name too!
Bensaiten - Got the name off of Aquarian Age, turns out to be the goddess of everything that flows in Japanese mythology: water, words (and knowledge, by extension), speech, eloquence, and music. Managed to spell the name wrong. She's a Troll Priestess!
Alluvyr - Name I came up with, thought it sounded good...she's a Blood Elf Paladin!
Claudine - My Orc DK...figured that DKs could have any name you want them to have, seeing as they were killed and remember little of their past.

Alliance:
Sarasvati - Another name I stole off of Aquarian Age...same as Benzaiten, but a Hindu Deity...she's a human mage!
Celaena - Named after a star, she's a Draenei Shaman!
Alberius - Also named after a star, the very first character I ever made! She's a Dwarf Warrior
Seraphima - Came up with the name myself, but turns out there's hundreds of them!! Night Elf Huntress
Marissia - Another name I came up with, thought it sounded like a name a Night Elf would have...she's a Druid!
Cerysa - Named after one of my favourite female singers (Cerys Matthews) She's a human priest!

Got quite a few names saved for the incoming Cataclysm, my favourite one being:

Ricks - Name for whatever class of Goblin I'm going to choose...think short, simple sounding names suit Goblins, can be teamed up perfectly with a whismical sounding nickname for those who love to RP :)
Vicario
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar (US), Wyrmrest Accord (US), Vek'nilash (US)

Unread post by Vicario »

Casandrau: When contemplating a server change, I had to think of a more Belvish name. Thus, I took the Mary-Sue approach and modified a real name.

Vicario (Eonar): A totally OOC name for a Troll Shaman. ^.^; Got it from Chronicle of a Death Foretold. As for the link between Troll and fictional family... uh... Hey everyone! Look at the pretty bunny! *Shoves a cute bunny into everyone's face*

Inverse (My Undead Warrior, Vek'Nilash): I was gonna name a Pirate that if I were to join Maplestory, but I figured that the game has gone to hell already. Inverse comes from a type of statement in math which is essentially "If X, then Y" with a "not" tacked on before the X and the Y.

Sarlek (My Troll Mage, Wyrmrest): Modified from Sarllek, a random name.

Nekthr (My Orc DK, Wyrmrest): Random name, sounds kinda like "Nether" with a K thrown in.

Kalchas (Tauren Druid on Vicario's server): Named after a Trojan in Greek mythology that could read the future through interpreting the flight of birds (Sounds a bit shamanistic, though.)

Orlandau (Baluum) (Belf Pally on Wyrmrest): ...You could probably figure this one out.
Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Sochi »

Sochi: She was once an alt in Final Fantasy 11, a low level mithran thief I always thought I'd level when I had finished with my main. But the allure of that game faded and I came into WoW. I wanted my FFXI main's name Brielle, but it was taken, so Sochi was second choice. I'm glad I took it as I really like it. Sochi is also the name of a Russian town where they will be holding the next Winter Olympics. I didn't know it was a town when I thought I had "just come up with it"

Shaon; Thorn in Thallassian. A blood elf sounding name for a blood elf hunter-lady. My main alt character

Traia: A name I thought sounded good. Traia is my current leveling toon. Another hunter. What can I say, I love the class.

Copperpin: Currently a lady tauren, soon to be my goblin hunter.

Tezca: Troll Druid to be. I think the name came from some trollish ruins or from a mix-up of Aztec. Troll ruins remind me a lot of mezo-american building styles.

Rinly: Lady blood elf rogue. No origin, just liked the way it sounded. Was the alt name for my other rogue and found it available here. So I took it.

Liende: Night elf hunter-lady. When I transferred her to Nesingwary, I found her original name, Vasi, taken. In a book I was reading at the time, a fairly minor character in that story had this name. So Vasi became Liende and it works. It sounds night elvish to me.

Eiskal: Once a blood elf deathknight, rolled to provide money for a low level Shaon, Eiskal was rerolled as a hunter. But he never got much play time, so when I planned out the roster to include my worgen on Nesingwary, I decided Eiskal would become my male worgen. The name to me speaks of ice and cold and lands to the far north. A fair name for a rogue, one that whispers of death's chill grip.

Tamsin: Future Worgen huntress. I always said I would not roll a worgen hunter as a wolf working with a wolf in battle just seemed so odd to me. She'll probably stay a hunter, but she could become a druid.

Raily: A toon I said I would never roll. I hated the class/race combo back on my old PvP realm. Gnome rogues! I had tried a rogue a long while back and didn't take him past level 10. So what was I doing, rolling out a rogue, let alone a gnome? One of my favorite bloggers had come back from a hiatus and had written about her gnome rogue. She made it sound so much fun and curiosity got the better of me. So I rolled one, got her to five and rerolled her with a name change on Nesingwary. Raily to me comes off as cute but tough, and she'll surely rot your teeth as she slips a dagger into your ribs.
Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: US:The Scryers, EU: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Murloc Chow »

In preparation for Cata, I’ve been getting my Cata Hunters set up; my poor neglected current Hunters are gathering dust. So far I haven’t nailed down my list of pet skins for each; I’m waiting for a more stable list of what’s tameable, and at what level. I have, however, created lists of their possible pet names for each Hunter, and I thought I’d share in the hopes that it will help other looking for names.

Artist: Murloc Chow, Medium: msPaint
Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

~Direluck, Worgen Hunter, for his pet names I just opened my thesaurus:

Baneful, Unfortunate, Unlucky, Sad, Hapless, illomened, Inauspicious, Luckless, Baleful, Malign, Doomed, Grim, Miserable, Pathetic, Pitiful, Rueful, Wretched, Lousy, Badluck, Corruption, Jinxed, Direstraits, Disastrous, Blackcloud (windserpent), Catastrophic (has to be a cat ), Ominous(maybe an owl), Impending (bird of some kind), Monday, and so on.

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

~Prettypretty, Undead Hunter, her pet names are ones which are complimentary to her name:

Please, Deadly, Cute, Scary, Dirty, Flower, Kitty, Quick, Wild, Ugly, InPink, Odd, etc.

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

~Swiftfox, Worgen Hunter, her pets will be Foxes, Owls, and the white wasp Qirot, the Foxes and Wasp will have names of real species, the Owls though will get names of Hunter shots:

Fox: Reynard (male fox), Arctic, Kerdo (Greek for fox), Warrah (Falkland Islands Fox), Kit.
Birds: WingClip, Volley, RaptorStrike, AspectOfHawk, SteadyShot, KillCommand, Misdirection, KillShot, ArcaneShot.
Wasp: Hymenoptera, Zyzzyx (genus name for a type of sand wasp), Marabunta or Marimbondo [(spider wasp), although these names can be generally applied to any very large stinging wasps], Sphex (genus name, commonly known as digger wasps).

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Murloc Chow, you don't have to multipost, you could just have tied those posts together into one. Also, that shade of green is a pain for me to read. xD

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

~Eatandbmerry, Undead Hunter, I decided that he will be a connoisseur of “anthropomorphic” cuisine, so I made a list of most of the Humanoids in the game, and a list cooking terms (and figured out how many letters in each to keep within the 12 character limit):

Draenei-7, Dwarf-5, Gnome-5, Human-5, Night Elf-8, Blood Elf-8, Orc-3, Tauren-6, Troll-5, Undead-6, Goblin-6, Worgen-6, Naga-4, Kobold-6, Trogg-5, Taunka-6, Tuskarr-7, Gorloc-6, Harpy-5, Makrura-7, Murloc-6, Ogre-4, Quillboar-9, Wolvar-6, Yeti-4, Furblog-7, Treant-6, Dryad-5, Satyr-5, Gnoll-5, Pandarian-9, Ogre-4, Demon-5, Imp-3, Arakkoa-7

+

_ _ _ _ _ _Cutlet, _ _ _ _ _ _Fillet, WellDone_ _ _ _, _ _ _ _Trotters,
BBQ_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, Roasted_ _ _ _ _, Diced_ _ _ _ _ _ _, Fried_ _ _ _ _ _ _,
Grilled_ _ _ _ _, _ _ _ _ _ _Mousse, Poached_ _ _ _ _, Sautéed_ _ _ _ _,
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Stew, _ _ _ _ _StirFry, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Pie, _ _ _ _ _Sirloin,
_ _ _ _ _Giblets, Roast_ _ _ _ _ _ _

=

GnollStew, Murloc/GorlocFillet, TreantSalad, OgreCutlet, DeepFriedElf, WellDoneYeti, RoastArakkoa, PandarianPie, and NagaCaviar (which is my favourite, saved for a special pet), and so on. If anyone has any other suggestions I’m all ears, I’ve been having troubles thinking up cooking terms.

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Saturo wrote:Murloc Chow, you don't have to multipost, you could just have tied those posts together into one. Also, that shade of green is a pain for me to read. xD
It looks a bit cluttered when it's all in one post, and the green makes me happy :mrgreen:

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Murloc Chow wrote:
Saturo wrote:Murloc Chow, you don't have to multipost, you could just have tied those posts together into one. Also, that shade of green is a pain for me to read. xD
It looks a bit cluttered when it's all in one post, and the green makes me happy :mrgreen:
That green makes it next to impossible for me to read it. Dx

And it's considered forum etiquette to not doublepost like that. You could clear it up a little by making lines, like ----------, _________ and ========.

This post

----------

Has been separated

----------

Into smaller pieces.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Bellatryx »

First Hunter, Jezebelle.
Lovecat, my druid. (she's now Mewsette)
Mesektet, my OTHER druid.
Harleigh, my second hunter.
Bellatryx, my THIRD hunter.
Bellatryx, my Paladin <3 (Formerly Harleigh.. then Luella..)
and.. Azrae my future Troll Hunter.

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Bella means beautiful, what does Tryx mean?

Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Murloc Chow wrote:Bella means beautiful, what does Tryx mean?
It's a modified version of Bellatrix, a character from Harry Potter.
Bellatrix Lestrange

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

The maniac who casts powerful, destructive spells... A warlock, in other words! :D

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Ah, neat :)

Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Saturo wrote:The maniac who casts powerful, destructive spells... A warlock, in other words! :D
Just because she bares the name doesn't mean shes the same person =P

Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Sure, sure *Drops Frost Trap runs away.*

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

Here are some names I'm planning to use for Cata so far:

Ulfa - Dwarf Shaman. I used to have a dwarf hunter by that name. It fit her very well and I was glad to see that the name was still available on my server when I made a placeholder.

Moxxie - Goblin Warrior. Moxie was taken, but now I actually like it better this way. I think the double x makes it look more like a goblin name.

Anshewa - Tauren Paladin. I like to think that it means somthing like "blessed by An'she" (the Tauren name for the sun).

Ludovika - Undead Warlock. I've been planning on leveling her for ages, but never got around to it. Now I've decided to wait for Cata and experience the new starting zone.

Two names I really like but don't yet know what to do with: Aleshandra and Roshana. The later may end up as my Worgen Rogue who is yet unnamed, but I'm not sure if that really fits, so we'll see.

As a general tip: I like to look up NPCs on WoWWiki to get an idea of what names for that race are like. E.g. Orgrimmar NPCs gives you a nice overview of mostly orc and troll names. Makes it easier to come up with a name of the same style. And the names of minor NPCs can actually be used by players, so if you find one you really like you can just keep it.
Bellatryx wrote:
Murloc Chow wrote:Bella means beautiful, what does Tryx mean?
It's a modified version of Bellatrix, a character from Harry Potter.
Bellatrix Lestrange
It's also Latin for "female warrior" and the name of a star in the constellation Orion. :geek:
Last edited by Mindsprocket on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lok'tar ogar!