WoW Becoming Unfriendly To Women?

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Re: WoW Becoming Unfriendly To Women?

Unread post by Kayb »

Fael wrote:My biggest women problem with WoW is how they don't make unique female models for npc races. Nearly everything is male. There are no females amongst the Tol'vir or Ramkahen (the new kitty people), there are no females for the Tuskarr. For the Taunka they didn't even make an attempt of having the females look like anything other than female Tauren. They made new male Troll models for the different tribes but did nothing for the females. I think the only npc races that have females are those that were developed for Vanilla WoW, such as the Naga and the Centaurs. I'm really disappointed that for Blizzard it's "enough" to make up a race and have it represented by males.

There are also Quilboar females (all the casters). True indeed, when I saw female Vykrul I was totally shocked. Using Tauren females to represent the Taunka is just plain terrible. And for that matter, the Taunka males could have been done better than a simple head swap. But over al I agree with you, they really should have both genders shown for a lot of the races present in the game. The Broken would be another good example of that

I completely understand that with the likes of Murlocs and Furbolgs that it might not really be needed so much as they could be either. But yeah theres plnety of others out there that could do with some gender mixing
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I agree. That is one thing that does really bother me, the lack of NPC females.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Kayb »

Female sea giants! Female mountain giants! though i guess those could just be elementals... Female iron dwarves, earthern, etc and what about Female ogres?

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

There is a female giant that boss in maru... marurafdadamskl,c. that one.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Kayb »

Maraudon true, but she's more of a elemental god than anything else.

I wanna see a female mountain giant :D

Fael
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Fael »

Kayb wrote:
Fael wrote:My biggest women problem with WoW is how they don't make unique female models for npc races. Nearly everything is male. There are no females amongst the Tol'vir or Ramkahen (the new kitty people), there are no females for the Tuskarr. For the Taunka they didn't even make an attempt of having the females look like anything other than female Tauren. They made new male Troll models for the different tribes but did nothing for the females. I think the only npc races that have females are those that were developed for Vanilla WoW, such as the Naga and the Centaurs. I'm really disappointed that for Blizzard it's "enough" to make up a race and have it represented by males.

There are also Quilboar females (all the casters). True indeed, when I saw female Vykrul I was totally shocked. Using Tauren females to represent the Taunka is just plain terrible. And for that matter, the Taunka males could have been done better than a simple head swap. But over al I agree with you, they really should have both genders shown for a lot of the races present in the game. The Broken would be another good example of that

I completely understand that with the likes of Murlocs and Furbolgs that it might not really be needed so much as they could be either. But yeah theres plnety of others out there that could do with some gender mixing
Ooh right, I forgot about the Vrykul. That really surprised me as well! They even have that whole amazon-style tribe going on. The only race I can think of that is strictly female would be the Harpies. I only guess that they mate with humanoids or birds or something.... o__o
Last edited by Fael on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renle
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: The Scryers

Unread post by Renle »

would be the Harpies
And I'm pretty sure those were made as 'fap' material anyways lol.

As far as sexism in the game, I'm sure it could be a lot worse. It does seem quite frankly that, though there is some small amount of thought put into the female player base, it seems like most of the game is slanted towards the guys.

There are a few things that do annoy me enough that I wish they'd change. One being the issues with the Deathbringers Will.
When it procc's, I loose my 'Matron' title, so I basically can't wear that title at all because it's always getting reset :/
And I'm fairly sure that even if bliz has this on a 'to be fixed' list, it's so far down, that by the time they fix it no one will be using the trinket anymore anyways.
Also, I know it would never happen, but it would be nice if some of the druid forms weren't all so masculine. Tauren cat forms are male lions, and the new troll forms (though extremely awesome) all have very large male tusks.

Now, as far as the topless girls argument goes. As a female, I don't see how this is AT ALL liberating. Yes, I want to walk around without my shirt on so that guys will act like total apes around me. /sarcasm
Really the only women I can think of that would want to walk around topless are those kind that dance naked on mailboxes in game for attention. :P

~•*¨*•.¸¸Running Wild!¸¸.•*¨*•~

~Krypto~ | ~Raiden~ | ~Rush'Kah~

~Mini Pets | Armory | Mounts~

My Dragon Cave
^ Clickeh ^

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Never actually thought of topless trees....thou everytime I walk in Thousand needles I think they thought of too many crotch jokes as it is...or I just keep on seeing the wrong rocks everywhere.

The druid forms are constant arguement...okay the nelf ones go because the panther is neutral but the male lion!
But yes the most of the player base is guys even if everybody even guys can issue that plate/male bikini is a no-no.
To be honest I'd love to see a male succubus or a female satyr..wait do female satyrs even exist?

Plus I want the female ogre also.I want to see who was Garrosh's mom already.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I don't think female Satyrs have a historical precedent. But the, neither did female dwarves. :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

harpe srepoduce by stealing males from other races (it can be any race) rape them for a while and then their babies eat them. lol
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

I forgot about the female npcs, and yes, I have to admit, Blizzard has seemed to be rather lazy with them in WotLK, especially with the Taunka. I always thought for the Tuskkar, though, that there were female ones, they just happened to look just like the males. Same with Ogres, Murlocs and Furblogs in vanilla wow, though if they ever made Pandaren more than just a small pet, I hope the gender differences would be a little more obvious than for their Furblog cousins. The druid forms kind of bug me too. I mean, would it be all that difficult to make lioness forms for female Tauren druids?

At least we do see female Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, etc. now, unlike in the Warcraft stragety games, though it apparently took Blizzard a while to figure out what they would end up looking like, as illustrated in this article here:

http://popculture123.blogspot.com/2008/ ... ns-of.html

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Cerah wrote:I forgot about the female npcs, and yes, I have to admit, Blizzard has seemed to be rather lazy with them in WotLK, especially with the Taunka. I always thought for the Tuskkar, though, that there were female ones, they just happened to look just like the males. Same with Ogres, Murlocs and Furblogs in vanilla wow, though if they ever made Pandaren more than just a small pet, I hope the gender differences would be a little more obvious than for their Furblog cousins. The druid forms kind of bug me too. I mean, would it be all that difficult to make lioness forms for female Tauren druids?

At least we do see female Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, etc. now, unlike in the Warcraft stragety games, though it apparently took Blizzard a while to figure out what they would end up looking like, as illustrated in this article here:

http://popculture123.blogspot.com/2008/ ... ns-of.html
Good article. I just love the comments!
WoW Gold Guide said...
world of warcraft gold guide

APRIL 10, 2009 11:49 AM

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

Thanks! I actually had to look at that for a university class -- Feminist Speculative Fiction. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Noor wrote:Actually, I was just complaining the other day on how discriminating it is that men are allowed to walk around topless in this place called real life, but women are not. We both have breasts. Heck, I've seen men with bigger boobs than I have! :shock: But no one complains about them. But if I was to toss my bra and t-shirt, I'd get a ticket.

Personally, I think people are too uptight about bodies and should just chill. Especially since the female body is just gorgeous!

Now, how women are treated in WoW, is another story, indeed, Teigan ;)

Because men don't normally have breasts, which women have- oh yes they do have them but normally not as prominent and the fact of the matter is while it may be somewhat sexist, I as a woman would rather see topless men than topless women- and besides I've seen women in things so small and slu- ska- and scanty, that they have just barely been clothed.

It's the same as the Mr Happy and the Vrr. Women have an innie, men have an outie but both are NOT appropriate to be seen by children. Men's boobs are flat and honestly unless they have those LOOK AT MY BREAST man nipples- or moobs, there's NOTHING about their chest that's r rated, or the same as well the prominent boobs that even I have as a girl.

So I'm just going to say. Men and Women are not equal body wise- meaning men and women have different rights about how much skin they can choose to show.
And lastly there is that strange naked pregnant looking rock thing which I thankfully could not find a screen shot of. And I'm not really trying to complain or anything I'm not canceling my wow sub over any of this or think its a reasonable response,but I am really curious as to what other wow girls and even guys think about all this?
Excuse me? How is she an insult or an unfriendly NPC to women? I mean it's obvious when you first posted this you have NO idea who or what Princess Theladris and no I don't remember her name off the bat and yes I am now opening a wowwiki tab, anyways, she's the daughter of the 'Earth mother' or the 'Earth elemental', which has clearly stated that beauty- true beauty for said Earth Mother isn't about what's on the outside.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Therazane

Anyways if you read up on Thera's daughter, Theradras, you'd see that there is no mention she was an evil, forsaken creature. Yes she was 'fat' and 'ugly' but there was also grace and strength- just like the mother, it's not about making women insulted or anything like that. And if you also read on, Theradras was in a very tragic romance with Cenarius' first son Zaetar. Who you later learn actually used Theradras and twisted her love for him to birth him the first Centaur Khan's, because of spite and jealousy over a rivalship with his brother. Meaning Theradras was actually a victim but Zaetar was heroised because 'lol she turned evil in her grief' but NO WHERE does it say she was evil, or malevolent. She's just a grief strucken woman who would have done what I, you or any woman who lost one man who loved us do.

It also paints a scarily true picture, that pretty and good looking men can be very very prideful, petty and manipulative to women who aren't that pretty :<

I honestly only did the quest once or twice before I just spat on the dryads.

Just.

Spit on them. Every time I see them.

Then we have the female naga which have mysteriously lost their tops. I actually think they look better this way tho.
The tops were just scales. Not actual clothing. And honestly this does look better as you said, as well they have boobs but they aren't really boobs as the naga aren't mamilians anymore and the boobs are really just like, a throwback to the nelves they once were. Like how large pythons have the back spurs near their business end, if male's really- a throwback to them once having limbs entirely. Or how sometimes a whale is born with hind limbs, if dwarfed.

And actually it looks less fanservice this way.

First we have the one that really I must admit does get under my skin a bit. In one of the new zones there are topless trees. For no reason, I can't even say they look pretty art wise to me.
And um what... isn't so offensive either tbh.

Honestly the only thing I hate is all the fanservice to men.

AND HOW LITTLE THERE IS FOR WOMEN.

Seriously. It's insane.

Even Ysera has a fanservice model.

There's no fanservice dragon-human for us ladies.

There's no fanservice anywhere for us.

Well unless I strip Caim to his boxers and dance on the mailbox but, that's self indulgance, not fanservice :<
Vicario
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar (US), Wyrmrest Accord (US), Vek'nilash (US)

Unread post by Vicario »

Ryai wrote: Honestly the only thing I hate is all the fanservice to men.

AND HOW LITTLE THERE IS FOR WOMEN.

Seriously. It's insane.

Even Ysera has a fanservice model.

There's no fanservice dragon-human for us ladies.

There's no fanservice anywhere for us.

Well unless I strip Caim to his boxers and dance on the mailbox but, that's self indulgance, not fanservice :<
I beg to differ. WoW has a ton of shirtless guys and even some scantily-clad guys.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

MURLOC FEMALES ME WANT NOW WITH BIG FISY BOOBIES!
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Vicario wrote:I beg to differ. WoW has a ton of shirtless guys and even some scantily-clad guys.

I have not seen them this is a liieeee

MURLOC FEMALES ME WANT NOW WITH BIG FISY BOOBIES!
*Fish slap dances with Cowmuflage*
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Kayb »

that would give new meaning to a murloc scale breastplate.

Fael
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Fael »

As a red herring after loading some halloween masks of the new races last year Blizzard then uploaded several more. With these a female Ogre was done up... as well as a female Murloc I suppose. :p

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Kayb »

Poor dear Murloc needs to learn how to apply her make up better, heh. the female ogre one though is intriguing, perhaps we'll be seeing some female ogres at last come Cata time..?