Steelseries WoW mouse

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Steelseries WoW mouse

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Does anyone have one of these???

I'm really thinking of getting one. I've found several on eBay for extremely cheap that are the new Cataclysm model.

How easy is it to set up??

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Re: Steelseries WoW mouse

Unread post by Rarako »

I've got one of the original models for the WoW mouse. Since I received a working one (long story but not Steelseries fault, their customer support is excellent) I have really been pleased. I really like the button placement and how easy it is to map keybinds. The cord on this guy is woven-nylon rapped so there is very little ware and tare on the inner cords (plus pets tend to leave them alone) and the external "wings" are surprisingly nice for keeping your whole hand on the mouse and off the mouse pad. All in all, it just feels sturdy. I have very small hands and I never thought I would be able to handle such a big mouse but once I got used to it I don't know if I could ever go back.

P.S. The side D-pad is great for setting up another way to run and strafe or mapping defensive, aggressive, and passive stances for pets for on the fly changes.

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

I personally hate corded mice. I'm thinking of getting the Naga Epic.

I found a review on the mouse to give you an idea of how to set it up and such.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/21/re ... ing-mouse/
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I have one and plan on upgrading to the Cata-designed one. It's awesome!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I found the first one felt really cheap. If they came out with a cordless version of the mouse I would take another look at it.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I have the original, but I've never used any other gaming mouse so all I can compare it to is the original 2-button.

Be aware that when you keybind things with this mouse (again, dunno bout the new one, just the original!), you will sometimes get error messages upon login that the "World of Warcraft gaming mouse could not be found" etc. It's a simple thing to go into your Interface and tick "Find WoW Gaming Mouse," but sometimes you won't see the error, go into arena/bgs and wonder why on earth none of your binds are working!

It's a largish mouse, I'd say definitely built for a man's hand. I have small hands, and the way I hold it, my thumb rests on the side d-pad, rendering it useless for binds (as I'd constantly be accidentally pressing them simply by moving the mouse). My hand cannot cover the entire mouse even if I stretch it.

The lighting effects and feel of the mouse are nice, it's accurate, comfortable, you can choose the glow color/pulse settings, it has a lot of buttons and it's got a nice weight--oh, and it's durable too.

Reminder: all of this is the original. I can't speak for the new one!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Acherontia wrote:I have the original, but I've never used any other gaming mouse so all I can compare it to is the original 2-button.

Be aware that when you keybind things with this mouse (again, dunno bout the new one, just the original!), you will sometimes get error messages upon login that the "World of Warcraft gaming mouse could not be found" etc. It's a simple thing to go into your Interface and tick "Find WoW Gaming Mouse," but sometimes you won't see the error, go into arena/bgs and wonder why on earth none of your binds are working!

It's a largish mouse, I'd say definitely built for a man's hand. I have small hands, and the way I hold it, my thumb rests on the side d-pad, rendering it useless for binds (as I'd constantly be accidentally pressing them simply by moving the mouse). My hand cannot cover the entire mouse even if I stretch it.

The lighting effects and feel of the mouse are nice, it's accurate, comfortable, you can choose the glow color/pulse settings, it has a lot of buttons and it's got a nice weight--oh, and it's durable too.

Reminder: all of this is the original. I can't speak for the new one!
You got tiny hands like me. x3 I can barely reach the D-pad with my thumb.

LisaaraPokefarm

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

From when my boyfriend did research on the original WoW mouse, it got really horrible reviews and I ended up getting a Logitech G5 (which Logitech doesn't make anymore. :( ). My G5 just died and I've replaced it with a Razer Naga, which I'm loving so far. :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I can't speak for the newer versions of the WoW mouse (I was able to test the original and didn't care for the way it felt), but I'll throw in my vote for the Logitech ones for sure. I've had the G5 myself for years...I'll be so upset when it finally dies. :lol: My boyfriend replaced his with the G500 and it's very similar, so I'll probably grab one of those next. They're really excellent quality.
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Speaking of mice.. mouses... er...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Razer+-+Nag ... &cp=1&lp=1
DO WANT. But! I do have 1 question that will make or break me buying it. The number pad on the side; if I hit 3, will it activate whatever I have the 3 key set to? Because if it does, I will sell my car to afford it.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I've tried the Steelseries, and it's far too large for me. Very uncomfortable too. Right now I use a Razer Tron I won recently, I like that I can use it with either hand, getting to use the left one feels good. *Ambidextrous*

Was a pain to turn off the sound though. :/

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Cozzene wrote:Speaking of mice.. mouses... er...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Razer+-+Nag ... &cp=1&lp=1
DO WANT. But! I do have 1 question that will make or break me buying it. The number pad on the side; if I hit 3, will it activate whatever I have the 3 key set to? Because if it does, I will sell my car to afford it.
The Razer Naga is, by default, set to your standard bars (the 1-= keys above your letters on a keyboard), however, there's a switch on the bottom that lets you swap it to the numpad.

My boyfriend and I just bought the Naga and we love it so far. All of the lights it has are capable of being turned off (we turn ours off at night because every little teeny light bothers him :P ), and the thumb pad at the side is a lot less awkward than it looks. They even give you trainer stickers to help you learn the placement of all the buttons.
Last edited by TygerDarkstorm on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

That is amazing, I was hoping for that. I will now get one next pay day.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Saturo wrote: *Ambidextrous*
*highly jealous*

On a slightly more on-topic note, I can't say I've been entirely happy with my Razor Naga. Most of the side buttons are simply unreachable for me unless I contort my thumb something ridiculous, and the buttons to the left of the main left button are too far away to be useful. So for the side buttons it seems my hand is too big, and for the other ones that it's too small. Go figure...
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

With the far back side buttons (roughly 7-12), it's recommended to learn to use them with the back of your thumb, or skip them entirely, or use them for non-important things like buffs. The two side buttons I don't have an issue with either, I press them with my index finger. The bottom of those two buttons defaults to autorun (and works as a back button on your browser ;) ).

[/center]
seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

i had a original steelserries wow mouse. it was awesome at first, but after about 3 mo the finish started to "rub" off showing dull white plastic underneath, kinda disapointing but not a deal breaker so i kept using it, bout a month after that the LEDs went out. that kinda erked me as i had it set to the color scheme of my computer. but i kept usin it, then only a few days after the LEDs went out the left mouse button would randomly get stuck.. and then i sent steelserries a email about the warranty because well i expected more from a expensive mouse(it was at the time). the reply i got was that even tho it all happened within 6mo of purchase all the problems were considered by them as normal wear and tear and therefor not covered by the warranty.

so yeah i trashed it and went back to my Logitech G5 that is 4 years old, and still works and looks as good as the day i bought it along with just being more responsive.

ill never buy nor even touch the steelserries crap again. when i took the old one apart prior to tossing it, its nothing but cheap thin plastic, cheap single access mouse buttons (hence the sticking) and the LED wires were poorly soldered as they had broke (hence the LEDs going out)

my 2 cent, buy a logitech or RAZER. atleast with those you get good craftsmanship along with a no BS warranty. if it breaks or malfunctions, its replaced.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Thank you so much everyone!! Being a female with small hands it seems that yes the Steelseries mouse will not work. It does look big and bulky to me and as mentioned like cheap painted plastic.

I LOVE the look of the Razer Naga. Simple but elegant. Like me. :lol: :D
I am also looking at the Logitech G500 which seems to be the cheapest in price over the three with the Steelseries being the most expensive.

Again thanks for the replies on this. Huge help.

Another question is it seems between manufacturers the button amount varies. Will I need 12+ buttons or would the 10 buttons be enough.
This is all 100% new to me so I'm trying to learn all I can before putting $60 into something that may not work for me.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

i would 100% go with the naga. my neighbor has had one for over a year, and while when i first used it, it was kinda confusing, but after a lil while it was SOOOO much easier. its not nearly as big as the pics make it out to be, its actually about the same size as a normal gaming mouse. and if you text on ur phone you'll be a step ahead on learning to use ur thumb for ur action bars. which is so much more easier and you can multi bind it the naga ex: 2, and then also shit+2 or ctrl +2. almost eliminating ur keyboard except for modifiers.

and as a matter a fact i literally just ordered a naga lol

also in the fact of button, you dont NEED a multi button mouse. its more of a preference. if you like more control with your mouse then you want more buttons, but if you cant handle the "intricate" you could say push's to get somethin you may want a regular well build mouse and stick with a keyboard. i for one right now only use 1,2,3,4 of my num keys as i would have to life my hand to hit the rest and i HATE that. so i like having a multi button mouse as i can just use it + modifiers, and it also eliminates haveing to manually move the mouse to click on ur action bars which im sure alot of peeps can agree can get you killed in the heat of a fight.

its all personal preference. and like best buy. if you buy it and dont like it, just return it no harm done. there quite cheap on best buy atm.

sorry for the novel, i build gaming rigs (computers) for a living so ive used most anything ment for gaming and im OCD and a perfectionist when it comes to building and gaming lol.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

while steelseries is big for my hand, I still like it and was able to adjust to it. And I've got really small hands too(seriously, my ring size is a 5 or 6....). But it's really worth getting and I love the customization.

LisaaraPokefarm

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm thinking of getting the Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard. This would allow me to use my normal mouse for non wow stuff.