Clever scam...almost...

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Clever scam...almost...

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Got an email today saying my account was being flagged that I was trying to sell it. I was a bit thrown off at first, in the return address it showed @blizzard.com as the person it came from...but the email it was sent to, while it does have a battle.net attached to it, it has no games connected to it. I don't remember why I originally made the account, but it never had anything on it.

Anyways, as you can see in the pic, it looked pretty good...but hover over the link provided gives an obvious other link to another site that wasn't the actual battle.net site (tho I did look at it, and quickly scanned my comp afterwards, but it looks exactly like the bnet site.) If you copy-paste the link you obviously get the actual battle.net site, but clickable link goes to a copycat. Anyways, keep yer eye open for this one...another thing was the crappy grammar, heh.

fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Re: Clever scam...almost...

Unread post by fatman »

I got a few of that too, once in a while. I make sure to forward it to Blizzard's customer service with full headers.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article. ... ake+e-mail

I'd love to say that getting Blizzard e-mails in your spam folder is a sure sign of it being fake but I got a few legitimate Blizzard e-mails in my spam folder too. At this point, it is better to use an e-mail for forum and public stuff exclusively while maintaining another one for financial and private stuff.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

My WoW account has its own email - nothing else goes on it. I haven't had a single spam mail to the actual email, but I get tons on my personal email. I was almost concerned for a moment, and then I realized that they were being sent to my personal email and not the important one. They're a little slow, it seems. :P

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

My wow account is on another email as well and I never received spam on it...but this is one of the first spams I've ever gotten too. I forwarded the email with the header info to the hacks people at Blizz.

Not much makes it's way into my spam folder...Blizzard's stuff never does for me anyways.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

The same email I used to get during the Beta testing, but with a background. So many things wrong with that email besides bogus links. First one is Blizzard will never ask you for your password. 2nd one is they don't have 2011 for Blizzard Entertainment.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yeah. I think this was posted before.....like months ago back before Cata came out.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

it's so easy: Blizzard doesn't send warnings.
They've said it themselves.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

"if you ignore this email your account can and will be closed permanately".

wow, just wow.... like they would put that threat in a email. Like Suku said, they would just put a block on your account entirely and then wait for you to call them directly.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

gotta be realistic.
how exactly would it "come to their attention" that you were planning on selling your account?
I highly doubt Blizzard monitors Craig's List or Ebay for WoW accounts up for sale.

If they thought you were selling your account, they wouldn't hesitate to just lock it down. They certainly wouldn't send you a nice warning first. Don't we consistently read about Bliz locking accounts for trivial matters on the various forums? That sort of indicates that they never take the time to "warn" anyone. They just do it.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.