The Lich Queen

rubybeam
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: The Lich Queen

Unread post by rubybeam »

Cerah wrote:I have to disagree with the idea that Sylvanus is a tyrant-in-the-making because of her treatment of new Forsaken characters, as of 4.0.3a.

When you first arise as a new Forsaken, the first quests out in Deathknell make it quite clear that the newly undead are given a choice, to either become part of the Forsaken or not. Nobody is forced into it. Another starter quest has you talk to other new Undead, and to try to convince them to join Sylvanus' cause. One joins right away. Another, a former Scarlet, runs off into the woods, and only when he attacks Deathknell with his followers are you told that you must "regretably" put him down. A third, a daughter of a Scarlet officer, runs off on her own. As far as I know, you don't see her again after the Tirstfal glades. Nobody is forced to follow the Banshee Queen, but as an Undead, it's the most logical choice.

In Silverpine, while helping the Forsaken war effort against the Worgen, Sylvanus specifically requests that you, a noob, stand beside her when she demonstrates the Val'kyr's abilities to Garrosh. After, she rides with you to the Sepulcher, telling you the story of the Forsaken personally. She's treating your character so well, taking the time to talk with you, to explain your mission personally, when you were still lying in the dirt days before. Is that the actions of a tyrant? I haven't rolled a new Orc yet, but I seriously doubt that Hellscream is so accomindating to new recruits.

Arthas was a child, playing at being an adult, doing whatever was expected of him, when the only thing he really wanted for himself was to have his horse back. After reading Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, I honestly think that the only thing Arthas ever really loved was Invincible. He was scared shitless of becoming king, of marrying Jaina and having kids of his own -- in short, of growing up. He much prefered going off to kill undead, because slaughtering things, undead or in danger (but in most examples, not yet) of becoming undead, because killing things is much easier than dealing with the living, especially if he could justify it by saying it was "for my people". Arthas was just the kind of person Frostmourne was waiting for.

Sylvanus, in contrast, was, in life, already in a position of high responsiblility. She was Ranger-General of Quel'thalas, in charge of her people's military forces, with hundreds of elves under her and the responsibility of safeguarding her kingdom. She was the opposite of Arthas, someone who did not and would never shrink from her duties. Perhaps that's what pissed him off so badly about her -- he couldn't stand her because she was the hero he could never be, for all his playing Paladin dress up. So after slaughtering her people, he denied her peace in death.

Sylvanus was too strong-willed for even the Lich King's favourite death knight and successor to control, however, and when she had her chance for freedom, she took it, but she did not take it alone. When other scourge regained their free will, she did not abandon them, like almost anyone else would have. There was always the chance that Silvermoon would have welcomed her back, even in undeath, she could have gone home. But for the formerly human undead, whose kingdom was destroyed and whose surviving human families and friends saw them as monsters, there was no chance at that, and Sylvanus did not just leave them to their fates. Instead, she took Undercity away from Arthas' forces, she made a homeland for the people of Lorderan, who had just as much claim to the land in undeath as they did in life, no matter what the Alliance thinks. She gave the Forsaken a home, a purpose, and hope for the future. In short, she did the same for her people as Thrall did for the Orcs, as Cairne did for the Tauren, and Vol'jin for the Darkspear Trolls.

She is no little kid, mad at the world for imaginary unjustices, and throwing one hell of a temper tantram, as Arthas did. Sylvanus is exactly what a leader should be -- an unwaivering advocate for her people. If that makes her evil, then every other faction leader is evil as well.

I agree with everything in this statement, in truth I honestly think that sylvanus is the perfect leader also, the undead starting area is proof of that
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Warfish wrote:Best thing that could happen:

-Forsaken go Truly Bad, Become Seperate (Playable) Faction.

-Horde Recruit the Walrus-men. I love to roll me a Walrus-man (and yes, I know what they're called, I just like the idea of Walrus-men).

Three Factions, Always at War, the Undead out of the Horde, man that would be grand.

And yes, before the flames, I know that no one here would likely share my enthusiasm for this idea.
I wish there were more options to change alliegances as well, but then you KNOW that there would be a case of a band of Horde-Gnomes taking over a RP realm.

I always thought highly of the option of 3 factions. I don't know how that would work, maybe perhaps take Bloodelves, Undead, Nightelves (elves settle their differences), and Gnomes and put them into a new faction. Why Gnomes? Because that would be AWESOME thats all. But i'm just jesting about the last part.

Its just weird that Gilneas and Stormwind are going to be buddy-buddy again perhaps.

Main point i think:What I really would like, is that undead characters wouldnt all have to be the human model though. Wouldn't it be awesome to see Gnome undeads, or Nightelf/Bloodelf undeads or even Troll undeads? A lot of those models exist in the game already, I just don't like how all Undead are the human model, where Sylvanas herself is a elf.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The Forsaken could never be taken out of the Horde and made their own faction, even if lore would dictate that. Think of guilds that would be split up, friends no longer together, players affected by suddenly having their characters swapped to some new faction. Blizzard would never force that sort of thing.
Warfish
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Maelstrom

Unread post by Warfish »

Oh, I agree Veph, it's a pipe dream of course.

But one can still dream.

Like all things, we all have opinions on woulda, coulda, soulda in the design of the games we play (certainly not jsut with WoW).

And to Royi, I'd pay good money to roll a Forsaken Troll os some (any) kind, but probably a Warlock. Too cool for words.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Meh, I know Sylvanus has been doing some questionable things (Mostly the Koltira incident) but I can't say she's LK/LQ material. Arthas could give a crap about the undead, he just wanted to destroy everything (Grossly shortened answer, sorry). Sylvanus is extremely concerned about her people. I've got a feeling that the Koltira incident had something to do with fear for her people, in fact... She saw one of the supposedly strongest of the Undead be weak in some way. She doesn't like weakness, but it's not like the orcs foster weaklings well either. Her way of dealing with it may be a little (lot) cruel, but it gets the job done. That's one thing about Sylvanus that makes her seem evil - she doesn't sugar coat things. If something needs to be done, she finds the most efficient way of doing it. It doesn't matter if it's morally correct or not. It helps her people in the end, so that's the Right Thing To Do.

Again, sorry for the grossly shortened answer here - there's a lot more too it, I'm sure.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Cerah wrote:I have to disagree with the idea that Sylvanus is a tyrant-in-the-making because of her treatment of new Forsaken characters, as of 4.0.3a.

When you first arise as a new Forsaken, the first quests out in Deathknell make it quite clear that the newly undead are given a choice, to either become part of the Forsaken or not. Nobody is forced into it. Another starter quest has you talk to other new Undead, and to try to convince them to join Sylvanus' cause. One joins right away. Another, a former Scarlet, runs off into the woods, and only when he attacks Deathknell with his followers are you told that you must "regretably" put him down. A third, a daughter of a Scarlet officer, runs off on her own. As far as I know, you don't see her again after the Tirstfal glades. Nobody is forced to follow the Banshee Queen, but as an Undead, it's the most logical choice.

In Silverpine, while helping the Forsaken war effort against the Worgen, Sylvanus specifically requests that you, a noob, stand beside her when she demonstrates the Val'kyr's abilities to Garrosh. After, she rides with you to the Sepulcher, telling you the story of the Forsaken personally. She's treating your character so well, taking the time to talk with you, to explain your mission personally, when you were still lying in the dirt days before. Is that the actions of a tyrant? I haven't rolled a new Orc yet, but I seriously doubt that Hellscream is so accomindating to new recruits.

Arthas was a child, playing at being an adult, doing whatever was expected of him, when the only thing he really wanted for himself was to have his horse back. After reading Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, I honestly think that the only thing Arthas ever really loved was Invincible. He was scared shitless of becoming king, of marrying Jaina and having kids of his own -- in short, of growing up. He much prefered going off to kill undead, because slaughtering things, undead or in danger (but in most examples, not yet) of becoming undead, because killing things is much easier than dealing with the living, especially if he could justify it by saying it was "for my people". Arthas was just the kind of person Frostmourne was waiting for.

Sylvanus, in contrast, was, in life, already in a position of high responsiblility. She was Ranger-General of Quel'thalas, in charge of her people's military forces, with hundreds of elves under her and the responsibility of safeguarding her kingdom. She was the opposite of Arthas, someone who did not and would never shrink from her duties. Perhaps that's what pissed him off so badly about her -- he couldn't stand her because she was the hero he could never be, for all his playing Paladin dress up. So after slaughtering her people, he denied her peace in death.

Sylvanus was too strong-willed for even the Lich King's favourite death knight and successor to control, however, and when she had her chance for freedom, she took it, but she did not take it alone. When other scourge regained their free will, she did not abandon them, like almost anyone else would have. There was always the chance that Silvermoon would have welcomed her back, even in undeath, she could have gone home. But for the formerly human undead, whose kingdom was destroyed and whose surviving human families and friends saw them as monsters, there was no chance at that, and Sylvanus did not just leave them to their fates. Instead, she took Undercity away from Arthas' forces, she made a homeland for the people of Lorderan, who had just as much claim to the land in undeath as they did in life, no matter what the Alliance thinks. She gave the Forsaken a home, a purpose, and hope for the future. In short, she did the same for her people as Thrall did for the Orcs, as Cairne did for the Tauren, and Vol'jin for the Darkspear Trolls.

She is no little kid, mad at the world for imaginary unjustices, and throwing one hell of a temper tantram, as Arthas did. Sylvanus is exactly what a leader should be -- an unwaivering advocate for her people. If that makes her evil, then every other faction leader is evil as well.
I can't agree with you. Sylvanas had an impressive life, and as you said Arthas seemed like a chicken, but now she's different. She is undead, not the ranger general of Quel'thalas. The power went to her head, and it corrupts her. I guess blizz will make a Horde quest to go and stop her madness. Because what she is doing now is madness. And after what I saw she did, I Do prefer Garrosh, he is young and not expirienced, and he does mistakes.

Edit: Seems like after more thought given, her way is a little wierd, trying to gain the trust of all the undead, like going to do a major step against someone. Supporting every single undead, its not normal. I bet the other horde leaders dont exacly have time for every person comes to them. Anyhow, the way she acts is suspecious.
Last edited by Mustafah on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

I agree with veph, they'd also have to find a way to make the forsaken 'forget' the orc language so that there isn't bad blood between the 3 fractions and you just can't split up people either, but I do agree with the fact tha you should have some mixed races for forsaken
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Mustafah wrote:I Do prefer Garrosh, he is young and not expirienced, and he does mistakes.
For some reason I think you left out a BUT. You just made a argument why one wouldn't prefer Garrosh.

As for Koiltra (misspell) theres more backstory going on that isn't there. Perhaps Sylvanas views Alliance DK's such as Thalrassian as traitors perhaps....

I'm curious to see what Koiltra becomes or turns into (or just gets UBER strong), maybe he's going to become the Undead equivalent to Saurfang.

I think Saurfang should lead the horde. Is he just standing idly by on all this now that his son was defeated?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Royi....a father needs to mourn and get a chance to bury his son.....

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Taluwen wrote:Royi....a father needs to mourn and get a chance to bury his son.....
is that what he's doing? If so I'm totally cool with that, take your time Mr. Saurfang. I don't know the timeframe, I figured the shattering was maybe 1 year or so after the LK defeat.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Royi wrote:
Taluwen wrote:Royi....a father needs to mourn and get a chance to bury his son.....
is that what he's doing? If so I'm totally cool with that, take your time Mr. Saurfang. I don't know the timeframe, I figured the shattering was maybe 1 year or so after the LK defeat.
There was no time skip involving the Shattering. :) All the events we've been seeing is real-time so I'd say....a few months at best since the lich kings defeat.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

What we also need to remember is that Saurfang is pretty old. He's a veteran of all three Azeroth wars (and most likely the war against the Draenei too), and he's been trough a lot lately. First he got forced to try and train Garrosh. Then his son died. Hen he tried to train Garrosh some more. Then his son died. The grief from his son's deaths might just get "the killing blow", so to speak. Either way, I wouldn't be surprisd if he passes away soon. Orca are pretty short-lived, and he's already venerable.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I think Sylvanus :headbang: is a lot less evil then the Alliance ever was (or is), don't get me wrong dwarves are cool, very down to earth kind of people I like that, gnomes are great for making cookies with :lol: jk I feel for them losing their home like the trolls, the space goats and NEs are neutral (NE mages are not to be trusted for obvious reasons) Humans are to blame for the evil, they have enslaved others like animals just to have them fight to the death (sorry but thats as evil as it gets), almost destroyed the world (several times) possessed or not humans rank #1 in almost destroying the world (night elves come in second). They have an unreasonable fear of anything different therefore feel justified in trying to kill all Horde (and most other things in the world that don't side with them.) Thrall (when he was our leader) tried very hard to make peace with them (exp. Wraith Gate quest line), Jaina seems to be one of the VERY few humans who are not Horephobic (Nat Pagle seems to be a good friend of out fishing trainer in Org). Also ambushing innocent people seems to be their MO when getting what they want. In short Sylvanus seems to be a saint in comparison to anything the "high and mighty humans" :roll: has ever done, so singling her out for ONE, count them ONE thing she did for her people that to some might seem evil, seems one sided :mrgreen:

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

I'm still kinda buzzed on by the Koltira thing since I quite like Koltira and Thassarians relantionship the way it is. I'd hate to see Sylvanas break that bond they share when even under the Lich Kings rule....but this won't make me hate her, it's just like I told Saturo, a lot to take in which make me question why I like her again.

This also makes me nervous will she try to steal the Knights of the Ebon Blade from Mograine.
But I think (this might have been mentioned in the Garrosh thread) on regarding her bringing back powerful lore characters such as Illidan...Kael'thas and the lot.
I think it would be impossible seeing as it took Arthas to sacrifice the Sunwell to resurect Kel'thuzad...you would need a powerful magical energy or something to bring back something powerful.

Overall...I will wait and see what she does. But I will cry if she ruins Koltira and Thassarian, like well make them kill eachother, I can totally see her doing it.
Why am I here when I am supposed to be sleeping....STOP MAKING interesting threads.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Sonnie, you're here because my psychic powers commanded you to.

I doubt she'll do much to Koltira and Thassarian's bond. She might break Koltira down, making him essentially a mindless killing machine, but I'm sure Thassarian's would beat some sense into him if they were pitted against each other.

Now I kinda' want to see that...

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Saturo wrote:Sonnie, you're here because my psychic powers commanded you to.

I doubt she'll do much to Koltira and Thassarian's bond. She might break Koltira down, making him essentially a mindless killing machine, but I'm sure Thassarian's would beat some sense into him if they were pitted against each other.

Now I kinda' want to see that...
...Did you plant a psychic probe on me while I slept? Gah stop making me want to see it...damnit!

@Rawr
(I feel that I am responding to a trolling post but no matter)
I think you kiiinda getting overboard with the humans evil thing...as much as I hate humanity in general. It is said in the description that they are a young race.
And ambussing seriosly you think other factions don't do it?

I'll just quit while I am ahead since I am getting a bit ticked off and tired. REAL TIRED.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

The psychic probe frightens and arouses you. Admit it.

Well, it would make sense if humans have he most bad guys. They are very numerous. For every human NPC we see, about ten more exist unseen. Of course they're bound to have twice as many bad guys as nelves when thei population is about twenty times that of the nelves.

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

I wouldn't mind a lich queen imo. Though I'm also pretty upset with the whole Koltira incident. I hope Thassarian saves him.

I also ship KoltiraxThassarian.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

Mustafah wrote: I can't agree with you. Sylvanas had an impressive life, and as you said Arthas seemed like a chicken, but now she's different. She is undead, not the ranger general of Quel'thalas. The power went to her head, and it corrupts her. I guess blizz will make a Horde quest to go and stop her madness. Because what she is doing now is madness. And after what I saw she did, I Do prefer Garrosh, he is young and not expirienced, and he does mistakes.
I have to disagree back. Sylvanus still cares about the blood elves, even in undeath. It was mostly her influence that got the blood elves into the Horde in the first place. She didn't just abandon them in their time of need, like the Alliance did. She just had to take care of herself and the Forsaken first, that's all.
Mustafah wrote: Edit: Seems like after more thought given, her way is a little wierd, trying to gain the trust of all the undead, like going to do a major step against someone. Supporting every single undead, its not normal. I bet the other horde leaders dont exacly have time for every person comes to them. Anyhow, the way she acts is suspecious.
So ... would your definition of a "normal" leader be one who doesn't take the time and effort to know his/her people? One that doesn't care?

That's a scary definition of normal.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Feath3r
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Feath3r »

Chrizesu wrote:I wouldn't mind a lich queen imo. Though I'm also pretty upset with the whole Koltira incident. I hope Thassarian saves him.

I also ship KoltiraxThassarian.
I'm thinking at the very least there will be a questline (Possibly Horde and Alliance) were you help him save Koltira, though the way saving people seems to be going in WoW Koltira will end up a Dungeon/Raid boss and we'll have to kill him. :(

Me too :D