FW: What's next for World of Warcraft

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

FW: What's next for World of Warcraft

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Source: Yahoo Gaming News
Time flies when you're having fun -- especially in Azeroth.

With the release of Cataclysm (Buy | Search) on Dec. 7, 2010, the dragon Deathwing decimated the World of Warcraft, introducing an onslaught of new features. Players have enjoyed a whole new leveling experience, an increased level cap, a new profession in Archaeology, and all-new dungeons and raids.

But that's old news. Barely two months into the game's latest, greatest expansion, Warcraft players are already champing at the bit for something new and exciting. Some players have barely scratched the surface of its heroic dungeons, and a few hardcore raiders have killed every raid boss there is, but they all have one question in mind: Whatcha got for us next, Blizzard?

Patch 4.1

During the life cycle of each Warcraft expansion, Blizzard releases a bazillion patches. Most of them just fix game bugs and other issues, but a glorious few provide real additions to the game. Patch 4.1, as it's called, will be Cataclysm's first major content patch. While many of the details -- including any eventual release date -- remain shrouded in mystery, we do know a few things about what to expect in 4.1.

For starters, the end-game will expand to welcome the new Firelands raid. In Mount Hyjal, one of the new Cataclysm zones, players pushed back an invasion by the enormous fire elemental known as Ragnaros. The raid on the Firelands -- a, um, fiery land in which Ragnaros is hiding -- likely will end that storyline, and definitely will allow players to face Rags himself.

A new area for daily quests is expected to pop up in Mount Hyjal, too. Just as the new raid will continue parts of the zone's storyline, the new quest area will continue others, as players continue to heal the damage done by Ragnaros and Deathwing.

Patch 4.1 also will introduce a new five-man dungeon in Vashj'ir, Cataclysm's underwater zone. The dungeon itself is set to be completely submerged, which should create some never-before-seen boss mechanics. The all-underwater nature of Vashj'ir rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, so we can probably expect Blizzard to pull out all the stops in designing this place.

Maps and Storage
The folks at Blizzard are cooking up a few quality-of-life improvements that should see the light of day in the relatively near future. First up will be a new system for storing tabards, those shirt-like things that players wear over their armor and display various emblems. Collecting dozens of tabards can be a pain when you don't have anywhere to keep them, so Blizzard is working on a sort of virtual coat-rack so they stop taking up a bunch of bags in your bank.

Players can also look forward to enhanced maps, which should make dungeons a little easier. Currently, Warcraft's default maps just show the locations of players and bosses, but the new maps will add such helpful features as loot lists and basic information on boss abilities.

Deathwing
You just know the final fight against Cataclysm's big baddie will pack a punch -- a giant, flaming punch. I mean, Deathwing tore Azeroth apart and calls himself the Aspect of Death. The dude's no pushover, unlike that ridiculous Lich King fellow. We don't know anything about the where, the when or the how, but we're sure Warcraft players will eventually face off against Deathwing himself, and it will be epic.

Dance Studio
Years ago, Blizzard promised players a dance studio, which would allow them to customize the way their characters dance. Sounds awesome, right? Well, after years of "it's coming, we promise," the dance studio remains the most famous unfulfilled promise in Warcraft's history. No one has ever declared the concept dead and buried, so we could conceivably see it someday. But for now, you're probably better off just buying Dance Central.

Expansion No. 4 (and Beyond)
All we know about Warcraft's next expansion is that it will arrive...someday. Even the end of the world in 2012 probably wouldn't slow down Blizzard for long. So what sort of new features can we expect in the fourth expansion? Level 100? Playable Pandaren? A new character class? I'm still holding out hope for the bard Blizzard teased us all with a few years ago.
MMmmmmmm ...................... exciting stuff.
Last edited by zedxrgal on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Re: FW: What's next for World of Warcraft

Unread post by Tahlian »

Is there a source for this?

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Edit: Source added

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Unread post by fatman »

Whoa! Yahoo! Gaming News? I never knew they cared.

I love the dungeon maps. Now I will only get lost half the time. BTW, I just did Sunken Temple last week and it has been simplified, thank the Earthmother!
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

fatman wrote:BTW, I just did Sunken Temple last week and it has been simplified, thank the Earthmother!
Bah. Back in myyyy day you were expected to be lost in that place for at least four hours a run. Kids these days have it too easy... ;)
bluddy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by bluddy »

dance studio???? *flirts with blizz game developers*
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Anyia wrote:
fatman wrote:BTW, I just did Sunken Temple last week and it has been simplified, thank the Earthmother!
Bah. Back in myyyy day you were expected to be lost in that place for at least four hours a run. Kids these days have it too easy... ;)
This change actually severely pissed me off. I LOVED this dungeon so much for the puzzle, now it's just like any other dungeon, 'run in, e-z-mode finding bosses, kill, loot, over...' At least I still have my Zul'Farrak...

Granted, I may have been the only one who liked this dungeon b/c I was one of the few who had the strategy, order, and mechanics of each boss memorized in my head like a mathbook has formulas...

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Oh hell no. ST.

I hate, hate, hate, hate that place.

Here I am, and someone told me to spec tanky for insta-queues. So, being the subordinate person I am, I switched tanky spec on Azu. We get DM. I tolerate that, we pull it off more or less. The next day, I'm dragged back for tanking. Sunken Temple. Okay.

Well, we get lost. Then we finally kill some dragons, and then this happens.

DPS: "Eranikus lol!"
Me: "We need to clear all the dragons."
DPS: "GOGOGOGOGOGO."
Me: "DRAGONS."
DPS: "PULL NOOB."
Me: "Fine. You want Eranikus, I will give you frakking Eranikus."

We go in, all the baby dragons say hi, and we wipe. There's a silence, and then:

DPS: "Dragons..."

That was pretty much the one thing that killed my desire to tank.

THAT SAID, I'll stop derailing. I'm not sure if they'll give us another expansion, really. Don't they have some huge new game coming out? I'm guessing WoW players will migrate to that.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I thought that I read somewhere that they were definitely planning on making at least one more expac.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

Was I the only person who actually slapped their forehead with their hand in disbelief that someone would bring up an old old April Fools Day joke with the Bard?

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.