What will you do if you get into the beta?

Nightmare452
Realm: Anetheron

Re: What will you do if you get into the beta?

Unread post by Nightmare452 »

If given the beta key I'd share it with my boyfriend so we can both explore and test out new things together.And Q.Q about how they need to finally fix the shaman class, YAY! We would make sure to find as many bugs as possible and sit in trade and complain about how rogues and paladins are so OP. (shamans suck at PvP hence the whining)
I'd also make a worgen and camp my shammy out near the starting area so I could gank anyone whos name is a Twilight reference. =D

BTW Fantasy doesn''t mean there can't be any guns,cars planes etc...as long as they look hand made it's still considered fantasy.After all technology evolves in real life, so why can't it in WoW? When they step away from organic or that shoddy hand made look THEN it's going into sci-fi. *cough*Dranai*cough (I'm horde so I don't have to spell the space goats name right xP )
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

There have been technological steampunk contraptions in the game for a very long time and are an intrinsic part of the Warcraft setting. As for what is and is not appropriate, that is only for Blizzard to say as it is their own creation and as they have a very firm hold on it's lore and content, I am sure that whatever they put in the game has a perfect right to be there and fits the setting appropriately.

The players play in Blizzard's sandbox, in the world they create for us, and if we don't find it suiting our sensibilities of what should or should not be there, we are free to go elsewhere. Personally, I love the steampunk stuff, it's so nice to see a fantasy setting break away from some of the boring standards of the genre.
Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Saturo wrote:Not just Gnomes and Goblins that invent...

http://www.wowwiki.com/Gyrocopter
http://www.wowwiki.com/Gun
It would be actually a great thing if they introduced the Gyrocopter for players to purchase. It rankles that Engineers can only fly the Flying and Turbo-Charged Flying Machines.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Arwyn wrote:It would be actually a great thing if they introduced the Gyrocopter for players to purchase. It rankles that Engineers can only fly the Flying and Turbo-Charged Flying Machines.
Poor engineers hardly have anything useful anymore. :( At least let them keep their perks.
Vespias
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Vespias »

Hard choice..on the one hand, giving it to Mania would be the responsible thing in order that everybody benefits. On the other hand I love to explore. Tough call that will have to wait for if and when I get it.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I have to agree on the "it's Blizz world and they can do what they want" statement.

But I, as a roleplayer, have some problems with Blizz taking it's own creation less and less serious.
The copters were hard to swallow and now, OK, now we have motorcycles. But has the license plate to be "PWN"? Yeah, Mr. T. was funny in the commercials. But do those Mohawk grenades make any sense? Do they patch them out again? No! It is just plain stupid.

They seem to lose the respect for their own creation. Maybe it is because there are so many new members in the design team or maybe they are sick and tired of it. Maybe it's because they don't play anymore and don't see it "live and in action". I don't know. But a little less humor would do some good, at least in my opinion. Hooray for the easter eggs but some stuff is just to much, if you ask me.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yup, one of the annoying bits is all the poop jokes they started with in TBC. One poop quest, ok, fun. Two? Okay, tough less fun... Three!? Getting annoying. And then WOTLK, where all of a sudden ten of them hits you right in the face.

Agreed, the Mohawk grenades aren't very fun. You can quickly tell the level of maturity of the player by seeing if they have a Mohawk. They ran that commercial for a week, and the stupid things are still in the game. You can't walk near a lowbie zone without getting them tossed at you.

And I'm sort of bugged out by the motorcycles. They are just plain ugly, and they don't fit in. I would be less annoyed if they were attached to the lore somehow. But they're not, meaning that I can't look at them without searing hatred flowing trough me. Not to mention the time I was kidnapped by it... I was in a group with a shammy, who was going to give me a lift to Exodar to get my ravager. I left group while in it, and I hadn't put the "leave vehicle" button on my screen. He got me halfway to Orgrimmar before noticing.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel

They just removed the Mohawks last week didn't they?
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

They did?

Those annoying things were still there when I played a bit with my friend on my lvl 10 healer. Ah well, good riddance!

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel

It could be some people who just kept a stockpile of them on hand, but I'm postive the Mr. T character is gone now.
Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Vephriel wrote:They just removed the Mohawks last week didn't they?
Yes, the great Mohawk Night Elf has packed up and left for parts unknown. (Maybe to start questing so he can get the gold to buy a Swift mount since he wasted all his time getting the ingredients he needed for those stupid grenades and then standing around handing them out.)
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Pop culture and low-brow humour have been in WoW for a long time. I would agree that there is more of it now, or at least it's more blatant, than in the past.

But I wonder why pick out a motorcycle with a license plate that says "pwn" as an example of something not fitting when there are scads of characters with utterly absurd names?

WoW is a game which caters to it's audience as a whole, not in part, and there are elements to that audience that embarrass the crap out of me (I'm often very ashamed by my gaming peers, but this is nothing new nor unique to WoW) but there are lots of wonderful things that keep me playing. When that balance tips the other way, that is when it is time to stop. But the point is, there are millions upon millions of people playing this game and the direction of the game is mass, accessible appeal. So that will mean humour, pop culture references, general low-brow humour alongside all the things that make it fun (and for some, those are what make it fun).

WoW is silly, serious, light-hearted, in-depth, wrapped in as much lore as you'd care to find out and if you don't care, it doesn't matter one bit. It is absurdly over the top and dourly gritty and tragic.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more seriousness at times but no way in heck is anyone taking away my Mechano-hog. Maybe I'd like a bit more fantasy than pop-culture but you can have my Zod's Repeating Longbow (kneel before Zod!) when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

They removed the mohawk tents the day after I complained about them in guild chat. If only I knew I had such power! :D

If I get into the Cataclysm beta, I'll start cataloging pets in the new zones immediately, then branch out to the changed zones and finally to the TBC/Wrath zones. Of course, if there are changes to pet mechanics that affect taming I'll have to come to terms with those first. Pet mechanics that don't affect taming (like new pet talents) will be next, and hunter changes way, way behind. Oh, and of course I'll roll a hunter of each new race to see how the hunter quests are handled. (Undead hunter! I can't wait!)

By the way: If you do get an invite, you should use it for yourself. (Assuming you want to -- Karathyriel is excused.) Just make sure to take lots of screenshots and send them to me, okay? :)
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Of course Mania, me and screenshots (and lolcats to a lesser extent) are bound together by forces unheard of!

And he reason were so pissed off at the motorcycles is that if you dislike mages named xxarthasdk, you can just play on an RP server, where you can just report it. The motorcycles are screwing us over, because there is just no real explanation for them. It's evil...

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

there are good chances any of us could get in.
im pretty sure blizzard gives love to addon devs and big community figures so mania has an incredibly high chance for an invite
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Zangor wrote:there are good chances any of us could get in.
im pretty sure blizzard gives love to addon devs and big community figures so mania has an incredibly high chance for an invite
This means that I have absolutely no chance on getting into the beta. Yay!

Hey, wait a minute...

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

Actually I do wonder how Blizz is going to decide who gets into Beta for those not lucky to go to Blizzcon and get a GoodyBag with a Beta Key Code. ( I had annoying things called work and college that stopped me from going. And then some people were speculating that the Codes in the GoodyBag were probably for the Starcraft MMO.)

They could do it like they did with BC Beta invites and have people either try to level a toon to a certain level or have leveled so many toons to a specified level. Or just have them sign up like they did for WOTLK Beta invites.

When I tried out for the BC invite I actually was afraid I woulnd't get one since I only got my toon to 45. But some how that was good enough to get me an invite. And for WOTLK I signed up and lucked out again.
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

Karathyriel wrote:I really wonder what my Tauren will look like when I'm exalted with the goblins and he gets his car out for the first time...
All you need to go with it is a little Shriner hat and you'll be set :lol:

Anyways, if I get a beta invite, I'll make use of it and split time between my DK and my Hunter. First thing I'd do: Try and find red warpsalkers, then feedback if I didn't find any ;)
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Saturo wrote: And he reason were so pissed off at the motorcycles is that if you dislike mages named xxarthasdk, you can just play on an RP server, where you can just report it. The motorcycles are screwing us over, because there is just no real explanation for them. It's evil...
Well, not all servers are bound by the RP server rules (which seem very rarely enforced anyways).
The motorcycles are completely fitting to the Warcraft setting. The goblins and gnomes have always had machinery since day one, motorbikes are nothing out of the norm. Do you find the Deeprun Tram to be not fitting in the game? Or the Venture Company loggers and processing plants? What about the zeppelins? Or the Dark Iron tunneling machines and excavation sites (ie the Cauldron)? How about the siege vehicles in Wintergrasp and Ulduar (where there are motorcycles, helicopters, a tank boss, a boss with a machine gun laser cannon/tank/hovering gunship, a giant robot boss etc)? In fact one could easily argue that the tech to make motorcycles came out of Ulduar itself, a source of lots of technology (the discs from Uldam for example, and the same discs in Halls Of Stone).
Point is there is machinery in all forms all over Azeroth. WoW is a fantasy game, and there are not rigid strictures and rules to fantasy (that is what fantasy is all about after all).
I tend to think that if you do not like or accept machinery in the fantasy genre, you are going to have trouble with WoW.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

All of the other machinery in the game looks rather primitive and looks like it runs on Steam power. The choppers however do not. They're just too advanced of a technology.