Play change

12gunner
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: nesingwary

Play change

Unread post by 12gunner »

With all the stories of how hard the new dungeons are and having to relearn some key aspects of your class, has anyone actually switched the way they play from doing tons of dungeons and no pvp to tons of pvp and no dungeons? I know I have.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Play change

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nope.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I never dungeoned much. Probably won't until it gets more over-geared, because I'll have hit 85. Or, more likely, I'll it 85, and then go level my warlock.

When most people were taught how to CC and stuff in BC and Vanilla, I never got those chances. Am I horrible idiot of a player because of it? Not really, I was just never taught. So instead of dragging PuGs down, I'll probably get a few guildies together and run stuff with them.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Azunara wrote:I never dungeoned much. Probably won't until it gets more over-geared, because I'll have hit 85. Or, more likely, I'll it 85, and then go level my warlock.

When most people were taught how to CC and stuff in BC and Vanilla, I never got those chances. Am I horrible idiot of a player because of it? Not really, I was just never taught. So instead of dragging PuGs down, I'll probably get a few guildies together and run stuff with them.
Pretty much the same with me.

LisaaraPokefarm

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I haven't changed. I always loved doing dungeons, and I still do. The new Cata dungeons are awesome in design and encounters, and I wish the queues were shorter.

I know some people have bad encounters with the LFD tool, and I understand how that could turn you off randoms, but out of the many randoms I've done since Cata, I've only had one or two really bad runs. I shrug it off and requeue. ;)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

No; I played in TBC, so I know what hard heroics are, and I know how to CC (save when traps/launchers decide to bug out). I very much enjoy putting skill and knowledge to good use in hard heroics, when running with good groups--I like feeling like I'm actually contributing good use.

I AM doing a lot more PvP, but that's because I've made hunter my new main. During WotLK, I played Fire mage for PvP, but they took my knockback/changed the playstyle. I tried Frost, but it feels cheap, almost like I'm cheating, so it's just not fun. So my challenger is lvl 80 and hasn't been logged on since WotLK, and I'm discovering the joys of bugged post-summon pet HP, traps not working, trap launchers not working, deterrance not working, master's call having a stupidly short range...
fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Unread post by fatman »

I stopped tanking groups on my Druid for now. I couldn't get the hang of the new cooldowns.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

fatman wrote:I stopped tanking groups on my Druid for now. I couldn't get the hang of the new cooldowns.
I wish others would. I swear, all the idiots from horde-side on Moon Guard race changed to worgens, especially druids, and cant tank. And being a druid myself at heart, I cut some slack on bears and warriors because of how they work. But damn dude, the ones I've seen are making rookie, stupid mistakes lately.

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I do heroics far less - I enjoy them, since I've played since vanilla and am used to FD+CC and so on. They just take longer and are a lot more rigorous. Thus, more draining.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:I do heroics far less - I enjoy them, since I've played since vanilla and am used to FD+CC and so on. They just take longer and are a lot more rigorous. Thus, more draining.
Me too, definitely. And people arent patient. They leave like after 2 or 3 wipes.

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Definitely not. I've seen people bail because the planets aligned and it's a day ending in y. It's remarkably fickle.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:Definitely not. I've seen people bail because the planets aligned and it's a day ending in y. It's remarkably fickle.
Seriously. It's just not worth it these days.

LisaaraPokefarm

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I've quit hunters. Simple as that. I might play a lowbie hunter, but I don't like high-level ones anymore. It isn't that it's more complex, I just find it less fun. My mains now is about equal split between death knight and mage, warlocks having grown boring as well.

I like the new, hard heroics. I don't like the players in them. I haven't been running much heroics lately, I think I'll just wait a month or two until the casuals realize they suck, and leave the heroics for those who can play. It just ain't fun to wipe four times because Mr. Prot-Pally doesn't realize that fire hurts.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Felidire
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary(A/H), Wyrmrest Accord(H)

Unread post by Felidire »

Actually I've always done tons of PvP since the release of TBC, it's challenging and fun. I've noticed that i've started doing a lot more random dungeons now that they're actually a challenge for the first time in... what, 4.5 years?

I ignore the stories, because the majority of them are written by TBC/WOTLK-headed people who complain and want ez-mode PvE lootstuffs. xD

I've tanked heroics on my DK and ran a couple on my BM hunter, and they're not all that difficult; in fact they're very enjoyable.. Provided that you don't have a loser group who all complain and quit and blame eachother (but that's the norm in PvP anyways.) <3

|Felidire| - |Harkoa| - dA - |Kibblepaws| - |Tiril|
B/W: Feli // 0347 2599 7931

sXe Angel
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Vek'Nilash (US - Ally)

Unread post by sXe Angel »

I've changed things up a bit, find I'm actually needing/being asked to use traps for CC more often now. Since I've been playing on and off since pre-BC I've had to run around in world with a couple guildies willing to let me 'practice' with the trap launcher and trapping a bit on things in the middle of nowhere so I can get better skilled at it. -lol- Helps to have a couple friends around to laugh about stuff with and who can point out improvements they notice. Now that I'm decently geared for Cata norms, I've been turning my attention back to pvp and working on getting my lvl 85 honor point pvp set squared away once more, along with hitting up WG with some pals who are fresh to the 80's and haven't been there ever. Always helps to have someone with experience in a BG jump in with ya to offer up pointers in vent the first couple times you run through it.

Also been someone who normally gets asked to tag along with the guild group doing old-world content for guild achievements on the weekends. It's fun, and many of us who are 85 got a good laugh last weekend when we ran the heroic ICC 5-mans over finally seeing drops we'd wanted so bad at 80 but never got. There was plenty of 'That would have been so awesome, 5 lvls ago' that night.

Been helping my bro out a lot with his hunter as well, working with improving his skills and getting him to understand that kiting/trapping mobs (yes, even trash) and staying mobile on many boss fights in Cata dungeons are necessary skills to not die as well as needed skills for raiding. He prefers to pick a spot and shoot the mob until it dies, which is why I party with him as often as I can when doing randoms, so I can as the 'annoying little sister' call him out on stuff, such as 'Don't be a idiot and stand in the fire, bro.' in party chat and stuff and be able to pst him the things he's gotta be ready to do on each boss fight. He's learning, and it's making both of us improve the more we roll randoms together.
http://i28.tinypic.com/11szgx1.jpg
^Supports my theory that CM Punk would roll a hunter in WoW.^
amrasillias
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar EU

Unread post by amrasillias »

I'm starting to like my hunter more and more.
First I had to get used to the focus system. check
Switched my main spec back to SV. check
Then I had to get back to my old level of dps. check

Played since the start of Burning Crusade so I learned to cc back then. Now it pays off and i'm having fun again with dungeons. Dreaded when they took volley from us, but I now see why :)

PvP I only play with a purpose (certain achievements or mounts) but not for fun so no I did not change my play style.
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

I haven't seriously considered on going back to playing hunter as my main again, but it does feel very tempting now that there's more cc involved. But I'm going to stick to my priest and raiding with him for now. I'll occasionally do pvp, but it does not interest me all that much.
I ignore the stories, because the majority of them are written by TBC/WOTLK-headed people who complain and want ez-mode PvE lootstuffs. xD
This seems to unfortunately be very common. I have a few friends who've started playing in wotlk and they're absolutely brilliant players, but I do hope their patience will last through the "new" heroics/raids with cc and the fact that you can't just roflstomp through the content.